Forums > Help! > Blind Fire performerStaff//Poi Spinner needs urgent help!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FearsaorRosaBRONZE Member
Cyr Wheel Artist, Fire Performer, Poi Enthusiast
43 posts

Posted:
Hi all,
I am in urgent need of some help here. I am blind and performing is what puts food in my stomach and feeds my dog. Today after I had finished performing and was drining some tea someone came and stole all my equipment light staff glow poi, Fire poi and just a standard set of warmup poi weavesmiley and light up juggling balls. I am unable to make my own poi due to my lack of sight. So if anyone out there has any juggling/poi they no longer need (I dont care how old and batterered.) If anyone is willing to donate any equipment I would be extremely grateful. I will pay postage or whatever necessary. Cant pay much i am sorry. juggle I thought I would ask te online community for help as a last resort. Thankyou
Rosita

Also I was thinking if i can finmd a bunch of like minded people maybe we could do a practice session on clapham common once a week. Anyone interedted?

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

43 posts

Posted:
Hello Anthrax
Ok so we got off on the wrong foot but that slate is now clean. I wasnt seeking pity or trying to beg (Only find help) and I am sorry if it seemed at all that way. I was offended at the time but these things soon pass. I actually posted as i was looking for more blind performers twirlers and fire spinners. I do tight rope and acrobatics a few other things. I am wondering whether there are more people like me. I teach blind kids to read braille and juggle using a set of specially made balls that make sound (electronically) when thrown. I know that onewheeldave was asking me about this. I will explain now how this works. The sound is used to co-ordinate the movemnets and if you miss the ball it lannd on the floor and continue to bllep intermiitantly until located. This improves childrens directional skills and co-ordination.That me roughly other than the fact i train dogs and perform (music as well as poi/circus arts) Thankyou
Rosita

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
good to see this thread back on track and i hope the hostile attitudes will vanish as fast as they appeared.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Huh.

I think I am extremely offended that you all automatically assumed I was being hostile and calling anyone a liar. How is asking the relevance of a detail hostile? I see you all do it every day of each other in countless threads, especially in the Soc Disc. What made this any different?
I wanted an opinion, an answer. Nowhere did I call her a liar or was hostile or accusing her of wrong doing. Those are all implications you read into my post.
I was curious about a detail and asked about it (to which I still have not recieved a full answer here or in PM)

I *never* once said she wasn't blind.
I *never* once attacked her, called her a beggar or anything else I am being accused of.

I also find it intriguing that we have received complaints about this both in PM and email, one by someone offering a very contradictory opinion here.

I take my "mod hat" off when I am inquiring about something out of personal interest and not as a mod and representing HoP. I take great offense to the assumption that I did it to be mean. When I am mean on here, everyone knows it, especially the person I am upset with.

I have also seen sighted people come on here claiming that their stuff was stolen and looking for help replacing it over and over without near as much help or defensiveness being offered.
In my eyes everyone is the same, no matter what, and will get the same treatment from me...which includes me asking questions if I have them. Nowhere in here have I treated Rosita any differently than I have anyone else when I have had a question. Nowhere do I give less or preferential treatment. Why should this be any different?

Her having her stuff stolen sucks.
It does every time someone else has their stuff stolen too.
Nothing changes that. The only way I see it being worse is if someone was outright mugged. But Rosita's circumstance is no different than the hundreds of others who have had their stuff stolen in my eyes.

I've said it before...if you want to find other blind spinners, then put it in the Meet Others section instead of every post you make. It tends to take the edge off how people percieve the posts. Best of luck in that venture.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Pele, I think it was Anthrax and Brit Joes comments, not yours , that pertained to the idea that she might be lying...

And as for Brit Joe saying he did not accuse her of being a liar, but rather that he just mentionned it was a possibility to be aware of in the internet medium- well, yes, technically.But the intent of someone raising it in the way that you did reads as implying guilt. That is probably what raised peoples hackles.

Pele, you say you were just asking a question, so why do people get in a huff? Why was it seen as hostile? Well, I think it might be that it does not come across as a sincere question, a question that is asked for the sole intent of learning something. I suspect many read it as a question asked more to make a point: that you found it - blindness- irrelevant and so should others. It seemed as though you already having a firm opinion on what the correct answer would be, so anything she said would have to be in defense.

I think it sort of sounded like you somehow took issue with her mentionning her blindness for reasons of your own-- particularly because she did actually include a few reasons why blindness was relevent in this situation- not being able to make her own poi, and wanting to connect with others. You do not acknowledge these as sufficient reasons to put mention her blindness , which I find curious.?

Who is to say what aspect of themselves people should or should not include when talking about themselves and their needs? It may not be the least bit important as an identifier for you, but I bet it is for her, cause she is the one living it and chosing to offer up that information.I still can not understand why it would push your buttons int he way it obviously has.

Suggesting that asking about meeting others in with the request she made is inappropriate, and should be placed in the meet others section is silly, lots of times our messages are mixed, and one thought leads to another. To me it was simple and sensible-I just thought she may have wanted to initiate contact as well as ask for help, and make the whole thing more personal and connected.

As for people with impairments/disabilities being able to do things for themselves, no kidding! Of course. But why would you judge whther or not she can or should be able to do that? Just cause someone else can? And you list one example or two of disabled people you know that can, so everyone should? That is absurd. And funny, considering apparently this is one very talented person!Why not just beleive she knows what she can and can not manage? It is just a set of poi, after all. She is not asking for all that much!

Really, I cant even imagine learning and teaching juggling and trapeze without sight.I went without sight for a week, and all the normal stuff was shockingly difficult.I cant even juggle with having sight! It is a pretty exciting idea,how Rosalita teaches, and I am glad to know someone is doing it!

So, Pele, please dont be offended either; maybe everyone should just remember to breathe and gently move on...
grouphug

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Pele, the thing that annoyed me about your post is that you took the thread off topic and started comparing her to other blind people you know.
If "everyone is the same" and blindness doesnt make a difference, why are you comparing her? We are all individuals, we have different strengths and different weaknesses.
Personally I think Rosita is very strong for the abilities she has (sighted or not, she kicks ass!).
Also, yes we do throw our opinions about in social discussion and social chat, as that's where they are meant to be smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

When I am mean on here, everyone knows it, especially the person I am upset with.

I think thats the reason the thread continued wink

Written by: Pele

But Rosita's circumstance is no different than the hundreds of others who have had their stuff stolen in my eyes.

I agree Pele dont get me wrong - just not the best choice of words given the thread eh wink

Id just like to say:

Go Dunc - official grandad and defender of all that is lovely ubblol

As for spare poi - i have some! if you want them please pm me your adress and ill send them to you - not a problem, i mean - who wants poi anyway wink

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Strugz, we may be able to pass on poi via London folk at Firetoys? If not I'll add my poi to your parcel and bung you a quid or two for postage smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
no worries dude - i mean, we cant trust you to send them now can we wink

hug

ubblol

will ring you tonight about stuff and things ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

43 posts

Posted:
To Pele and evryone else here, I expect all sorts of comments good and bad. I will admit that your first post Pele did feel very patronising along the lines of (Why should she ask for our help) I can answer that now I had nowhere else to turn Sorry! But I do agree the intenet is a dodgy place and it is not easy to take people at there word. So I understand where the uneasiness comes from. I listened to you video last night Pele about your fire breathing accident. I can tell by the way people talk that you are a genuine person who sometimes put up a hard defence shell (Dont be offended by that please, I think everybody does it at sometime). Thanks
Rosita

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
PM very much appreciated lovely!

Hopefully will see you at one of them soon! hug sunny

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Strugz
Pleasure to meet you digitally smile. It may be better to send you poi to dunc. He will get them to me. I actuaaly found out what happened from police CCTV. I did actually, have my rucksack tied to my leg (I thought i did). My foot through the armhole. The (censored) that stole it had cut the strap with a knife (Glad I never challenged them now i know that).while his accomplice was talking to me. He had even disconnected the personal alarm that i had on the bag. One of these little personal attack alarms that go off if the string is pulled out. He had taken it from the bag and left it on the ground by my feet. The police are unable to identify the thief but if he tries to come near me, when i get on my feet again. I think he get a whack with my staff (Just joking) Anyway Thankyou
Rosita

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Thats terrible!! What absolute bast*rds!!!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
That really is awful.

Shame the censored can't be identified either.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
that is shocking and whats more out of order is nobody saw what was going on. hope all works out for you rosita

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
i find this whole thread shocking. Has HOP just become a site for people to shout at each other? Seems that way to me.

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

43 posts

Posted:
Yes it is awful (now I know how it happened.) I have just thought his accomplice was asking me about fir poi and how to spin them etc. What fuel to use. I think that if he tries to use them he will definatley burm himself as he had no idea at all. I did warn him of all the precautions etc. Well anyone that knows what Covent Garden is like, Knows that it has 2000 people running around minding there own business and not paying attention to anything in particular other than themselves. smile
Thanks
Rosita

P.S Hope to meet up with some of you somehow.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: CrazyHippyChick

Has HOP just become a site for people to shout at each other? Seems that way to me.

You can't judge HoP as a whole based on one isolated thread rolleyes it's just peaks and troughs Leisa, emotions always move around and right now this thread is back to usual HoP pleasentry smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

Written by: CrazyHippyChick

Has HOP just become a site for people to shout at each other? Seems that way to me.

You can't judge HoP as a whole based on one isolated thread rolleyes it's just peaks and troughs Leisa, emotions always move around and right now this thread is back to usual HoP pleasentry smile

im not judging it on one isoloated thread unfortunatly. i said that based on many threads included ones in which ive been shouted at myself.

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

43 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know if the Spittalfields Market meet is on the evening? If So can some please give me an address of where it is located ie: Closest road name would do. Thankyou
Rosita

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it's on every tuesday

Directions:
Closest Tube: Liverpool Street
Come out of the entrance of Liverpool Street onto Bishopsgate. This is the entrance by the high numbered platforms by WHSSmith, not the entrance by McDonalds or the walkway by Boots.
Turn Cross the road and turn left.
Turn right down Brushfield Street.
Spitalfields Market is the big building on the left just beyond the building site.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Simian
Thankyou smile
I will try my best to follow the directions given. If I get lost i will ask my way. How many of us do you think there will be there? I should hopefully be able to get there. I have no toys so hopefully I can borrow a spare set from someone. THankyou hope to see you tonight. It starts at 7? Many Thanks
Rosita

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I do not doubt your blindness for an instant but I am asking this question out of pure ignorance but how exactly are you reading and writing on this site?

Apologies for my ignorance again! Not being blind I haven't been keeping up with technologies for the blind but is it something like a minicom?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Neon Fowl iin Marinade,
I use a screen reader. It an ordinary computer which reads everything on the display. It reads whatever I type and whatever is written on screen. I am using a program called JAWS it basicaaly reads what would be all the normal visual cues. It tells me where there are link and what they are. Does that answer your question? smile
Thanks
Rosita

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I was wondering the same thing actually...thank you for explaining it to us FieryFireWorld

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Simian and all, What time do we roughly finish down at spittalfield market weavesmiley this evening. Rough idea would be fine. Its just I will get collected as this is probably easiar. I might even get a lift there yet who knows. Thanks juggle
Rosita ubbrollsmile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
the Spittalfields workshop officially ends at ten, and then lots of people pop down to the pub till about eleven.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
That does answer my question! Learn something new every day!

Thanks Rosita. smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

43 posts

Posted:
Hi All,
Anyone going from London to PLAY?
Also to monkey had a great time at the market these even. Thankyou for the welcome. Next time i should be able to come there a lot easiar now I know the way. Thanks
Rosita

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Hi Rosita, I'm glad you had a good time smile I'm sure there will be some sort of bus from London to Play, but your best bet is to ask on the play site: https://www.playfestival.co.uk/

There is a wiki there with a lift share page.

I'm also interested as to how the site works with JAWS: I've not been able to test it.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
i have no old poi sadly, but how about making some withsome cheap long stripy socks and tennis balls?...old skool, yo!
good luck!
Ree

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

Page: