Forums > Social Chat > unPC 25+ club - "advantages of age!"

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
In another thread, this post came up which I think is a great idea for a thread on its own.I'll keep the guys name out, in case he gets attacked by teenyboppers. They are welcome to attack me instead winkWell, I have a question for the "Older" set. So now that we are over the 25 year old ranking what is the differences you have noticed in your life?I have found that I HATE cheap liquor. When I was >25, I could enjoy sitting around all night and pounding back a few really cheap beers. Now I buy Talisker scotch or any good microbrew beer (Magic Hat https://www.magichat.net/main.html
is my personal favorite this month) and enjoy slowing it down and paying more attention to the details. I personally have found that I CAN’T stand dealing with people that I would have fallen all over myself to try and impress when I was >25.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Then Pele responded with ---------Hmmmmm...nice question Peter!I have always appreciated the little things but now I have people stop and look at it with me!I enjoy down time with my friends more. It used to be that we always had to go out. Always had to do something. Now we can sit around, and do not much but have a ball doing it. Some of my best memories with my friends are hanging out recently by candle light just talking. Along these lines my best friends are not the ones I made in high school where I was with them because of circumstance. My best friends are the ones I choose to be with now.I appreciate time more. I am more apt to run out the door looking less than perfect so I have more time someplace else. I am more apt to skip doing the dishes to go on a picnic or read with my son (not taking into account that I hate doing dishes!).Sex isn't as important as the contact and connection, but it is damn fun all the same!I hate to break it to you SW, but cheap liquor has always sucked! I have more drive, more determination and more of a sense of playfulness. I have found that there is a profound difference in being playful and having fun and just being irresponsible. Because of this I have a more balls out attitude developing.I have learned my family's opinions of my life don't actually mean shit.I have also learned that what impact I have on others is not always just something that happens but something I have control over, and can effect.Overall, the past 5 years for me have been profound and wonderful. The most important thing I learned is that fun and life do not end the older I get. In fact things are only getting better with each passing year so keeping that in ming I look forward to my 30's (in two years).------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
1 < 2The aligator always eats the bigger number. So it's "When I was < 25"...I actually love being older. I get to do many more things and know much more. I love coming home to my own place with my own stuff that I bought with my own money. It's cool. My brothers and students keep my young. I still kick their butts at Nintendo (3 time Family Champion)... I haven't had a curfew in 10 years but I still get a kick out of coming home on the weekends at 5AM. smileI love my life.[Lesson for the kiddies: Stay in school, enjoy the simple things in life, have kickass adulthood.]PS. Don't feel badly about having this unPC excusionary post. The kids started it and I think it's great. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
damn, I have to wait a whole year plus 13 days before I can gloat about my observations...in other words - ITS MY BIRTHDAY SOON. 27th November. You have all had due warning.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I agree the best part of getting older is the independance. Oh ya! Not having any homework unless you want it is nice too. My grandfather told me the first sign of old age is forgetting to pull your fly up. The second sign is forgetting to pull it down. I thought that was a funny thing for an 80 year old man to say.------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
NYC - Always the teacher wink (actually that is exactly how I learned it -> back in '85)Ok - so I won't be 25 til 2003, but stuff it!I understand what you are talking about and I will be finishing my education in < 10 days. 18 years of study (not counting kindy) is enough. In the last 5 years I have grown to be someone I always wanted to be.I am confident.I value other's opinions, but don't let them control me.I really like myself and I think life can really only get better smileCan't wait to get older, but I am also in no rush.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the self-centered thread of the over 25 ... wink2 big "shocks" for me wherea) when a kid first called me "madam"... I froze and stood there like an idiot cause we had only 5 years difference maximum...b) when I realized that my grandmother can be a lot younger than I am in her mind and heart and I got a kick in the butt. She alsways brings me energy to be young. Sounds silly ?Otehr than that I found out I cannot recover as easily as before from a sleepless night, I become a bit more picky about whom I give my love to, and still have not quit smoking (been smoking for 14 years ...) and that alone proves that I am still really silly.Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Always learn from the shit that happens in your life and it then becomes positive shit.Ive always loved my life but now I appreciate it too, and am at peace with the world and myself, generally (except for the baby thing, I dont want one for at least another 10 years but by then Ill be quite an old mother!)Worst and Best thing; I finaly realise that I am attractive at an age where I am starting to loose it!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
While I'm not actually old enough to post here (I'm 22), sometimes I really feel old.Mainly when I remember I have a pension, and if I go to a club with my friends, I'm about a foot taller than the kids they let in (although that speaks volumes about the calibre of club in Wycombe more than anything else).I've also found that I can't drink anywhere near the amounts I used to, and I can't drink cheap alcohol at all anymore.I remember the originals of songs that have been covered by crappy boy bands.Most of the time, I'd much rather go for a drink in a quiet pub rather than one where you can hardly hear each other think.I tend to get a bit disappointed that I've seen 22 years pass and not really done much in that time.But then I remember I'm getting paid more than people younger than me, and I can afford new toys more often than they can.I have a car with reasonably low insurance premiums, and I can get into clubs/pubs without having to carry ID around.Also, when my friends go to Uni, I can go visiting fairly often and I'll finally have the money to enjoy myself at student prices rather than try to save every last penny to pay for the next drink. Even better, when I do visit, I'll be surrounded by 18 year old girls.Just remember, you're only as old as the person you're feeling smile------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Hey Charles, Thanks for thinking my question merited a new thread. I'm a big boy now and I will take credit or punishment for what I say in public. So YES I posted the original question.I guess that with age does come with wisdom. smilePersonally I'm still a seeker of it. As for getting physically older I have noticed a few things...#1. After 25 time speeds up considerably#2. Teen Drivers REALLY do suck#3. I'm no longer in the age group that they market TV shows at. #4. No one cares that you don't "dress to impress" anymore. #5. And IMHO the biggest one ... I have realized that younger (men in general) people really lack creativity when it comes to kinky sex. <~~~For PeleOh and just for the record I realized that my spelling and my diction still sucks but spell check is my friend. NYC, Thanks for the correction. It’s been a LONG time since high school and some times these things slip your memory when you get to be my age. I’m blaming getting older on my short/mid term memory loss and not all the partying I did in the 80’s. smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

4,224 posts

Posted:
And I remember when i was little how I hated that sentence "you'll understand when you're older" etc...have not completely changed my mind because i think children / kids / teenagers can understand a lot more than what some grown up like to think.HOWEVER, i can't help thinking about the story of the orange :you can describe to me in any possible words what an orange tastes like, you can even do it so clearly and so well, that I can also start describing it to otehrs , imagining what is is like. but I'll never really know what it tastes like until I tried / experienced it myself.. that is when times does play a role.just a thoughtShine onCassandra

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
or raspbarry jam..... wink

4,224 posts

Posted:
raspberry jam ? did someone mention raspberry jam ?YUMMY !!! smileoops, wrong thread !!!shine onCassandra

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Like a lemon, only not sour. Or a grapefruit with no aftertaste.Duh.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Getting WAY off topic but ......--------------------------------------Aligned Lesson: Do We All Look-Alike? Overview This activity will allow the learner to gain an understanding that all people are unique, no matter how similar they may appear. It promotes the concepts of respecting and understanding others. Assessed Standards and Benchmarks--Jefferson County HISTORY STANDARD 3: Students understand the nature of societies that societies are diverse and have changed over time. LANGUAGE ARTS STANDARD 3: Students write effectively for a variety of purposes and audiences. Addressed Standards and Benchmarks: Language Arts Standard 7 Assessments History/Social Studies: Each student will compare and contrast the orange during the activity to learn how people are unique yet similar. Reading and Writing: Each student will make two lists of characteristics, one describing an orange and one describing themselves to share with class. Prerequisite Skills Understanding of adjectives and descriptive words Instructional StrategiesBefore class, use a fluorescent highlighter to mark each orange with a number (it will be invisible). Begin with the number 1 and keep going until you have marked enough oranges for the number of class participants. Store the oranges in one container. Allow students to select one orange. Have them take turns holding the orange under the black light to identify the number on the orange they have selected. Give everyone one minute to look at their orange. Give each student five minutes to write as many characteristics as possible to describe their orange. Have everyone return his or her orange to one container. Mix up the oranges. Have students find the same orange that they described. How are the oranges the same, different? How are people the same, different? After students have identified their orange, they list characteristics that describe themselves. Use the list of student characteristics to play a guessing game. Students compare and contrast oranges and themselves as described in the assessment. Ask questions such as: Although all oranges look the same, they were all different. How is this like people in our class? Transfer Most students will be able to identify their original orange. If by chance two children are convinced that one orange belongs to both of them, use it as an opportunity to use conflict resolution skills. Students could discuss the concept of twins and people with very similar physical appearances and how they feel when others don't recognize them as being an individual. What other qualities do people have besides physical characteristics that make us unique? Resources 1 orange for each person, a yellow fluorescent highlighter, 1 black light bulb, 1 lamp base, and 1 box or basket to hold all the oranges. ------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I see no way in which this activity will raise standardized test scores. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
DISadvantage of Age - The inability to refrain from using any exscuse to show your knowledge on an unrelated topic or discuss a story from your past.Also, the continual application of the above inability... grin grin grin wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I will say what I love is that I think I have more creativity and am in better physical shape with each passing year. When you are young you "know" you have all the time in the world, the older you get the more you realize you want to accomplish something before that time runs out. Things become more precious and priorities tend to take shape in mays you wouldn't expect. I love that.And I couldn't agree more SW, the "older set" has much better sex thanks to ingenuity and experience!!!!! Whips and chains anyone????? Hot oil???? Raspberry Jam??? wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I thought these were relevant:
quote:
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
quote:
Now that I'm older, here's what I've discovered . . . I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.My wild oats have turned into prunes and All Bran. I finally got my head together; now my body is falling apart. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded... All reports are in; life is now officially unfair.If all is not lost, where is it? It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.I wish the buck stopped here; I sure could use a few... It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.Only time the world beats a path to your door is when you're in the bathroom.If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does everyone decide to play chess?It's not hard to meet expenses...they're everywhere. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth. These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after!
------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 15 November 2001).]

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Now where did I put those darn spectacles?

Meh

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
The older I get the more excuses I have for the lack of a short term memory!!M
Non-Https Image Link
------------------"To seek the perfection of the warrior's spirit is the only task worthy of our temporariness, and our manhood" Carlos Castenada

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
No Marlboro, that's not your age, that's just cos of all the ganja u smoke ! winkThe things love about getting older are:the increase in confidece i got when I reached 30,not giving a s**t what ppls opinions of my lifestyle are, more patience, I no longer feel compelled to get horredously drunk at the weekends (hangovers get worse the older you get), my kid is nearly a grown up and finally feeling at home in my body.Cassandra, getting called Madam is not so bad really. I get mistaken (mostly by kids but adults too sometimes) for a man!!! I am nearly 6 foot tall though, with a shaved head and quite a muscular physique. I once got asked at a festival if I was a man in DRAG!!!!!!(I don't wear dresses much anymore) winkOnelove, Thistlefirepixie smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 16 November 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

4,224 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
tough life winkshine onCassandra

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Hey Charles!I resemble that remark! smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Well, the obvious advantage of being young, of course, is that we have all these benefits lined up for us in the future...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Now I see the difference between us youngsters and you old folk!You lot want to do sociological experiments with oranges and highlighters and blacklights.Us youngsters would think stuff it - use the highlighter to decorate the room, turn off the lights and turn the blacklight on, make poi out of the oranges, get some doof and have ourselves a wild party!! wink (jk - I'm sure y'all party as hard if not harder!!)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Bendy,The difference between partiers and age difference is easy. When you’re older you don't have to wait for your parents to go out to have a party. smileWell, that and you USUALLY don't have to worry about wakening up and next morning and going "Your HOW OLD?" LOL------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter