Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Down the Rabbit Hole 2: Digging Deeper

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
So it seems there might be a few spinners heading to asia this winter with spinning on their minds. I just wanted to see who else is heading over, what their plans are while they're over there.

My tickets are booked! I'm arriving in bangkok 16th november, and returning to ireland 3rd February

I've heard from a lot of spinners of a park in bangkok where people meet up every day to play. Thanks to Banshee Cat for the following info:

Written by:

It is the Pra Atit boat stop, and the park is called Pra Sumen. I would reccommend staying closish by at the guesthouses on Sri Ayyutaya rd-- Tavees Guesthouse, or Sri Ayyutaya's, or Shantis, all very close together down that road. Nice community... May Kai Dees is a great restaurant for veggie food along near that strip-two locations, one on samsen, and one off the end of Kho San rd and across the st.... Probably more specific address in the guide books...

Nick (poi celebrity number 1 wink) is planning on a poi camp in Pai, northern Thailand, where spinipulation enthusiasts can meet up and play, practice, etc (see his post below). I definately plan on spending some time up there with him during my adventure. Probably stop number one after bangkok... ubbrollsmile

Leave your winter behind, come find some winter summer!

COME SEE HOW FAR THE RABBIT HOLE GOES!

sunny

grouphug

weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley

meditate

ubbrollsmile

Ronan

EDITED_BY: Ronopotamus (1162506759)

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
..so ronan..i really try to join..
haven-t looked for aflight ..but i-m earning money to manage it!! thats teh first step!! ubbrollsmile

nice that you opened this thread!!

and let-s see what gonna happen!! ubbloco

i will come beginning of december or january!!
the angels ubbangel ubbangel
will help me!!

love and a group hug hug

josh

Some1Member
14 posts

Posted:
hey ronan!

you have started a good topic!
i will (hopefully) arrive goa/gokarna in mid-december to celebrate x-mas and new year`s eve. after that i would like to go to the andamanen for some time and go further on to thailand...

hope to see you soon
claus

(poisatori)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hook up with Mr Meenik too... I believe he is heading Thaiwards for a Playpoi camp...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I will be there, working at an eco village project, trying to coordinate some things for street kids, and an organic farm-- and also, most importantly,
wink smile playing poi!!!! Yay!!!

I will be there from end of December, likely until late February. Half time in the north with Nick and the crew,if such a rumoured event does happen, and the rest on Ko Tao and Ko Phang Gan region with friends. And wherever the Rainbow touches earth, I am likely to be . Perhaps some volunteer work at Khao Lak if I can fit it in...always so busy in Thailand!

*Lots* of people from this little island are coming too.Should be great fun!

Hmmn... Would that be a certain sexy "Some 1" I met at EJC who likes chocolate a whole lot? wink

That would be awfully fun to see ya there! I will bring lots of kisses ( the Hershey chocolate kind!)ubblol
xoxo
Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Some1Member
14 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

Hmmn... Would that be a certain sexy "Some 1" I met at EJC who likes chocolate a whole lot? wink

no...! this was my evil twin brother.... wink he is so embarrassing when he is drunken biggrin

hope to see you in thailand for a chocolate-session biggrin

claus

(poisatori)

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
hey ronan and all other "soon to be in thailand people":))
whata great thread indeed:)))
I'm also coming to BKK on nov 16th!!
would love to meet you there for a session if you'r into it wink
BansheeCat, tell me about that eco project.
in general i'm going to go to thailand and than OZ or NZ - probably boath:))
i'm goint with mostly spinning on my mind and hopfully will get to see as many of you as i can.
keep on spinning love's.

Love, Love, Love...

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately my plane tickets fell through so i'm on the search for new ones.

If anyone has any good leads for cheap plane tickets please put a link them

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hitch wink

Have a lovely trip guys, it sounds lovely.

Love is the law.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Look into skyways.de and condor.de. Condor has an english version. You can probably find a ticket for around 400 Euro return from Frankfurt, and fly ryanair to frankfurt. Should end up being about the same as your other ticket, yes? Maybe even cheaper.

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
say nick, what did i hear about a poi camp in thailand? weavesmiley

Love, Love, Love...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice one Nick smile

Thanks
x

Getting to the other side smile

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
Thanks nick!!!

ronan.... a shame!! but i like theidea that you fly from germany!!..lets meet and find the first rabbit hole here!! ubbloco ubblol

clare ??!! you coming??!! ubbidea

orenico!! do they always need help at this eco projects,as well from germans biggrin

love to all grouphug

josh

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Perhaps... maybe. We'll see what happens biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Yes, Play Camp in Thailand. I'm already here setting things up.

I'm taking it slow at first. The last few years were not easy for me. Play Camp may be quite casual, just some people training and collaborating together. I may decide to do a big Uber-International kind of thing, but I'm giving myself at least a couple months before I commit to anything remotely stressful.

Meanwhile I'm already plotting to invest some money into P.S. Riverside Resort to build a second platform and shade structure. I'll be posting on my poi blog as things develop.

Here are my various objectives for being here, jotted down a bit quickly. I'm happy to collaborate with people on any of these.

0) To have a break from being over-committed, in a hurry, hurdling towards bankruptcy, etc.

1) To consistently play with poi, meteors, and other toys a lot. I've been getting some practice in over the past couple years, but not like the first 2.5 years, and definitely not the kind of practice that makes me happy. I just haven't had enough time to unwind (hee hee, so to speak). There are certain things that only come together when you can dive deep, so I'm here to dive.

2) To get into shape: Every time I'm on the road my health deteriorates. It's really hard to train while traveling, especially if you're trying to run a DVD business at the same time, and it's hard (for me anyway) to go for a run or do a bunch of yoga when greatly sleep deprived.

3) To collaborate with others: Much of my traveling has been to find others to share ideas with. In Thailand we'll have time to go beyond ideas. We'll be able to watch those ideas become reality.

4) To Make shows: I've never choreographed a poi performance, and it's time! I'm not sure how ambitious we'll get, but I want to at least create a stellar boy-band act for renegade stages next year. Other collaborations will depend on who else shows up.

5) Photography and Video: We're going to take both to the next level, blending in character, story lines, etc. I've got some scripts and ideas, and I'm sure others will have their own ideas. More details on this later.

6) DVD series. The Scales of Poi is working out, but I feel like it was just the first step. I would like to make a three part series that really sums up everything I've learned and have to share. I hope to blur the line between instructional material and art, and am plotting to get some others to work on this with me.

7) Skill development: There are so many little skills I want to develop, like computer skills, yoga, etc.

8) Read: I have not had enough time to read and learn. It is really quite wonderful to hang out in a nice hammock, reading a book while the birds chirp and the river goes by.

9) Playpoi Work: Ooooh, I've got a lot of stuff to do that would make my life easier if I did them. Things like making the website work better, creating a demo DVD and promo materials, applying for grants, finishing a whole bunch of scripts/creative-writing pieces, working out some kind of vague bookkeeping system, etc. The list is way to big.

10) Personal work: I want to make myself a seatbelt for the happy train. I'm happy right now, as I'm not racing towards bankruptcy for the first time in ages, but I really wasn't well for much of the past few years, and I need to address that. This will include everything from developing good habits, both physical and mental, to doing a bit of research into methods for dealing with depression. Mental health sabbatical let's call it.

11) Lining up gigs for next summer: Is it too late already? The time is this fall and early winter to start applying for festivals for next year... but I might miss the boat. Either way I want to finally put some work into promoting myself as a performer. Did you know that I've almost never performed? Yes, it's true, being good at fire spinning does not mean anybody will ever ask you to perform.

12) Dancing regularly: Pai is a good place for this. There aren't a lot of raging, all-night dance parties, but there is often live music and DJs until 1:00am or so, and it's out under the stars!

All of this is off to a great start, although I'm still feeling daunted by my things-to-do list. I've got my bungalow, wifi internet when it works, new friends, good affordable plentiful food... it's very hot during the day (perfect for reading, working on the computer, and napping) and I'm slowly exploring for the best places to practice.

Some of the best things are hard to describe. Life is different here than in the west. The way people hang out with friends and family so much. The way they sell food in the streets. The way traffic works like a bunch of kids in a playground. There is an easiness, a simpleness, and a sense of fun to things in Thailand... or at least in this region of Thailand. Everything is open-faced. Walls retrain heat. Breezes are good, so most restaurants, stores, everything isn't behind windows and walls, it's open and you just walk in.

I'll post more as things develop.

-n biggrin

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Hey beautiful, let me know if there are things I can help with from this end, and/or things you need when I come out ...

loads of love from everyone here!

Just got some gorgeous photos, a circus cd and Sortilege( maple whisky) from MK,will be trying to lure her out there with me!

Is Michel with you?

Your list sounds great... Prioritize the sleep and relax bit so you will be all refreshed for when I arrive wink

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
Hey nick, good luck with getting better.
hope I'll be lucky enough to meet you in a month or so. you're list is very long, don't work too hard:)
chao.

Love, Love, Love...

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
i could help with yoga if you need any help!!!

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

maiukiBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
Hi guys!!

At least I´ve got my ticket!!! Iuju!!! Flying to Bankog the 10 of November till February!! I´ll be so lovely to see u all while I´m on holidays and not working!!! Iuju!!!

Peace and Love from the sunny side of Europe!!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ma'tina, are you coming to Thailand?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Yay! Ma'tina and Mauiki too! Yay!!!!!!!

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
hey nick, check your pm.......i'd love to come as well, but not sure for me at the moment........., the last rabbit hole was awesome already.....thx gomera!

anyway.....so far.....loads of hug kiss grouphug for you all, andrea, nick, maddi, ronan, josh.....

take all care,

tina

xxx

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
good to see that the thread came up on HoP
thanks Ronan ubbrollsmile

I missed last year Gomera's rabbit hole ..
but I'm defenetly up for joining you guys for this one bounce peace bounce2
Unfortunately, I can only afford two weeks off (24/12/06 till about 09/01/07) .. who's gonna be there at the time ?

Nick> points 0, 1, 3, 4, 5 & 12 are exactly what I wanna do there .. enjoy your thai time

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I might come for a visit sometime in march-may. Any other staffers coming ? wink

Point your toes.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Olive, I'll probably be around for some or most of that... although I could be down south or even in Singapore for New Years, as I'm hoping to get work performing.

Would you be willing to come north for your two weeks, or are you hoping to spend it on the islands? :P

n

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
I'm defenetly willing to come north ..
I'm going there to join you guys, & spent some great spinning time .. not really to visit or lay on a beach

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
hey olive! love you'e movies!
wink

Love, Love, Love...

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Wha-hey Olive!
I should definately probably be there around that time, look forward to seeing you again! smile

Still haven't found my tickets..... any day now maybe probably definatly smile

See you all soon

Ronan

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I reckon we will be in the area from about the 20th Dec to the 6th or so of Jan.

Id like to get a better idea of what play camp is all about before committing my holidays to living in one spot smile

will there be workshops nick? or are you just trying to get a crowd of talented people together just to try to get some of those natural synergies going?

cuz if you can teach me some poi stuff I'd be well up for it - but if Im just mainly going to be practising on my own - then I reckon I can do that anywhere - and I prefer the beach for that kind of practise.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Well, as I said, I'm trying to take a break, only I don't want to be isolated for my break, so I've been encouraging people to join me here in Thailand. The idea is to get something collaborative happening, not to have me teaching, and certainly not to have me feeling OBLIGATED to teach workshops. So I'm hoping that anybody who comes to Pai shows up with as much an attitude of contributing as of getting anything out of the situation.

The feeling will be more like a very small, extended juggilng convention, where anybody is encouraged to teach workshops in anything anytime. I'm sure I'll teach some myself, or maybe not, or maybe nobody will, or maybe somebody will teach a workshop every day, or maybe nobody will really show up at all (ok, at least five of us will be here), or maybe dozens will show up. As long as I'm not responsible!

...and this will be the delicate thing for me, how to keep this clear. I don't want to be isolated, but I also don't want a whole bunch of people showing up thinking I'm going to teach them or provide something somehow. That's why it's the Thailand Playcamp (un)Plan. It's an experiment. Maybe it will just be Dan and I doing photography and video and choreographing a boy band act. I'm hoping for a *bit* more, but I would be happy with that.

I MIGHT schedule some kind of UberThailand thing for March, which will be more organized, but I'm really not going to organize anything until after Christmas.

That's why I decided to come to Thailand. I don't have to worry about where they'll stay, how they'll get here, etc. because in Thailand everything is abundant and cheap and friendly and easy. I AM hoping to creat some nice shady places to practice and play, but that's it for now.

So yeah, best not to expect too much. For now it's just a spot designated for enthusiasts to hang out and share and collaborate.

All this might change. ;P

n

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Hey Nick, did you let Yuta and Now know whats up? Japan is not so far away... maybe they can come play with us too!

Page: ...