Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Weave to Butterfly with Sticks x2 (how?)

Login/Join to Participate

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Hey, does anyone know any transitions to change from double staff weave style moves (both spinning one direction) to butterfly style (spinning opposite direction)?

Cos I don't, and I want to

Anything that doesn't involve one of the staffs blatantly stopping then turning the other way would be cool. I'm thinking (wishfully) that theres got to be some cunning flick-of-the-wrist type maneuvers to switch almost imperceptibly from one to the other. There are, aren't there? Huh? Huh?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Right I played around with:

2 staffs going foward let them pass inside your arms at the same time, just as they are coming out of the insidespin you kinda gotta push with the palms of your hands (or that big lumpy bit at the bottom of your thumb whatever you call it) forcing your staffs to spin more kinda horizontal and then wup 'em behind your back. without stopping you should be in a backwards ??butterfly?? thing. In any case 2 sticks moving different directions. Well thats as close as I can get to explaining it. It is possible. And from that you can go into a threading the needle with 2 staffs. Have a laugh.
T.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hey Simian Tempest showed me that move at the PIP the other week. Perhaps we could have a play around with it tonight????

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

3,149 posts

Posted:
I'll be well up for some playing with doubles tonight if I make it. I'm currently struggling through a day at work with a hardcore cold messing my head up. I'm still in two minds about whether I'll drag my pestilent frame down to Spitz.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Well if I don't see you and ya doubles tonight, you'll get some of this...and not forgetting some of these just cos it's you.

Hope you feel better honey

BamBam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo bambam,

thnax for the shot of yer aerotechs at pip brw, great fun.

The easist way to change into butterfly is simply to turn 90degrees.

start with both going the same direction inna wall plane. if you turn 90degrees towards the hand going forwards and manipulate the plane so that what should be side plane becomes wall plane it transitions into butterfly. (backwards if you turn towards the forward hand and vice versa.

maybe a little difficult to get your head around but I promise to show you next time we meet.

Nix?

(p.s. a little fingerspin and you go into alternate butterfly.)

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
first time ever on HoP that i am in total disagreement with Nix?.... i think that transition is not pretty to say the least... and that stops are beautiful IF (and only if) done well... so try both his way and mine... find a stop that you like and work at it til it is smooth... then get back to me
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Hello,

actually I really like stops, i just dont do them cos I taught myself the trasitions first. do it all I say.....

N

p.s., rob Im shocked, shurly youve disagreed with me before now?

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
ok ok , I'm just astupid little mod stuck all the way out here in NZ, nowhere near all you crazy staffers...

What in h*ll is a doubles staff butterfly?

i know what a poi butterfly is, and it just doesn;t seem to work in my mind.

Do you mean a wrists-together double fingerspin?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I htink it just means butterfly-style. As in sticks going opposite directions. Wrists need not be together at all - but there be nice moves where they are:)

Hope That's right. If not then I'm confused too. I thinkit's just to destinguish between moves where stick move in the same direction and moves where they're opposites.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
napalm fairy is totally right, its just a way to describwe the spin of sticks relative to each other.

N

-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
not true... you can do both thread the needle(one fingerspin/hand wrap) or extra beat thread the needle(....more)

and tom i have disagreed....but not so vehemently
Love
R

brain replacement...anyone?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
So Nix, you mean its just simultaneous fingerspins in the opposit direction...

That sounds too easy...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
poor Charles. If only they'd use the Staff Terminology you worked soo damn hard to develop.

now, where is that thread?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

3,149 posts

Posted:
who the what the hey now?

ah well, thats what happens when you try to describe the paths of spinning cylinders in three-dimensional space using a language which evolved mainly for the purpose of facilitating mating.

Anyway, I meant "butterfly" and "weave" not as specific moves, but as any move where the staffs are spinning in opposite directions relative to each other (butterfly moves) or any move where the staffs are spinning in the same relative direction (weave moves). I didn't actually mean specific moves that looked like the 3-beat weave or wrists together butterfly.

Is that any clearer? Or just even more confusing

oh well, hopefully after playing around a bit in the park tomorrow I'll be able to post some answers myself

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
simian is right charles, the double wrist together figerspin is a butterfly type move but not what were on about here. I tried to develope terminology for this (doubles terms dont exist on the "nameing staff moves" thread) and called it 'follow' or 'cross' time, which can be translasted into 'weave' or 'butterfly' time.

goddit?

Tom

-><- Kallisti

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
lol - poor confused Charles. They're just names to generalize the movement.

'Butterfly' is just staffs going opposite directions. Not a move as such, just a quick and easy way to describe all the moves where you spin vertical rotors one clockwise, one anticlockwise.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

3,149 posts

Posted:
ok, making a (little) bit of progress here.

Lightwise's post kind of went over my head, but after Bovril explained it to me I started messing around with trying to force the planes of the staff around.

warning: The following descriptions are REALLY longwinded, vague and rubbish, even by the usual standard of staff move descriptions. And the moves I'm talking about aren't actually technically impressive or attractive. So you only really want to read this if you, like me, are really really bored at work. Or if you really want to know a fairly sneaky and fluid way to change the rotational direction of a staff.
In a vain attempt to make sense i'm going to talk about x, y and z axis (axi? axises?) to describe which plane the staff is spinning in. The way i'm defining it:
the X axis is the plane in which you start spinning the staff (vertically).
Spinning in the Z axis is spinning horizontally.
Spinning in the Y axis is spinning vertically at 90 degrees to the X axis (the plane we've chosen as normal).
So usually you'd only spin in the X and maybe the Z axis, as forcing the staff into different planes isn't very pretty.

ANYWAY

Lightwise's move sounds like twisting the plane of the staff 180 degrees from forward rotation to horizontal to backwards. X to Z to X(mirrored). While i was playing with trying to do that i ended up doing pretty much the same but totally in vertical planes. X to Y to X(mirrored)

Starting from spinning forwards figure-of-8 in my left hand (wall plane), I take the staff in front of me to the other side of my body and at the same time shift it 90 degrees clockwise (as viewed from above) into Y axis.
The staff is now spinning backwards in the side plane on my right.
I now bring the staff in front of me, back to the left hand side of my body, at the same time twisting in another 90 degrees clockwise (as viewed from above). This twist is a bit harder than the first. The wrist movement required feels exactly like a shotgun (aka low doublespin).
Then I'm back in the X axis, exactly where I started, but now the staff is spinning backwards instead of forwards.

Hmm, the description took less space than the preamble. Ah never mind, a rambler I was born and a rambler I shall ever be.

Anyway, the reason I like this move is that it whacks the spin direction of the staff right round without the staff stopping or ending up with the axis in another direction. Once you work out the wrist movement, you can really do it at any speed, and the resistance of the staff to the plane change is a lot less than I'd have thought (but I am more used to poi, which change plane for no man).

So now all I need to do is to learn how to do it while spinning a staff in the other hand *whimper*

God has anyone actually read this far? You mad bastard, I'd have given up ages ago.

[ 22. February 2003, 04:30: Message edited by: Simian ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo, I read and understand!!!

forcing the plane is really a matter of timing, the staff has to go slanted at one point, and at that point it shouldent be about to hit you. try this trasition above but without taking the staff across the boddy, just sit in the wall plane and go to horisontal and back. btb pases are nice for plane trasitions and i gennerly find it easier to go into backward horisontal from backward vertical.

2.73pence

Nix?

-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I suk at reading direkshuns, but the transition you speak of mighty Plus, passes underneath your arms (diagonally kinda), and end up horizontal? Are your wrists facing the moon? I can't think of a finger roll that I know to sustain that, hmm..Can you just throw after the pass? mebbe palm spin?? plz explain

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Im not shure what your askin mushashi,

the staff has to hit diagonal at one point, and your wrists go moon-ground-moon etc.

N

-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
what fingers do you hold the staff with?? when going moon-ground-moon..standard thumb grip? seems like going split time once you get into it wouldn't be too hard either, even from btb...

[ 04. March 2003, 09:56: Message edited by: musashii ]

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yup.

-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
having another look at this, its really just a bad turn one way, then back, its ugly dude.

T

sorry, bit disssmissive, didnt mean to, here hava for effort

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggg

all this bloody poi nonclemanture....

Can't make head nor tail of it

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Fish head or fish tail of it?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

3,149 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by +):
having another look at this, its really just a bad turn one way, then back, its ugly dude.
ugly? indeed, but i prefer the term 'Post-Aesthetic'

i pretty much lost interest in that one before i got it with doubles anyhoo. i discovered kicks instead which are prettier and easier. i like kicks

Well, i like kicks most of the time. i don't like kicks when i miss and end up with a badly bruised wobbly ankle.