Forums > Help! > Blind Fire performerStaff//Poi Spinner needs urgent help!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FearsaorRosaBRONZE Member
Cyr Wheel Artist, Fire Performer, Poi Enthusiast
43 posts

Posted:
Hi all,
I am in urgent need of some help here. I am blind and performing is what puts food in my stomach and feeds my dog. Today after I had finished performing and was drining some tea someone came and stole all my equipment light staff glow poi, Fire poi and just a standard set of warmup poi weavesmiley and light up juggling balls. I am unable to make my own poi due to my lack of sight. So if anyone out there has any juggling/poi they no longer need (I dont care how old and batterered.) If anyone is willing to donate any equipment I would be extremely grateful. I will pay postage or whatever necessary. Cant pay much i am sorry. juggle I thought I would ask te online community for help as a last resort. Thankyou
Rosita

Also I was thinking if i can finmd a bunch of like minded people maybe we could do a practice session on clapham common once a week. Anyone interedted?

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
ooh, i know thats sounds silly as you have said your blind and struggle, but i thought they would probably be pretty easy, blind or not...god, now I sound patronising and foolish *runs away*

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I doubt they'd be performace quality tho, which is what Rosita is looking for I think smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Dunc and Sym,

The PLAY festival site is not very accessible. I could poit you in the direction of a couple of improvements that would make it easiar to navigate (for someone using a screen reader). I think I eventually got it right I think I managed to book a ticket and use the Wiki page. The program does not particularly like the edit facility but this happens a lot on web pages. I do design websites specially for the visually impaired so if you want help making it more visually impaired friendly just PM me. Thanks

Rosita

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

43 posts

Posted:
Hi, If anyone from London is going to PLAY I would be greatly appreciative of a ride share. Can share fuel costs and will bring lots of laughs and smiles. I will also bring some instruments and play music. (I play panpipes and quena) I will be bringing some tarot cards with me. They are special they have been brailled so i know what they are and other tools for fortune telling if anyone wants to have there fortune told smile Thanks

Rosita
EDITED_BY: FieryFireWorld (1147895021)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
You should post those details in the play thread too Rosita smile

Sym is working on making the site more accessable, it is something he is involved in workwise and is aware that some aspects of the site aren't up to scratch for screen readers. You should see improvements soon smile

You have booked your ticket so I guess the basics must be there, I hope it wasn't too much of a chore hug

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I thought that's what you may have been using. About two years ago at school I did a short day course on making internet sites accessible for all, and had a look at the JAWS program, was a good thing to do, I am glad I did it, just wish now I could remember what we did and how to actually make an internet site.
Having a cousin who is legally blind, I can see where you are coming from, I shall have to pass on your story to her, as even though she lost her site about eight years ago, she is only just starting to become independent again, her dog has helped a lot with this.. if you don't mind am I allowed to tell her about you next time I see her as some inspiration?

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Hanz,
Your welcome to tell your blind cousin about this. If she/he wants JAWS. If they dont already have it I can arrange that too. However please PM me regarding that. I lost my sight when I was 12- 13ish. I have another program called Hal but the functionability is not the same. If you want the latest version of JAWS Pm me. Thanks
Rosita

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I shall speak to her sister, and let you know what happens.

daphnePLATINUM Member
91 posts

Posted:
I'm sad to read all this...
The last thing i thought when i was reading Rosita's post was that she might be lying. I thought how amazing it is that a blind person could juggle. I thought if there was anything i could do to help her. After all, she only asked for some help, not your money, not your brand new shiny pair of poi. She found a creative way to make a living. We should suport it.
Rozita i really wish i had some poi to send you, or help you in some way. I think what you do is fantastic! Unfortunately there will always be people that will try to take advantage of you. But there will always be someone who will support you and care for you. And if you think about it, that's true for everyone!
Love and hugs! smile

I'll tell you this...
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. "Jim Morrison"
"...but I, being poor, have only my dreams
I've spread my dreams under your feet
tread softly because you tread on my dreams..." Yeats

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Ahh yes, I should have added... if I did have spare poi I would happily send them over, but the only ones I own are the ones I use, so sorry! However, keep us updated on what happens

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Daphne and Hanz,
I will get there eventually. I am hoping that by the time play gets here i will have some poi. If not then I will Have to make do. Thanks and all the bes
Rosita

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
redface Sorry Rosita I forgot to take my spare poi to Firetoys to have them taken to London, but I will have it at play so can give it to you then smile

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Rosita: I am unsure as to whether you have told us what is wrong eye-wise, but if it isn't too much of a personal question, would you mind telling us? I am interested in this due to my cousin.

43 posts

Posted:
Hi Dunc And Hanz,
Sorry for the late reply. I dont know if I am going to PLAY at the moment dunc. Just had a major crisis and it may take a month to sort out however i am hoping to sort it be the time play gets here.
Hanz, no its not too personal of a question.I have dry Macular Degeneration and Retinal Degeneration. They are both relativley untreatable. Thanks
Rosita

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hey that's what my uncle had, it was a rather late onset but now they are watching my eyes

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Rosita: sorry, but would you be able to explain that for me?

I can't think off the top of my head what my cousin has but she has had retinal detatchment in the past and the pressure in her eye is wonky, it keeps getting too low and she gets retinal detatchment and it gets close to being too high, if it gets too high her eye will explode. She has also recently had a thing which is pretty much wrinkly retina, which is what it sounds like. She's been blind since she was twelve and is eighteen or nineteen now. When mum wakes up I will ask her what it is called

43 posts

Posted:
Ok Hanz, I have written enough leaflets regarding MD.
Macular degeneration (MD) is an eye disease that destroys central vision by damaging the macula. The macula is part of the retina, a thin layer of nerve cells that lines most of the inside of your eyeball. Nerve cells in the retina detect light and send signals to the brain about what your eye sees. The macula, near the centre of the retina at the back of the eyeball, provides the clear, sharp, central vision that you use for focusing on what is in front of you. The rest of the retina provides side (peripheral) vision.

Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) is the name given to a group of eye diseases often characterised by night blindness and the gradual loss of peripheral vision. RP causes visual field loss, and may lead to eventual blindness, by affecting the light sensitive photoreceptors in the retina. A degenerative disease affecting over four million people world wide, RP is a common form of retinal degeneration (RD). Related conditions include Macular Degeneration, Usher Syndrome, Choroideremia, Leber's Amaurosis and Retinoschisis.

Hope this helps you a little its not too in depth but indepth enough. Thanks
Rosita

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
The first one (MD) sounded right, so I asked mum, and yes, my cousin has Macular degeneration and retina uveitis

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Hi Rosita, hope you don't mind me asking, but was wondering how severe your condition is? (mum is asking lots of questions)

43 posts

Posted:
I am not left with any usable sight. But that is because I have a combination of two diseases. Most people only lose there central vision. But i have lost my peripheral vision as well due to the retinal degeneration.

Also Message for Dunc. I dont know if i can get to PLAY. I have not transport. Do you know anyone going from London~?
Thanks
Rosita

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
was talking to mum yesterday, I thought my cousin had some vision left, but she is down to none in one eye, and close to none in the other.

43 posts

Posted:
I have just come back to HOP after a long absense. I felt unwelcome. I am currently based in Scotland.

I have not performed since the incident which started this thread. Would like to meet other performers in the Edinburgh area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank You
Rosita

Page: