Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Down the Rabbit Hole 2: Digging Deeper

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
So it seems there might be a few spinners heading to asia this winter with spinning on their minds. I just wanted to see who else is heading over, what their plans are while they're over there.

My tickets are booked! I'm arriving in bangkok 16th november, and returning to ireland 3rd February

I've heard from a lot of spinners of a park in bangkok where people meet up every day to play. Thanks to Banshee Cat for the following info:

Written by:

It is the Pra Atit boat stop, and the park is called Pra Sumen. I would reccommend staying closish by at the guesthouses on Sri Ayyutaya rd-- Tavees Guesthouse, or Sri Ayyutaya's, or Shantis, all very close together down that road. Nice community... May Kai Dees is a great restaurant for veggie food along near that strip-two locations, one on samsen, and one off the end of Kho San rd and across the st.... Probably more specific address in the guide books...

Nick (poi celebrity number 1 wink) is planning on a poi camp in Pai, northern Thailand, where spinipulation enthusiasts can meet up and play, practice, etc (see his post below). I definately plan on spending some time up there with him during my adventure. Probably stop number one after bangkok... ubbrollsmile

Leave your winter behind, come find some winter summer!

COME SEE HOW FAR THE RABBIT HOLE GOES!

sunny

grouphug

weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley

meditate

ubbrollsmile

Ronan

EDITED_BY: Ronopotamus (1162506759)

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
For those coming to Pai, we'll probably still be at P.S. Riverside, which is dot 39 on this map of Pai.

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
So how do you get from chang mai airport to pai?
Tax?
time?
smiles
Drew

Sista Firewirestranger
18 posts

Posted:
Hi Drew
so the cheapest way is :
taxi or tuc tuc to the bus station of chiang mai, from there are lokal busses to pai, (sometimes really crowded but always really intresting..:)
they take about 4 ours (lots of mountains, take a jumper in the bus)and bring you to pai -bus station.
they go 3 times a day, the latest at 15.00 or 16.00 cant remember.....

how long will you be there,?
(i `m coming mid.jan....)

have fun!
anya

bliss up the planet!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
You can also find air-conditioned minivans, which aren't much more expensive, but they get here 45 minutes faster. I'll ask in town how to find them in Chiang Mai....

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Is it true rumours of a Drew in Pai? clap
Any idea of when you're going or how long you plan to stay?

I'm definately bringing my contact balls now

biggrin

Ronan

burning danGOLD Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I recently got to pai and have some info about how we did it...

we flew to bangkok, got on a flight to chang mai, took a mini bus to pai. the minibus is allegedly faster, air conditioned, more comfortable than the big bus. as I've never taken the big bus, I cannot testify.

I've never taken the bus from bangkok to chang mai, but I've heard it's 9ish hours. the flight is an hour and a half.

to fly to chang mai, you'll want one of these guys... their tickets were 1700ish baht when we walked up to their counter at the airport. when we got there to buy tickets, their flights were full (this weekend was a holiday). so while you can probably do the walkup thing, might as well pre-buy your ticket.

air asia: https://www.airasia.com/site/en/home.jsp
1-2 go: https://www.fly12go.com/en/main.shtml
bangkok air: https://www.bangkokair.com/?lang=en
nok airlines: www.nokair.com/nokconnext/aspx/welcome.aspx?currlang=en-US

from the chang mai airport, take a taxi to the chang mai arcade bus station. it cost us 160 baht.

walk through the bus station to the end and out the door. on the right is a shop selling minibus rides to pai. they leave every hour on the :30 until 4:30 (I think. I know there's one at 4:30 on fridays as that's what we took).

the bus ride to pai is about 3 hours and very bumpy and very curvy. walk around the station until you see the snacks/gum/soda western looking shop. play charades with them to ask for anti getting sick on the bus medicine. its name starts with a d, but I don't recall. it's a little yellow tablet - there's a whole basket of them sitting right on the counter. I got the sense I Wasn't the first ferang to play that game of charades in that shop.

from the bus stop to ps riverside, walk along in the same direction that the bus was going before it pulled into the stop. when you get to the end, turn right, walk about 3 (yes three) meters and turn left. walk to the end. you'll see a sign for ps riverside. someone you recognize should be hanging around somewhere probaby maybe. if not, find Pom. he's the owner, speaks english and is friendly.

PS Riverside is 150 baht per day for a nice bungalow (if you have 2 people in your bungalow, it's 200 baht per day). we've heard of another bungalow called Unicorn... it's a 10ish minute walk away and it's 100 baht per day. maybe go there if you want to save some money?

PS Riverside has the river, lots of open space, and an awesome yoga studio/open space/poi spot/shaded area 3 meters off the ground and lots of tiger balm.

See you here!

WYLSTBFYN?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Dan dearest, help me persude the lovely MK to join us....
xoxo
a
pounce on everyone there and give them hugs from me!

Have you eaten deep fried tarantulas yet? Grasshoppers? Or is that anti vegetarian? Do bugs count? hmmn.... Do you like Som Tum?

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Some1Member
14 posts

Posted:
hello lovly people!

i just wanted to say that i'm now going to Diu in Gujarat / Inida.

if anyone is in the near... just call me.

claus

ps. will least some month until i come to pai...

(poisatori)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You can also get the train from Bangkok. Which is somewhere between flying and busing...

Have fun guys, I wish I could be there... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dan!!

That's a great guide... hug2

Getting to the other side smile

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
hei dan.....
....are you already in pai???????
give nick an enormous hug from me and feel hugged yourself, was nice, funny, loverly.....to have had you two honeys at my place....before hasch a fuer......vienna.....thinking of you .......stay in touch.....
hug
kiss
take care,
tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
The overnight buses to/from Chiang Mai can also be both cheap and fabulous. Once I had one with massage seats!!!!, that laid back almost fully, with cool movies, and a free meal. All for next to nothing. Ridiculously decadant for a bus. But bring a sweater, they keep those things chill!

I like the trains best though, always meet interesting people on the train! 2nd class/fan sleeping berths have all the best people wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I trained it from Bangkok to Chaing Mai... incredible scenery, and dangling in between the carriages for a smoke felt mildly exciting.

biggrin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
While danglng between the carriages for a smoke on the train ride from Bangkok to Chaing Mai, I got shot in the back with a BB gun. frown eek I found the BB

Those Thai gov't busses really are a treat when compared to those cheezy "VIP" ones, but I'm with BansheeCat on this one, take the train, it's more fun ( regardless of snipers )

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wow.... but aren't you happy you have a story to tell?

smile

burning danGOLD Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
andrea: I'll wait for you to arrive and you can show me the best deep fried tarantula spot. I'm probably only going to eat it once and I'm sure you don't want to miss it.

I'll send mk an email - it'd be lovely to have her here.

WYLSTBFYN?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I only eat bugs at the temples, and at movie theatres.At least intentionally. The odd accidently blenderized bee is unavoidable! They only reliable sources of deep fried insects wink

But do go ahead and start enjoying mango and sticky rice without me, and some nice spicy somtum too. I shall live vicarious through you until I arrive!
xoxo
a

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
The mango and sticky rice season just finished though. There was some when I got here but we won't have many mangoes until March, will we frown

But really, everybody, it's still worth coming. DOn't not come just because of the mango situation!

n

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Not true sweetie, you can still get mangoes- but maybe from Bangkok etc where they get warehoused, as opposed to plucked fresh off the trees... But definately available in January and February, I often eat it at that time!

And Mangosteen, I have an off season source for those too smile
Yum!

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
So it's almost time to start packing my bags ubbrollsmile and was wondering how the weather is in pai? Someone said to bring a warm jumper or something, was planning not bringing much clothes and buying what i need when i arrive.
So should i jump on the plane with shorts and t0shirt or maybe bring a little more

smile

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
@ronan!!:

lovely journey!! see you (maybe confused rolleyes wink) there!!

kisses to all kiss kiss ubbrollsmile hug

josh

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Be carefull ronan. you still have to get from the car to the plane and its getting bloody freezing here

I was in the north of thailand this time three years ago and dont remember having to bring any warm. Something with sleeves is handy. And a mac in a sac...

Another handy thing is this

https://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

I've found it very usefull on many an occasion for all those weird questions you never would have thought you needed to ask.

Love is the law.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Pai gets chilly at night in the winter. Sadly you should bring a fleece or two. Not cold like Ireland, but in January, if you're up late, it gets pretty chilly.

We might be making an excursion to the Islands for this reason. smile

n

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
when were you thinking of leaving south?

Love, Love, Love...

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
That sounds way too much like a thread of questioning that could lead to a feeling of commitment and obligation. I will proceed with great caution.

We were thinking that in the winter it gets cold. That might be a good time to head south. We have not planned beyond this. "Winter" is roughly the early-december-through-mid-february time. We might not go south at all. I might not, anyway.

On the other hand, I might go adventuring around southeast asia for all of December and January.

...but probably not.

In other news, my mirror shows up in two days!!!

Anybody else want a mirror?

n

maiukiBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello!!! biggrin

I arrived in Bankog this morning, planing to go North on a few days. Iuju!!! wink

I've been at the park, and seems that there is not many people going around any more,but still there are a few. Today I met Markus a swedish guy that is looking forward for more people to show up. weavesmiley

Matina: Thankx for the lovely night I expended with u in Frankfurt!! Hope to see u soon!!! ubblove

Nick: Do Stefan and Nikola still in Pai? If they are please send them lots of hugs and I'll see u soon!! hug

Upss!! And the weather news for those who are coming soon. 30 degrees, roasting!!Really hot even for me, so be ready cos Bankog is an owen!!
ubbloco

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
what mirror?

Love, Love, Love...

raychBRONZE Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Ms. Muppett Pussy is taking the rabbit for a wiiild ride

I'll be in Bangkok around 12/21stish.....after that Pai is on the travel path! I plan on seeing the Donkey Show n a good ol fashioned fists dipped in glass Thai kickboxing fight !!

wooooeee ubblove

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
The big mirror I ordered, to use for practicing stuff. Whoo-hooo! It's been ages since I got to use a mirror.

Weather in Pai is cooler than Bangkok. It's hot in the middle of the day, but the mornings and late afternoons are perfect, and it will be getting properly chilly late at night soon.

n

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
@maiuki:kiss
hug
xxx

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

Page: ...