Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > proof that fundamentals are important

Login/Join to Participate

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i've been spinning since febuary 15th last year (the day after I first saw poi first hand) and coming up on the eve of my one year anniversary, i've discovered something odd.

i'm instinctivly trying moves i wouldn't have thought about 6, or even 3 months ago, and actually pulling them off without even thinking about it! in the past 3 weeks i've learned the butterfly weave, btb ttn, btb 3bt weave, and my hyperloops have stopped sucking. i guess a full year of little more than 3bt weaves is starting to pay off =]

so the moral of the story is: sticktoitiveness. if at first you don't succeed, buy a cup and keep practicing.

EDITED_BY: thor (1107636182)

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yep yep. Its cuz there are really only so many ways to spin your poi. Its just that there are tons of variations on those basic concepts. Once youre comfortable with all the foundation spinning techniques, you can more easily change them around to make new moves/variations and pull them off quickly without much practice.

Getting them to be perfect and fitting them into your style, however, is a different story smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
When I teach people I show them three moves: the butterfly, the weave and a simple turn. For me those are the real basics but it's funny to watch how hard these moves can be for an absolute beginner. But once you got them your coordination is so much better, that it becomes easier to learn new tricks.

I agree, ICoN, that fitting new moves in smoothly is the hard bit. Technicality looks good only if it appears to be easy. At first I learnd something new every day and thought I was really gifted (:D) but it's not how many tricks you know, it's how you use them.

With a big grin everything looks heaps better! wink

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Nice one Thor! I agree too, as I'm learning more fundamental stuff and becoming comfortable with it, my spinning's developing in ways I'd never have predicted. The 3bt took me 3 months to learn, so I'm a bit slow, but now 5bt take-outs are the most pleasant thing in the world biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
starts singing the sticktoitiveness song

agreed i remember looking at the free lessons thinking WTF i will never do that, and now with exception to the BTB moves being as good i can do them, its a fantastic feeling.

and POI is the only thing my son has ever practiced and enjoyed practicing

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
BTB moves,,I can relate to that I can do the butterfly, and the buzzsaw, well I just tried it for the first time 5 minutes ago and I can do it,,,sloppily,,,but I can do it.

But the BTB weave,,,forget it,maybe I need better lyrics to the sticktoitvness song because that's my one big failure,,,I tried, really, honest, and when I feel the need for some self abuse,,,I'll try it again I hear there are people out there who pay big money for this kind of treatment,,hey some leather clothing, a pair of heavy poi,,I may have a business idea here.................................... wink

But seriously, sticking to it, and finding someone who can and will teach you spinning techniques will go a long way to improving your spinning happiness.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
lol btb weave cost me a black eye and a bloody nose several times and its been that long since i practiced it i think i would have to start again but when i do get in the hang of it i have been told it looks great

XavierLeonewbie
1 post

Posted:
Well, im a Newbie and can barely get a decent butterfly going without hittin myself in the face and smashing up all my furniture LoL biggrin

I saw sum fire dancers a while bak and im determined to learn now biggrin (though im starting with just practise poi... ive already managed to tie both hands together and smack myself in the face with them - that wouldnt have been too fun with fire ubbrollsmile )

Good to see other people having success though.. gives me confidence that il get somewhere eventually smile

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yup keep it up and you will do well

white_luminationnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I'm also a beginner and I must say that the either I can't get the weave done and my butterfly doesn't look like one but I aint giving up hehe xD
Glad to hear that the base movements r inportant , at first I wanted to try out all tricks fast but as you say here I'll stick to the base moves for a while wink

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Seriously, they're great. You'll learn some flashy moves later but you will ALWAYS come back to the basics when you just want to chill out.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Chi_StaffSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
hell yeah, i love going out and burning up my poi with friends in a big field, but one thing I REALLY couldnt do without is going in the garden at nightime with my flag poi, turning the radio on and closing my eyes. just spinning along with whatever tempo of song happens to be on the radio. frostbite aside its great fun everytime.

Whatever it is, If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anybody then you are making the world a better place.

The world always looks nicer when you're spinning.

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
I'm a newbie as well, i've figured out the basics (weave, butterfly and turns (well almost)) but it's prgressing from there that's the hard bit. It's great to get the basics and for a while i felt great about learning them but i've only progressed up to 3bt weave and btb butterfly after what seems like ages. Utter frustration...

So what your saying is, if I take just ONE more pill...

greenlizard0BRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
lol i'm a noob, and I still can't do the weave. It's really daft, but I can do it perfectly to the left of me, but not on the right, or even straight ahead. I'm not sure what the hell i've been doing grr...arrgg..moo...

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
I have just got my practice poi last week. I am a fan of electronic music so I have been watching (or rather staring, glass-eyed, at), people spinning for some time. Just finished my degree in uni and am about to start a new course and thought I could learn something to impress the girls j/k and keep me active, so started investigating. The more I learn about it, the more interested I became. Right now, I could do the turns, forward and backward weave, thread the needle, butterfly but I am still stuck on shoulder and hip reels. I think am having trouble with whatever goes behind me. Once the poi is behind, I get a little paranoid and loses it. biggrin Seriously tho, I am already dreaming up some of the stuff I could pull to the beats of some quality psytrance. weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: Alien_Concept (1124082875)

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

SassfireGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
I am with ya Alien Concept. (Except on the part to impress girls!) Picked up poi about 6 weeks ago and im having a blast doing it. Practicing to psytrance (though a bit fast sometimes) is the only way to go. Cant wait to pull them out at a fire circle at a bush doof. I dont care if i dont know heaps of stuff, fire looks good even if you do the same few moves over and over. But...YEA!! i almost have the behind the back 3 beat weave...i have it on one side but not the other. The back of my calves are killing me though....be warned when you come to try it if you haven't already.

Burn like a good bonfire.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Written by: Slye

I am with ya Alien Concept. (Except on the part to impress girls!)

LOL! Sorry I got to add the "LOL" to emphasis that I was joking! Although this is an interesting read:
https://www.blanketfort.com/juggling/jugglinggirls.html

Poi is another form of juggling right? LOL!

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
If only that text were true... Sure, it may lure them in on occasion but once they realize youd rather be showing them your new BTB move than moving them from BTB they tend to get scared away.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

SassfireGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
depends if they find fire a turn on...they might not get scared away but keep coming back like bugs to a light! lol

ubblol

Burn like a good bonfire.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
ubblol Icon! biggrin

I have a genuine question...

What are the fundamentals?

Is there an actual list?

Where is it?

Ok, so that was 3 questions. smile