Forums > Social Chat > Does anyone here love fantasy books? Or use Fictionpress/ Fanfiction

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
kakapopoiSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
confused is there anyone out there who loves fantasy books? it seems noone really does! eek

harry potter? Black Jewels? His Dark Materials? Tamora Pierce? Magicians Guild?

also are there any other Fictionpress or fanfiction users on HoP?

skylarnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
I love harry potter and reading loads of david eddings at the moment

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I read loads of fantasy books when I was a kid - the dragonflight books, peter morwood's horse lord trilogy, some david eddings, tolkien, etc, then I went on to scifi. Don't really read much any more though, those kinda books are getting predictable & I'm not big on newer stuff. Tried reading dark materials again recently (I think I remeber it from primary school) but it really is a story for young kids, gotta find some new books.

kakapopoiSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
you're probably right about his dark materials, i havent read them in years now! i'm not so keen on scifi, what is Eddings' style like? is it similar to another writer?

to skylarhug i agree SOOOO much!!! lolsign the books are AMAZING except the films are really crap (note to self: must check if there is a thread to bitch about those..)
have you looked at the harry potter fanfics??

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I'm a huge high fantasy fan! I love the cheesiness, I love the silliness, and I love the cliche's! David Eddings is good, as is Alan Garner (Weirdstone of Brisingamen, Moon of Gomrath and Eilidor), Tolkien, Ian Livingstone, etc.

Of course, where would a fantasy topic be with out the god that is Terry Pratchett? Or Neil Gaiman for that matter!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

skylarnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Yeah im currently re reading the belgaried then will be onto the mallorian

I would describe eddings as a cross between harry potter and lord of the rings if you start with the elenium

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Eddings writes very long, epic tales of swords & sorcery. He treats his characters well though, they all have some personality, and he doesn't get too far involved with cliches of the genre, definitely worth a read.

For Scifi, there are yer classic authors like Arthur C. Clarke and Aasimov (brilliant), but my favourite is Larry Niven. The foundation trilogy is one of the best series' of books I've read. I was bought the prequels to them but they're written by other authors & not as skillfully done imo.

kakapopoiSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
thankx and must agree with drudwyn about pratchett, he is indeed a fantasy god

in fantasy has anyone read the black jewels or any of Anne Bishops books? they are amazing gothic fantasy

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
i love fantsay books they are so nice

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
i love fantasy books. there is nothing better than picking up a book and being transported to a completely diffrent world where imposible things are avarage.
The Belgaried is my favorite fantasy book series.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
I still love dark materials...only just read them again and i still think they're wonderful...but yus yus, Terry Pratchett is a fantasy Glod...hello me thinks mr purple cat....and who can forget Prachetts big bang theory?

I'm not a fantasy person persay but a read anything thats good, but...

David and Leigh Edding's - Redemption of Althalus
is an awesome read... just over 900pgs and very very enjoyable does anyone else know of anything else by said authors? if so any good? I only randomly picked up this book and thought it rocked.

And if you like a light read (ie a bit more complex than Harry Potter and Dark Materials) Christopher Paolini's - Inheritance series (Eragon and Eldest so far) are masterful.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i love terry pratchett's work, especially "disk world"

my favorite character has got to be death for his bleak yet funny outlook

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
The fatter the books and the longer the series, the happier I am!

Some stand out series I have read in the last 10 years:

Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time

Terry Goodkind: Sword of Truth

George R R Martin A Song of Ice & Fire

Traci Harding The Ancient Future

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I've got the "Redemption of Althalus" sitting on my shelf waiting patiently to be read by me... That post is probably it's mystical way of telling me to pick it up! ubbrollsmile Who am I to argue with fate? wink

Anyone who reads Fantasy MUST read David Gemmel at some point. The "Jerusalem Man" series, anything with Druss the Legend in, and the "Lion of Macedon" trilogy are outstanding.

Pratchett is great, although I'm worried that he's actually started writing books explaining his FOOTNOTES for god's sakes! Don't get me wrong, "Thud!" is a good book, and Vimes remains my favourite Discworld character (Note the "C" in Discworld tongue) but Koom Valley first appeared as a footnote in, what, "Feet of Clay" or somesuch? Maybe "Guards! Guards!"?

To be fair he has written a lot of books...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

neverafterSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I love most all fantasy books, you listed tamora pirce, I love her Imortals saga. Curently I'm all about anything Forgotten Realms, Esp. R.A. Salvatrore's writting he is the best writer i can think of for midevil combat.
oh, and whos not ready for the last harry potter?

skylarnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Written by: Baccory

David and Leigh Edding's - Redemption of Althalus
is an awesome read... just over 900pgs and very very enjoyable does anyone else know of anything else by said authors? if so any good? I only randomly picked up this book and thought it rocked.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-5372966-6921402

Lots their i have read all of them all brilliant biggrin

Hope that helps

simeonSILVER Member
enthusiast
233 posts

Posted:

i absolutely love the wheel of time series from robert jordan!!! i started reading it in 97, and everytime i get to the end of it i pick up number one and start all over again. there were only seven back then, but now there're eleven.

or is it twelve?

no mummy, please dont make me go to millyways again.

i hate the way it all ends!

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
I haven't read so much fantasy in recent years (have also just had less time for reading in general), but I used to read it a LOT. Still read the odd Pratchett, and Sethis, I used to love David Gemmell, excellent hacking and slashing! biggrin Jerusalem Man would have to be my favourite, but I really like the more recent ones, the Rigante series, too. Gemmel does seem to have something against women though! grmblgrmbl

everyone's unique except me

kakapopoiSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
neverafter have you read the cirle of magic, circle opens and the will of the empress?? (Tamora pierce) they are amazing!!

but Baccory my dear what are you saying?? they are pretty involving but can you say 'lord fo the rings ripoff'??

the Black Jewels have to be the best, over 1200 pages (i must confess i have read it 4 times....*please dont put me in the obsessive house*) and sooo amazing!!

has anyone read the harry potter fanfics on www.fanfiction.net?
Or the pierce ones for that matter?

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
*says out loud* Lord of the rings rip off....yus i can say it...i assume ur talking about my comments about eragon and eldest...and while there are similarities...at the risk of being flayed i must admit alot of these sorta books have common traits...riders of pern, lord rings, eragon etc...all similar to eachother or something else...and seriously i think there is alot of original ideas (or at least ones i've never come across) in the inheritance series and i know its sad but i'm also very impressed by the age of the author to be able to write such a work.

So yes i'll say it has common traits with say LOTR (disclaimer so does most of those types of fantasy novels ever since LOTR was written) but i still enjoyed it none the less.

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
Oh yeh...i was bored one day years and years ago and i read some harry potter fanfiction...i've got to say some of it is the most disturbing stuff i've ever read...and almost all of it was about Hermionie and someone else (malfloy, potter, ron) falling all misty eye'd for eachother...(this was like back when the second book was coming out so said Ron/Herm relationship wasn't evident) i've also heard rumours about snape fanfiction being a little...odd as well...so i must admit i stay away from harry potter fan fiction as a general rule...something which i apply to fan fiction in general.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Eragon isn't a LOTR rip off. Can you say "Star Wars Rip-Off"? Seriously. Eragon = Luke. Brom = Obi Wan. Ra'Zac = Stormies/Darth Vader hybrids... it's a bit silly. But they are still quite good books, because they're about dragons biggrin devil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I was about to say dune... but then slapped myself.

Neil Gaimans favourate fantasy book is supposedly gene wolfe's "book of the new sun." Which is confusing cos it's actually a lot of books. I haven't read it, but I would like too. Has anybody else? Is it good?

My favourate fantasy book is tristan and isolde. It might not be in the fantasy genre, but in my head, it's fantastic.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

i love terry pratchett's work, especially "disk world"

my favorite character has got to be death for his bleak yet funny outlook

Hear hear!!! Death is the funniest ubbrollsmile

I like the bartimeaus triliogy by Jonathan Stroud at the moment too...

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
if youve read good omens then youll know where my nickname comes from i am a die hard terry pratchett fan and have bin since i got my first diskworld book (feet of clay) when i was 9 loved his books ever since second after him comes the dak materials triolgy (which by the way hollywood is aparently thinking of producing into a film *sigh*) and harry potter
ive read the magicians guild series and am jus getting started on the pern series i jus finished dragonflight jus goto order the next one cos i loved it

i am such a bookworm

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
I heard rumors about Discworld being movie-a-fied...i mean if its done well....sure...but whats with movie ppl now adays? can't come up with original films? or they just appealing to those too lazy to read?

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
terry pratchets soul music and the light fantantastic i think have alredy bin made into animated films as well as a series "truckers" johnny and the bomb has jus bin made into a new series

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
I'm not a real serious bookworm, but I enjoyed the book "Eragon".

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
Soul music and Wyrd Sisters actually i think...or at least i know they have been made into animated series (i'd actually half forgotten that)...not too sure bout light fantastic though...never liked truckers or jonny and the bomb and i haven't seen them...

Now heres a question...has anyone played the Discworld game?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it's obscenely difficult! Discworld 2 is better though, I think. Haven't played Discworld Noir... I really should.

It's a pity the point 'n' click has died, they could have made a sweet adventure game with Vimes and one of his investigations.

I just got Dragonflight today, and am going to start reading it before I go to bed.

BaccoryBRONZE Member
126 posts

Posted:
*is completely cluess*
I must admit i've only played the demo of one of them...and that was years and years ago...i haven't even heard anything about more of them....

Page: