Forums > Introductions > Learning on my own in Iowa…

Login/Join to Participate

Sidrahnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd say hi and hopefully lure out others who may be in my area. I just started spinning (on Monday) and my friend and I are trying to feel our way through this on our own. Wish me luck.

Oh, and spread the word - if you know anyone in Iowa, send them my way wink

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
don't know anyone in iowa,but good luck with the learning and welcome
to HoP!XX

Sidrahnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I think I'll need it. I've just got the trusty sock poi at this time. I've looked at some of the different kinds available, but haven't decided what I like yet, or even if this is something I will commit to (although I can't see how I wouldn't at this point, it's so freakin cool) Anyway - socks for now, better set for later, as an incentive to myself!

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I dont know anyone there either, but good luvk with the search and Welcome to HOP!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
Welcome Sidrah!!!!! From a fellow noob, I offer you this: just keep at it....that's all...

So is Sidrah your real name? I ask because I grew up with a girl named Sidra in Ohio, and have never even once (other than now of course) heard of another Sidra(h).

Anyway, welcome weavesmiley

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello, welcome to HoP!!

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Welcome welcome welcome welcome cool tongue ubbidea wave

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Sidrahnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Phae'xorl - no, it's not my real name (although I could wish it was). I also do Tribal bellydance and that is the name I chose as my dance persona. My name is plain old boring Jen.

Thanks to all for all the welcoming love! I got another of my friends to take this up with me, so now there's three of us who don't know what we're doing - yet. wink

halterGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
Wow to bad I didnt notice this thread sooner. There is now a handful of us Iowans doing fire right in your backyard. Me and my two sisters live in Iowa City and have been getting together for a few years, we recently ahve brought in 3 new friends (2 from CR 1 from DM).

However Im leaving for New Zealand in 2 weeks and my gf (one of the other CR spineers) is moving to Chicago.

But there are still 3 fine people close by willing to hangout and help out any time.

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
Hey I just moved to South West Iowa this year. I have been spinning off and on for almost a year. And yea I don't know anyone who spins poi or anything of the sort out here.

haha

cantthinkofoneBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Hiya, i used to poi before but hit a brickwall with the behind the backstuff - i.e. the weave aka my nemesis! and lost my enthusiasm, but lately i've been hearing the call of the poi and i'm back at day one - all inspired and addicted, i've been looking at the tute's and this time for sure i'll beat it or 5 beat it, haha, anyway - enough of my rubbish humour,just thought i'd say hi. xx