Forums > Other Toys > Saw a new toy, help with recognition please!

Login/Join to Participate

Cayla_WereGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
We went to the circus the other day and they were spinning these ropes with bowls on the end. they were about 2 metres long, i think. It was really impressive nd we completely want to learn this. they could kick the rope up into the air.
Does anyone know what this is?

richiiStick spinner
43 posts

Posted:
did the ropes have bowls on both ends because if so these sounds like meteors. if they only had a bowl on one end they sound like a rope dart.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Almost certainly meteors. The move you describe isn't really one you can do with rope dart, and I've never heard of bowls being used with rope dart.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

EytanBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Yup, sounds like a meteor hammer, and using bowls on the end is a traditional training/performance modification. Wikipedia has some good info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_hammer#Fire_meteor_and_other_variations

Here's what a kick looks like with a rope dart:

If it was actually a meteor hammer then I imagine you could release and kick the whole thing into the air, a variation on how sometimes people will just throw it the entire toy into the air (which always reminds me of somebody throwing pizza dough).

Gary_CifersSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Yea those are meteors you can see that exact move in Cirque's Vareki here

twinkiJocuri
1 post

Posted:
uii ,really interesting .. smile