Forums > Social Chat > Insults against spinning Poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
Dont you hate it when your spinning and being called gay or something just for spinning LED's or Fire. I mean people dont understand how difficult it is or how dangerous it can be. I know some people here probably are able to filter it out now and pretend it wasnt said. But it is really lame how people do that. Arent we supposed to be living in an open minded society? Plus whats up with people calling things Gay anyhow, wouldnt you expect people to describe it differently after passing the age of 16. confused

i suppose the good part is being able to come to this website and share a common interest with so many other people, where i live i havent really met any other spinners but have started to teach a few.

EDITED_BY: Spacecow00x (1106176506)

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
When did that happen? Ask them if they want to have a go. They'll hit themselves in the balls in no time flat.

Somewhere on here there was a link to replys to hecklers, may favourate was:

"Look, I don't have time for this -- You're ugly, your dick's small and everyone f**ks your mother. Can we move on?"

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
My friend called me a drum majorette the other day.

I laughed and told him to %&*(ing go &*)$ himself with a %£%$ing drumstick!

He's alright really.

He'll probably stop saying that too when I get round to setting fire to it.

(never insult a man with a man with a burning stick... good rule of thumb, that)

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
doesn't gay mean happy?...:)

real eyes
realize
real lies

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I got this from a psytrance forum that I frequent, which labelled all the different archetypes in psytrance scenes across the globe:

Written by:

1 Fire Spinners - Covered in oil and leather these artistic beasts come bearing the flame and are often half naked. Likes to spin fire in the middle of the dance floor so they can feed their egos. Typical attention whores that make everyone stop and watch them instead of other Dancers or the DJ. Seen inside circles of people these leather-bound bastards are the "breakers" of the psy scene. (submitted by Josh at Init String) Often female, attractive, and bisexual and proud of it!

Made me giggle, that's for sure!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
whoa...what?...psytrance? i'm prolly stupid, but exactly what is that?

real eyes
realize
real lies

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
psytrance. as in psychedelic trance. I have a friend at my uni that listens to it a lot. Good music for spinning to...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Trinity1GOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
you know I never personally had any one ever really insult...well mabe the did and i just let it go ...meah!! who knows when ever i spin i always have the biggest smile on my face anyways , i fade everything else out... i even took them to my theripist and showed her what i do to relax she loved them and actually asked me to bring them back ...i even do it so often i got a work out group who asked me to teach them how to do it. most of the people i show think of it as a positive and very useful way to release stress. this makes me very happy.
-christina

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
some girl at a bar/nightclubby thing called me gay when i was spinning. but she tried to pick me up and i told her to go shove it, so that may have been the cause.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
I feel left out, no-one ever calls me anything because of my poi'ing... when I dressed as a metaller ), I never got any hassle from anybody, even in my classic iron maiden demin jacket with said patches all over it. frown

I want some abuse!!!!!!!

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

What possible reason could anyone possibly have to insult someone spinning poi?

Thats the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.
to a person who has never seen it before. a poi spinner looks absolutely incredible. Exactly the reason i myself started spinning.

I know there are a lot of Dickheads out there that just want to spoil peoples fun. I think the germans have a word for them "Nicht Menslicht" Perhaps we should do somhting about it......

Can anyone Spell "auschwitz"? biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
People just tend to say silly things like...

"Whats the point in that?"
"Why are you doing that?"
"What you trying to proove?"
"Thats really eazy - i could do that with my eyes closed!"

I always offer people the opputunity to have a go with my poi - altho i find many people seem to be offended when i offer them socks instead of my fire poi. It isnt until people have a go that it makes them realise how much you have to practise. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Vixen:

Indeed poi isnt easy.
These people need to just shut the hell up and enjoy the show

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Tip number1: Get on a Donkey.
Tip number 2: Give would-be hecklers your beamers to play with. This should render the heckler unconcious and unable to heckle you further. This is now a good time to take back your beamers and run somewhere else to play. smile
Tip Number 3: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you run screaming at the heckler like a banshee with your fire poi flailing wildly around you. This is likely to upset and alarm the heckler into heckling you further when the lit chains wrap round your head and start to set fire to your hair.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I hate it when people heckle and abuse, I would let them play with my aerotechs and get hit with them but I wouldnt wanna damage them on such an unworthy adversary!

My favourite comeback is this really chavvy girl was being all mouthy and next to her she had this really ugly bloke the typical chav one u know so i said when you get older your boyfriend is going to kill you with a screwdriver, seemed to shut her up ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
hahahaha. The best bit is, its always the nasty chavvy heckler people that are the ones standing there the longest, drooling all over your stuff and making out they've got more interest in thier bottle of white lightening. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Bloody Townies..

rolleyes

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I once got asked "Is that real fire?" by some kids. I'm not quite sure if that's a heckle or not, I was a little confused.

"Take that, math!"

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
What like in apposed to the fire you buy in a can? xxx

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I was genuinly asked if I used water to firebreathe with....

umm

rolleyes

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

That person was pretty smart....

Cook me up some grits and saddle up tha mule mah...
i'm gonna get me some education...

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
On Sunday we were spinning on some grass and a car drove past and called us a bunch of wank**s. I think it had something to do with Frodo and 2bags flashing at them though...

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
some people *throws hands in air*

nah i really want some hecklers to get stuck into. on a juggling site a guy i know has there were some good comebacks to hecklers. some as follows:

"dont heckle me b**ch!"

"why dont you take that condom out of your wallet and strech it over your head because if you're going to act like a d***head you may as well dress the part"

"hey, do i come to your work and tell you how to mop the floor?"

"now for the knife in the heckler trick"

yeh, but on the other hand at a music festival i went to over newyears there was this drunk guy waling around with a sex doll who shouted out to a comedian on stage " hey! i heard you were a good heckler!" and the comedian was stumped, very funny situation.

i just like the word heckler smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Hey Mr Majestic

Where are you in hobart? i am a local too

forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Bra-QSILVER Member
92 posts

Posted:
One of my neighbors once came 'flying' out on a broomstick. Everybody here thinks I'm a witch because I spin poi. I don't see the connection.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unregistered

Tip number1: Get on a Donkey.

confused I'm trying to work out if this is a non sequitur, a budget version of "getting on the high horse" or a reference to kicking someone's ass...

Written by: Puresock

I once got asked "Is that real fire?" by some kids.

Again this confuses the hell out of me, even more so beacuse you're not the first person I've seen mention that. As opposed to what exactly? Maybe people think "That's not possible = there's a trick = can't be real fire"

And I found that list of replys

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Come to Belfast for real rudeness and total uninterest.

Belfast is the only place I know where people don't give money to buskers or street performers on point of principle (dirty smelly hippy tramps).

They look at fire performers as if you've just crawled out from under their shoe, citing the performance as arrogance, attention-seeking, 'i could do that', 'that's not real fire', etc and just general snottiness.

Now, I understand that we don't really have a culture of street performance here, so it's all a bit new to them, but jesus, some manners wouldn't be hard!

Eg: Busking in Temple Bar, Dublin (albeit with drummers) - 130 euro in half an hour
Busking in Belfast the night before Christmas Eve (without drummers in the rain) - 3 pounds in two hours (oh, and a bottle of cheap wine from a spinner friend who happened to be walking by).

Also, doing gigs outside a nightclub in town... despite the obvious rudeness of taxis and people driving and wandering into your playing space and forcing you to stop, they then look at you as if to say - what are you doing in my way?! Grrr. Fools

Getting to the other side smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

a budget version of "getting on the high horse" or a reference to kicking someone's ass...

Nope. smile

Joliver

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I honestly think a lot of it has to do with peoples attitudes towards busking/panhandling. Personally, I'm not a fan of it. I've never given anyone a tip for doing so. I've never seen or heard anyone worthy of my coin, and I've seen buskers in plenty of different countries.

To me, they just look like someone that can't be bothered to get a real job, so why should I support them when I've got a steady job and know they aren't always difficult to find (at least something that pays). I've lived in the same place as Spacecow. The mean income of that city is not great, and the people there easily look down on beggars (and yes, that's how they see it). There is no major industry to bring in the big bucks and people are resentful of others they think are trying to get a free buck. They often don't realize work goes into busking.

So, my advise would be to make your "act" look professional. Have obvious safety measures in place. Have your fuel in an out of the way location. Engage the audience in some way. Smile, look like you are enjoying what you are doing. It is a performance after all. Switch what you do up a bit. If it's always the same style or to the same music, people will get bored and think you didn't put any time into what you are doing.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, you people are lucky.

Here in the good ole US of A we get the "Are you a raver?" or "do you take ecstasy?" questions.

Then, insert the obligitory "techno sucks" and mocking of glowsticks, that is of course, until they see me spin.

Also, bboys who want to "Battle" me... I've never understood that...

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Kael i know how you feel man. see i am a raver, and every censoreding time i go to club and dance, once i get off the floor i swaer i can count to 10 and like clock work i get "hey man you're a good dancer. do you know were i can get some E?" and when i tell them no they presist like im going to say "oh wait sense you bugged the crap out of me here you go"

as for the b-boy thing......just do what i do, trip then and make it look like a dance move biggrin they hate that

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Page: