Forums > Social Chat > Insults against spinning Poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
Dont you hate it when your spinning and being called gay or something just for spinning LED's or Fire. I mean people dont understand how difficult it is or how dangerous it can be. I know some people here probably are able to filter it out now and pretend it wasnt said. But it is really lame how people do that. Arent we supposed to be living in an open minded society? Plus whats up with people calling things Gay anyhow, wouldnt you expect people to describe it differently after passing the age of 16. confused

i suppose the good part is being able to come to this website and share a common interest with so many other people, where i live i havent really met any other spinners but have started to teach a few.

EDITED_BY: Spacecow00x (1106176506)

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Puresock

I once got asked "Is that real fire?" by some kids. I'm not quite sure if that's a heckle or not, I was a little confused.

Heh! I got that one too once! wow - I thought there was only like one person in the world that stupid! I mean, even a guinea pig is going to know it is real fire! I wish I had said no and held out a wick for him to touch. oh well, next time.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

Also, bboys who want to "Battle" me... I've never understood that...

oh, I LOVE it when they do that! (not being sarcastic).

it is not often in life where you get the opportunity to teach a cocky kid a lesson in about 30 seconds flat without anyone getting hurt.

-v-

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
*Gasp* Bad evil Vanize! ubblol No burning stupid people! They can't help that they were dropped on their heads as babies!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
someone so stupid as to think we are playing with 'fake' fire should be removed from the gene pool.

-v-

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
ubblol van, you would HATE spinning at the beach here, the most common questions are "is that real fire?" and "is that fire hot?"
to wich we reply, "no" and "no its cold fire. we ran of the hot fire"

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Also, bboys who want to "Battle" me... I've never understood that...

isn't battling a part of the glowsticking scene or is it just some of the glowstickers that get into that?

it kinda makes sense - sick moves to music are sick moves to music.
why should it matter whether or not you're dancing with glowsticks?

it would be hard to choose a winner but a battle between say a contact juggler vs. a poi swinger/glowsticker vs a bboy would be great to watch... smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Sounds just like the beach where Vanize got that comment then. Of course, the person making the comment was either super drunk or super f*ed up.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
that was more than drunk me thinks...

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
yah, but he couldn't stand straight, so it might have been in there somewhere. He was leaning in some strange fashion.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
At Manchester last weekend there was a great crowd watching - really appreciative (and generous - £165 for Tsunami fund). A kid about 10 came up with his bruv and sis and asked if he could have a go with my mouse poi and his elder bro asked where he could buy some for them all - that was nice and seems to happen to me alot, but always with young kids.
Maybe 'grown-ups' are just intimidated cos they suspect you can do something they can't - classic ignorant response to the unknown and the penalty we pay for being 'different' - stuff 'em

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"someone so stupid as to think we are playing with 'fake' fire should be removed from the gene pool."

Fully agree. And the world will be lighter.

Getting to the other side smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
one extra monkey off its back?

-v-

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Precisely. Less of a drain on resources.

Getting to the other side smile

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
what was it scrooge said...

'decrease the surplus population'...

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

it would be hard to choose a winner but a battle between say a contact juggler vs. a poi swinger/glowsticker vs a bboy

No it's not - Contact every time wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Here in the good ole US of A we get the "Are you a raver?" or "do you take ecstasy?" questions.

Followed inevitably by "Hi, I'm a raver, do you know where I can get some ecstasy?" wink
EDITED_BY: NYC (1106251861)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've been asked if its real fire, twice.... so far. ubbloco

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
i just want to know what they think it is if it isnt real fire lol
ITS PLAY DOUGH OMG!!!11oneone

Look down, time to fly!

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
heyas everyone, it's been awhile since i've been around to do finals and all... lotsa studyin n such.

but on the subject of this thread....

NYC... YES..... i've gotten the: "are you a raver or something" 2 billion and a half times.

them: so are you a raver? do you do E? do they call it E? or X? so you're a druggy? is that some kind of witchcraft or old magic or something?

me: yes, yes i'm a druggy. I only spin these glowsticks around my body to help suppress the incredible urges to do E and X all day every day... be careful, or i might turn YOU into a pill with my witchcraft. Now if you'll excuse me, i need to continue suppressing these killer urges... with my witchcraft.

it's kinda like walkin up to a black guy and saying: so... you're a gangsta right? you deal drugs and shoot people right? are you addicted to crack and living on the streets?

well.... maybe not THAT bad... but there are similarities.

if you do that you could get killed though, i guess people don't get that it's more similar than it seems.....

especially teenagers man... when i'm chillin outside waiting for one of my classes to start stringin for practice i love all the guyswho want to impress their girlfriends and ask me if htey can try... as it was said before, they hit themselves in the balls in no time flat..... beautiful!

*end of rambling*

much love
-Z

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
...Still ticking over on the donkey idea...

Anyway. I don't know who said it but I like this one:

"The problem with this world is stupidity. I’m not saying that we should have capital punishment for being stupid but how about taking the warning labels off things and letting the problem sort itself out?"
EDITED_BY: Domino (1106307343)

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I've never had any abuse firetwirling. I've only ever been in public performing a couple of times and there's only about 2 firetwirlers around my town anyway so it's a rarity for them to see so most people appreciate it.

Oh I got'Your hair is on fire' just before when I twirled at a gig at the skate park, I was tempted to walk towards him spinning my staff and just circling around them...but I was over it within 3 seconds.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I can't believe "Is that real fire?" is actually a common question. What do they think it is? Clever hologram work?

If I ever get asked that again I might say "No, it's not even hot, here, touch it.". But maybe that would be too cruel. smile

"Take that, math!"

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
lol, its usually the scally's over here that ask if its real fire,

but the funniest was in my school. i was spinning in my form room with a really old set of poi that was my mates, and some ass came in the room, and started attempting to hurl insults over the music, and the head actually snapped off one of the poi and hit him square between the eyes.
according to the school nurse it took him about 45 mins to wake up ubbloco the fool...

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
The pois know. Never insult the pois. They see EVERYTHING!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i had a white kid who thought he was black tell me that anyone could do that. i almost fell on the floor laffing. i would have told him to have a go, but i was using tail poi and i didn't feel like untangleing them.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I havent been insulted... however this girl really p'd me off the other day.
My cousin was playing with my glo poi and these people came up and started asking her about them, so she got me and someone says "what are they?" and I said "they're poi" so a few minutes later one of the girls says to me "so, have you heard of pois" and I was like "pois? wha??" then realised she would have meant poi, so I said "yeah, thats what these are" so she turns around and says "no they're not, pois are differant, they're not pois"
Now come on girl, your walking around with glo sticks doing absolutely nothing with them, and you tell me that my poi arent pois, I know they're not pois... they POI.

Now someone please correct me, but no matter how many poi you have, it is still only poi and not pois, right?

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
a gaggle of poi definately

Look down, time to fly!

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
ya know what's worse than the hecklers though, i spin in a club and i actually had a girl walk up and spill her drink on me (not notice) and tell me she's going to spin fire later and wants to spin my hard plastic beaming balls in a room full of people...
this girls trashed, place is packed, i'm responsible and she gets pissed cuz i won't let her spin my poi!...

real eyes
realize
real lies

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
Well, to be honest, I did do fire, my first time, while quite drunk redface I did the only thing I could do well, then stopped as I'm a bit accident prone.... and yes, I know it was a stupid thing, but I know that I wouldn't even bother if really drunk, well, I'd do it without the fire just to see how much I'd hit myself ubblol Which I have witnessed an extremely drunk irishman try over and over and over agian, he was covered black and blue from bruises and the soot (?) by the end of the night... but he loved it and tried again when sober... and then drunk and then sober and ....

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

It Really does amaze me that people would ask if it is real fire...

To ask if its real fire is to assume that "Fake" fire exists right?

for someone to think that there is some such thing as "fake or "Cold"
fire is stupidity of die grössest Kinde <-- please excuse the fake german

Serious.. they deserve the "here touch it" response. thats what i am going to do when i start spinning "Real Fire"

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Page: