Forums > Social Chat > yeah, but wjhat else can you do?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
lots of people on this board go on about how they are the best at poi and have everything down after practicing for a few months. well, i've been spinning chains for alomst a year, and i still can;'t do the btb reverse weave, 3 beat or 5 beat. however, what i do spin, i spin like a mean bastard. and i can spin staff. and double staff. and flags. and staff and chain. and staff and flag. and flag and chain. and cross. and single-handed chain. and am working on quadruple chain. and i eat and breath fire and liquid dance with it. but no under the leg chains. not yet anyways. so what else can folk do out there?------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

clarkeymember
29 posts

Posted:
grin LOL!! grinI can sympathise, i've been spinning for >6 months, but i can't do any BTB moves apart from butterfly. So i guess that makes me shite frown

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
you do look pretty mean in that beanie.. grinThat cross staff spinning you were doing from the HOP video is off the hook. You do spin very aggressively. Thats how I spin. A sort of take no prisoners approach, almost attacking the movments. Just recently i have begun to slow down and leanr to be more fluid, but i still tend to get hyper while spinning.You do have some skill..peace bro.."S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy, I saw you spinning on the Circles of Light video and I think you're GOOD.One of the best male performers I've seen.just wanted to say that smilepeace------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I can Bellydance, Salsa and Hip Hop dance as well as some ballet and Irish dancingI can write a short story that will send you on an emotional roller coasterI can design and make costumes for any historical eraI can act and sometimes singFor spinning...I can bend and/or get on the floor with my poi and do some pretty funky things. I can do between my legs but not behind my back much. I am alright with staff but working on it. I can do flags moderately, again working on it. I can do a flaming jump rope, balance and spin an umbrella (on fire), working on those meteor and fire fan skills. I can eat and breathe fire...the latter of which I have had fire breathers I respect compliment me for. I can mess up and cover my ass pretty well. I am learning devil sticks (quite fun) and contact juggling.I also tell a mean story about fairy giggles! smileI still think it isn't about the technicalities but how you present what you do know and I *still* kowtow to you DB...that and "Flash" (not Falsh Fire) is honored to be the pres of your fan club! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I can hit myself in the face with a staff. I've got a pretty good approximation of the Turkish flag on my upper lip where I pegged myself perfectly with a screw head.Seriously, I've only recently started practicing with the staff. So far it's fun but frustrating, because I'm a complete beginner again.What else can I do? Make wry, self-deprecating remarks.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
BTB?! Well, I can go BTB in one direction (poi com'in from back to front overhead) but not in the other direction. This really sucks b/c I wanna learn the BTB turn.Also, I can do 4-beat weave but just cannot push it to 5-beat (no even close), sucks!

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
I have been playing with poi since the start of the year. After seeing my mate spinning fire poi. I think I learnt pretty quick. I can do the behind back weaves whilst turing and all that but The butterfly moves are the best and give me the most trouble. I prefer to see fast turns and quick transfers between moves. Behind the back moves do make you feel good when you nail them but its the rest of your show that will wow the crowds.

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts

Posted:
forgot to mention I have been juggling for about 5 years too but lost intrest when I discovered poi !!!!!! smile

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
You sound bitter. If you try to learn so many things at one time of course you're going to have a hard time learning stuff for a particular art, not enough practice time for all of it ya know.Well i can spin flags, after learning poi flags was a breeze to learn. And actually i'm trying to learn spinning poi with one in my hand and the other on my foot. Honestly smilei can almost do a weave!------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I can paint pictures and draw so well that people often say "Did you do that? Really? No, you're having me on!" . . .I can pick up a guitar at a party and play for a few minutes before realising I have the full attention of everyone in the room. Then get embarrassed and pass the instrument to someone else. . .I can play the bodhran. . . I can make people do things for me but they think it was their own idea. . . I can walk for miles in a strange place and never get lost. . . I can remember exact conversations I've had with people, word for word, and pick up exactly where we left off up to 2 years ago . . .I can climb a hill, sit on a rock and watch the world go by for a day and a night without noticing the time . . .I can get very paranoid and self depreciating. And think that i am useless and unworthy of anything good . . .Odd that!What can you do?------------------C@ntus

Meh

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts

Posted:
Now I feel like a plum

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I can make someone feel like the most important person in the world... (Stalking should be an olympic sport! smile jk)I can play the piano... and I'm probably going to pass grade eight in less than a year, usually practicing less than once a week tongueI can do really crap drawings and convince people that they're good... check out my gallery smileI can sing bass, and tenor if i warm up, although I don't have the guts to do any solo. Maybe it will be different this year...I can out think most people, if they are logical... if not there's no point argueing! like my mother, ugh...I can hold my breath for well over two minutes (average is 40 seconds, apparently).I can run 100m in 13 seconds, last time I checked anyway. Probably not unless I train for a bit now though.I can write philosophical bs like nobody's business...I have a dodgy memory, that can remember whole paragraphs of text almost perfectly after a single reading or events like I was watching them, and still at other times forget a whole book or even a whole week smileOh, and I get my exam results back in 9 days, so I guess they will be proof of how good at academic stuff I am... I'll post em when I get em, perhaps. Wait, what was this thread about?Oh yeah, I do staff and single chain and I'm teaching myself meteors, I can breath and I could probably eat if I had a small enough torch... I'm teaching myself contact juggling, although I haven't really been practicing properly.Ooh and I got the 5 beat weave in the first week blush) and it's still my most impressive move technically, goddamit...------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::flash picks herself up from the ground and wipes tears of laughter from her eyes after reading Phunky's absurd comment::Dude, thou knowest not with whom thou art speaking. Scurvy knave. thou shouldst know better.I can do a bunch of different things.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Don't knock it until you try it.What else shows skills but to jump around like and idiot on one foot doing a weave! smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I certainly wasn't knocking your technique or tricks Phunky - not my style to put people's poi skills down. My post was in response to your comment about Dangerboy being 'bitter'... cos that *is* ridiculous!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

courtneemember
37 posts

Posted:
hrm. i can do a lot of things. so many that i forget, so i wont bother listing them. takes people months to find them all out.i am also trying to incorporate feet into my poi swinging, and i am actually really glad someone else is as well. i was thinking of starting a topic about it, but i am still new here and didnt want to hog the board.ultimately, i want to be able to stand with both legs straight, and one of my ankles next to my ear, twirling a fire poi over my head with my foot. i have quite a long way to go grin-------------------nee

-nee

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy, I don't see why you care what others can do cause from what I have seen of you, you are an EXTREAMLY talented spinner. I've never spoken to you but always kind of admired you, from watching you spin christmas lights(lol), to fire poi, staff, and a mix. I find you to be a great twirler and there isn't any reason for you to worry what others do. Keep spinning odd shit and I'll keep watchin. EricP.s. Go outside to spin once in a while, I don't think I've seen a part from you where you weren't in a building.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
they just don't get it, do they Dangerboy? It's cool, I see where you're coming from and would take great delight in clarifying your post, but.....I'll leave it alone.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
i don't know, maybe someone should clarify.Are you trying to say that poi is not only technical but also artistic?I totally understand that but when learning new stuff, try to get as much under your belt because the artistic side of your spinning should come natually.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hehe ok you spritural nuts :P I think he was talking about fire toys. Pele has us all whooped grin However I've got 2 sets of configurable chains (Balls-out style of course, sage classifed it. Of course she wasn't comfortable with bareskin flaming arm wraps. ) A single 5-foot staff . Two eating torches that I'm gonna finish making into liquid ones, I also do trailing with them. And now my BEAST of a cross. Transforms into clubs for juggling which I just can't do yet. In the future I wanna add another cross and a cube, if I get good enough at it I might try picking up double cube. On a side note I've had unfinished ideas for exploding boots, exploding hammer,and a flaming halo. Right now I'm searching out the parts for project "Knagi's Cooker". I've done some eating and have decided it's not for me and I'm not gonna put the fuel in my mouth. Aside from tempting fate with 151 blasts every now and then I don't do it. I need to get myself a handful > of realible safteys is what I really need.Looking back at when I first signed onto this board I'm reminded of what I put in at my description. "I started spinning in April of 2001. I am working my ass off with glowsticks to spin fire without sending myself to the hosptial one day."Did I really start this odd voyage into insanity in april of this year?? Ahhhhhh!------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am going to clarify on how ***I*** took it....DB isn't looking for competition or validation or showing off....he is saying that there is no need to really say all the "I can do, I can do" stuff to show off. Sharing should be the goal, not competing.My support of this is DB himself, we have all seen him and he totally blows our minds, and then we read how so many hold the btb stuff sacred and that he can't do it (yet wink). Does this make him less than an amazing spinner? Hell no! All this meant to me, imho, is to praise ourselves for what we can do because that is a feat in and of itself, work on the things we can't and be in competition with no one but ourselves. That's all. This is kind of bumping our own ego type thing while still keeping it real. At least in my little interpretation.Oh, and knowing he can't get the btb stuff yet made me feel pretty okay with the fact that I am still stretching for it as well! smileCheerios!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I can move my little toe with out the making the other toes move..does that count? [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">"S"------------------[/image]He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

emmember

Posted:
BTB chase - try practising with a plate! Sounds insane, but coz u have a perfect circle and your hands can't go anywhere they're not supposed to go, u will soon loosen those armies up and will be BTBing before you know it!I watched a complete muppet almost master this trick (after breaking 3 of my plates!) in a day

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
teehee! who knew i could be such a fire brand? i love where this post went, and you people have some KOOL skills. i feel i should add some non fire skills now. i can ride an 80cc chopped up madmax scooter like it was a harley from hell. i can do 4 handstand pushups in a row (working of 5). i was always the first one out of an exam. i can make a pentagram in a circle with only and elastic band and my two hands. i can bend my thumb back to my wrist. i can pick up pencils with my freakishly long toes and put a strand of spaghetti up my nose and out my throat. OK, now that we have that out of the way, here's what the main focus of my post was. it's all fine and good to be able to do behind the back quadruple handstand weaves with our feet and all that, but when it comes down to it, a person spinning poi and only poi is limited. try other things and you'll learn so much more with every toy you pick up. when i first started spinning, i did only staff for four months, and taught myself at a pretty good pace. i didn;t even want to do chains. but i picked them up anyways, and suddenly i learned a whole whack of new stuff with staff. then i picked up flags and learned a whack of new stuff with chains and with staff. then i picked up double staff, and learned...well, you get the idea. as far as a performance value goes, it's better to be really good at a lot of things than shithot at one thing. when i do perform, it's hard to choose what not to spin. and for those of you out there who were consoling me about my abilities, i've had a few compliments in my time. my favorites are:"do you have any idea how sexy you are when you do that?""if that guy would just stop spinning, he's get laid in a second.""you are the god of fire."of course they're my favorites 'cause they were sexy, but you get the idea. i know i'm a good spinner, and i have yet to meet my better, though i've met planty of equals. maybe that's it; we are all equals, if for no other reason than that we love this and want to share it with whomever will give us the chance.peace.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy...do you know how shit hot you are? wink If only I were a man *sigh and giggle*And Em, what a great idea. I tried with torches but they just hit and ricochet off one another...however...I think I will use my heavy *plastic* plates! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
Dan can do many things.......but not the flags, I've never seen them .... am I right in saying they use the same formula as Poi only with a much bigger visual effect?!?!help me out here......Dan!

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
P.S..... I can dislocate every one of my fingers and make them dangle like some freaky dangly thing....BUT1) although the ladies love it as a freak show...it never turns them on2) a message in my head keeps flashing saying "arthoritis when you're 50"3) It bloody hurtstime for some fine english teaTa...Dan!

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Spot on with the flag assumption Dan.And the dangly fingers aren't a turn on cause women liked to be caressed by strong fingers, not limp ones! tongue What a talent though...I don't want to know how you discovered you could do it! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

pixygothmember
14 posts

Posted:
What is this about plates? I'd love to sort out this bloody btb business... I can do single btb crossovers, but twohands just tangle immediately... Can anyone enlighten me please? I mean, how d'you hold them, are they your "poi handles" or what?Thanks guys, I know i will get behind there someday...p_g x

Shonagh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'tralala, said the happy little pixygoth'

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi people,Erm...been doing POI for about 6 mths and can do loads of stuff, Im pretty sure you mean back to back when you say btb, is this right? I am NOT bragging here but I am looking for a suggestion for some nice and technical moves to practice. I sussed the 5 beat last week and want to do more intense stuff like that as the yelps of joy when it kicked in for the first time were straight from the soul. Please excuse my ignorance but I am not familiar with the names of all the moves as i have learnt them by watching other people do them rather than off this site although it has been soooo useful for the 5 beat.I just cannot put these things down, I am virtually "clubbing it" every day in my bedroom !! Sounds sad really dunnit ? I mean it though, Im come staggering out of there sometimes sweating like a madman heading for the water tap, then sit there gasping for 5 mins whilst i cool down. Me mums getting a bit worried I think.I thought DB's post was funny more than anything, he didnt sound frustrated at all (imho). Cant wait to see you on a video mate. Be looking out for you now.Yeah so if anyone would be so kind as to inform me about some nice moves it would be much appreciated. Meanwhile Im gonna try and incorporate that there horizontal wave into some normal vertical stuff.Just in case anyones interested :I can do absolutely nothing at all when ive got a headache.I can fall in love in the blink of an eye.I can read and be interested in just about anything at all.I can spend money very un-wisely.I can survive on virtually nothing.I can name a million things that I cannot do but I wont.Cheers people,PeacePanicPS whats invisible and smells of carrots???

Page: