*Hot Pok*member
4 posts

Posted:
HI Guys and Gals,I was just wondering if any of you had come up with any new fire toys or ideas for Fire PLAY? I have been twirling for a few years and have been wraping my brain to think of new designes to play with!The best thing i have come up with is an invention called "The ASTRO Stick" Which consists of a 1.5m staff with a chain about half its length attched to one end and attched to the chain is a basket in which you put steel wool! Does it work! Shit yeah its awesome! The Idea is that the ball on the end keeps the staff spinning so that max spinns can be acheved with little assistance. I dont have a huge amount of tricks worked out but from what tricks there are it looks mad! I have sent a photo preveosly of me using the Astro Stick (though I havent seen it put up yet) So if anyone wanted to Know who Paul Blain from Comboyne NSW Australia is Thats Me. I dont have my owne computure but am doing a course at tafe so i can get online pretty easy.Basicly What im trying to say is if any one wants to shear some ideas feel free to tell me my idea sucks and yours is better but my goal is to get that createve juice pumping agen.Oh, One last thing Could someone please send me a Designe For a set of fire fans.I havent even an idea on how to get started.Thanks.Keep our world Green!Root Frogs!

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I dont have a clue what your idea looks like or does from your description.. *buffudled*But I have an idea to make two short poi connected to a short stick, then the two bottoms of the stick can connect (or detach) to make a short staff with poi on the ends.. could look pretty neat and open up some new tricks.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So it's a kind of outsize fire morning star thing is it Hot Pok?Astro-stick? Your name?

Meh

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
right now i am in the process of building a set of fire flags (the all fabric no pole kind) it is an interesting process, i'm still determining the final design. i haven't lit up with them yet but after i practice with them a bit more i'm sure they'll be great to play with. smile

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
fire flags? hmm...can you give some details on these?(Malcolm, are you listening...? wink)

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Melissa, Fire flags ????? found a big enough piece of kevlar ???? make you sure you post a pic !! good luck but please take care, we don't want you burning your fan dancing little hands winkHot Pok, about fire fans, please check my previous thread called "where can I buy fire fans", I think there are many infos in that one.Shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 28 November 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
i saw some samoan fire knives for sale on a website, but the picture wasnt available. neone know nething about this? i get the strange feeling that i should own a pair..............------------------Flame on!

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
it will take a bit of time before i can report back on how well the flags work, i'm going to allow myself a couple months of practice time before i light those things up (yes cassandra, i like my hands wink ). the design is still in the trial and error phase but experimenting is part of the fun. the kevlar that i got is big (square yard) but the weave on it sucks (it is more like cheesecloth than wick...)so i'm not sure how it will hold up under strenuous use. if it works then great (this kevlar weave is a lot cheaper than the weave that you find on things like gloves or wick) but if not i'll have a better idea of what to do in the future. has anyone else had any luck building non-rod fire flags?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Astro stick. Sounds interesting. I've been playing with something similer. I put about ten inches of chain on both ends of my staff with the wick on the end of that. just did it a few days ago, but I've been coming with some cool shit. Also, me and some of my freinds that study kung fu are playing with three section staffs, spear forms, and my favorite: the chain whip (like poi, but with a five or six foot chain). we've all got burns and bruses but it's been great fun.

Jesus helps me trick people.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i love that damn chain whip. i really need to get a real one. they are soo much fun...

anyone got a light?

pinkbuddhamember
12 posts

Posted:
what is the weave like on your fire flags? is it possible to get kevlar in an extremely thin silk-like weave? i made a pair of fire chopsticks. i know it sounds ridiculous but it looks really cool, you use them like glowsticks, but you can do nice fire transfer effects and eat off of them or spit off of them. ill post some pics when i get my act together

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
There is a place to buy fire swords.. which are really cool.. they self light. smile always an added bonus. smileWonder how well they work... hmmm.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
If you are looking for good pieces of kevlar try going to a sail maker. Yes the sailboat kind. Modern sails are made of kevlar, and the weave is even tighter than on a wick. The only problem is that it is so stiff that they can be hard to twirl. Try putting them is the washing machine with some fabric softener, and then rincing it out in fresh water first. I have never tried this, but they should have scrap laying around they will probably give you for free, or at most a demonstration when you get them made smile.[This message has been edited by Strings (edited 03 December 2001).]

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.

*Hot Pok*member
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the feed back people; you really know how to make a twirler feel welcome.Any one who dose not understand how the astro stick works or is put together it will all become clear soon i will send a photo of it! (AGAIN) Trust me Sponge it's mad!Has any body heard about a Re-fuleing staff?Supposedly, The staff has a small hole that goes all the way through the centre, the idea being as the staff spins gravity pulls the fuel to the wicks so Re-fuelling happens half as often as normal. This is not something that I have tried but something a member of the audience said to me after a gig.He also mentioned it was quite heavy once flued up.To me it sounded good in theory but wont Know if I don't go! So if any one has tested or used something like this let me know.Also I had a gig last night put on by Slippery Sirkus and it was pretty mad. The main act was a hula hoop dancer (Ophelia minogue) she was awesome! The other act was a clown guy by the name of (Tony Rook) he was pretty sick too! Any hoo,the main reason Im telling you this is because, I was talking to Ophelia and she started telling me about an invention called (Metro Chain) or something, it consists of one length of chain (length depending your size) and a wick at each end. I spouse its like a bendy staff, So if any one has any idea what it is exactly I'm going on about or has any thing to add let me know! K! OK! Thanks

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
That's a Meteor that is. You can find stuff about it here. https://www.blanketfort.com/juggling/chain.html#meteor

Meh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
thank you pinkbuddha..you just gave me an awesome idea...Mini-staff sticks that are a little bigger than glowsticks..to be held like glowsticks. A wick at each end of the stick...might look hella cool dancing with them. *adds this idea to list of ideas to try*------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
the kevlar that i am experimenting with for the flags is the stuff that they use when building boats. it is very fluid as far as movement but the tightness of the weave sucks. rather than having thousands of threads tightly rolled and then woven into a fabric form similar to like a t-shirt weave it is more like strands of kevlar that are loosely woven together like a sweater. because it is so loose if you pull it a certain way it creates a hole in between the horizontal and diagnal threads. hopefully that description makes sense. the things that i am building are definatly in the experimental phase. the sail material sounds like an interesting option though.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Cartman, will you stop saying Hella!!!!
Non-Https Image Link

Meh

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
Mellisa, I know what yu are talking about, and it is meant to be sandwiched then epoxyed over... Not a great material. The sail thing i suggested might work, but I was thinking about it after i posted it, and have a couple of reservatons you might want to think about. The first is that sail kevlar is very thin, so it may not light for long ( possibly sewing a regular wick into the ends could help this), the other thing is that they are laminated over, and this could be a major problem... But if you can get some that hasn't been laminated yet it should work.

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
pretty much what i was thinking is that since the kevlar fabric that i have kinda sucks as far as wick is that it would be used as more of a visual element rather than relying on it for the main wick area. pretty much with flags it helps to put more weight at the bottom to inprove their swing and to do that i was going to use better quality wick material in that area. i was planning on the bottom weight/wick being a series of internal small poi-like wicks (so that it can still be flexible) that can act as the main fire points. i'm definatly considering using the sail material for flag experiment #2 though. one of the ideas that i was playing with is using sterno can gell for the fuel for the flags. heard that using that stuff is a napalm like no no but i wonder if it would be good for smearing on in a thin layer when using toys that are based on a sheet of kevlar fabric like flags are. any thoughts on this?