Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Handles and grips for Staffs

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
There've been several threads on grips and handles for staffs, with some of the work involved seeming as much as it takes to make the staff in the first place.Myself, I prefer not to have a handle or grip in the centre at all, although I do like to wind 3m medical tape along the sides to stop the fuel dribbling as much?Obviously (as usual wink) I'm the odd one out.Can people please list their REASONS for making their handles and how the handles help or accentuate the way you do staff.This way I might start to undertsand what everyone else is into it so much.Peace, love and mungbeans... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
electrical tape. nuff said. my staff has black ends and a black middle - i'm thinking of putting flourescent/dayglo/blacklight tape on the ends for the clubs tho...the main reasons i use black tape...1. i have a plexiglass clear red staff... black looks good with red, and on a clear staff is very easy to see2. Anything too thick (ie. cloth, rubber grip tape, handles) is heavy, and though it may help spin, it can cause wind resistance and be a bit more awkward for me3. In ninjitsu i only used tape staves so i'm used to them...4. your fingers slide on the grip easier5. Having dark colored ends make your staff look faster------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~[This message has been edited by Psylentz (edited 19 December 2001).]

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmm, dark ends make it look like it's moving faster? Then we are doing it all wrong with bright yellow flames aren't we? winkI agree with the comment on making the grip too wide, the bigger the handle, the less comfortable I feel. Although this is using other's staffs and the Pure Flame 3 piece.Any other comments guys???------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Mr Charles,I put thinly padded handles on all the staffs I make for a few reasons, probably the biggest of which is that most of the people in our group do a fair bit of throwing whilst we're staffing. This padding helps soften the shock to your hands when catching high throws with heavy (ie multi-wicked) staffs. It also helps to give an area to aim for when catching and helps centre your grip on the staff easily for when you resume spinning.I also like the grip a handle gives when spinning fast, especially if there is fuel around. A handle absorbes any fuel on the staff and stops it getting too slippery.Apart from that ... I just always have used staffs with handles, so I'd be lost without them.Ðraevonof Incendiumwww.incendium.org

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I put grips on my wooden staffs because the wood was so worn that it had become slippery.

Meh

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
funny charles... i don't play with fire yet, and on a brightly colored staff dark ends look good hmph : tongueout::

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Upsetting folks again Charles?

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sorry Pyslentz, the wink behind the comment meant to mean I was joking, not being serious (Gee C@ntus, make everyone think I'm even more of a mosnter than I actually tanm... wink)A large part of my performance is based on speed so its good to know that dark or black ends help this to look even better.What would happen if you had dark ends which were tipped with a bright colour? (Such as fire on the very tips but black soot covered aluminium right next to it).Would this look better than just fire and shiny aluminium?And Draevon, i'm caught in a bit of a conundrum, as I do a lot of high throws and sometimes do hurt my hands catching.But I absolutely love deliberately putting fuel on the center of the staff (usually with burnoffs) so that my palm spins slide around really fast and keep spinning for ages.Probably the biggest reason I've resisted handles is they all seem to make the staff roll of my handsduring palmspins instead of sliding around with out rolling...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I find it rather odd that every one sounds so adament about the grip they use when it all comes down to personal preferance anyway. I'm actually kind of suprised that more people aren't just experementing with what ever happens to be around, or maybe it's just that those people don't respond to these threads. wink Anyway,All I have on my staff now is a peice of duct tape marking the center, and small wraps close to the ends to keep my hands from sliding into the wick during some of my more technical tricks. But that is really all I need at the moment since it about two degrees here and I have to spin in gloves to keep my fingers from falling off. Damn metal staff.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 20 December 2001).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Everyone Mr Puppy? Odd choice of words........ Maybe those people are posting but you're not reading right.Just experiment?I get the strangest feeling that some people said that from the start.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Quite possibly.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
On all three counts.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sick Puppy, now I'm scared, I'm supposed to be the odd one out and you have exactly the same grip/tape near the wicks setup as I do....obeeeedooobeeeeobeeeedoobeeoooooooo!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Oh common you got a fire staff why not make the grip flame too. grin Gotta have lots of exp with trailing befor you can attempt this good luck.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I use padded handles (tennis racket grip tape) to (as mr Draevon has already pointed out) absorb the impact of throws.Josh

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Mr Charles,Yes ... that is quite a pickle you have been presented with. Whilst the absorbing impact effect of padded handles is quite handy, it certainly would effect your ability to perform palm spins. I've never really done palm spins mainly for this reason.Do you do any sort of palm spins with your tennis racquet grip Mr Josh?Ðraevonof Incendiumwww.incendium.org

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Miss Cassandra , the staff newbie, walks in and bashfully waves at everyone smileMr Charles, what is medical tape ? ... currently trying to build my fire staff and not quite pleased, however, bowing at Mr Draevon for the GREAT info on his website smileshine on Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Another staff newbie speaks:I've a 3 peice staff (not the pure flame from the shop, but similar). After a while I put on a hockey stick handle grip on it (longer than tennis racquet stuff) because I was more comfortable to hold, gentler doing throws, and in winter cold metal is cold metal and I want little to do with it! The handle is now quite thick but as I have quite large hands this doesn't bother me much.However on Tuesday I borrowed some lass' very thin but long staff (solid metal pole about half an inch thick) with electrical tape for handles. I actually had more fun than with my staff because it was light enough to throw and catch nicely, and so thin that I could easily twirl it through my fingers like a very long pen.So now I think I may get a thin solid staff, add a couple of layers electrical tape (or if it exists really thin tennis handle grip) for grip and cushioning.

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
i'm using tennis raquet grip on metal because, well, metal is cold! smile i'm working on getting deerskin, though.i prefer grip to bare staff because it marks center, as well as setting in my head where to hold it. i'm used to regular quarterstaff, where i use the whole staff for handholds. it'd be bad to grab the wick out of habit. grin other than that, grip helps me from ripping skin on bad botches...soft surface. friction burns stink.------------------"life begins between the night and the light."

life begins between the night and the light.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Dom, yes that is another reason I had forgotten to mention. The handles on a lot of 3 piece staffs (and other one piece staffs) I find to be quite restricting because of their size.The thinner the better for fingerspins and if the whole length is uniformly wide, then body rolls and wraps can be pushed much further.But it still hurts when you catch it tongueTeine, for an object as thin as a staff, I think you are more liekly to get friction burns off a soft handle than a bare handle, but even then, I can't even think of a move that will last long enough and slide fast enough through hands to give a friction burn (no rude jokes people!!!).Does that make sense or am I completely wrong?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 21 December 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hello mr and mrs online comunity,I recon leather would be the one, but I havent tried it, should absorb impacts and fueal, be grippy but also slide around when you want (specially if its shiny side out).Monsoir Charles, I got callouses between thumb and hand from stick, friction burns no prob.Love,N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
hmmm...well i don't have a staff but i am in the process of deciding what kind of wrapping tape to use on my fan rods. for me the biggest thing is that i hate is how my hands feel after handling steel for any length of time and i want a better surface for a variety of gripping styles. right now i am opting for leather bicycle tape or something similiar to that.

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
things i've tried recently (in the past week)black bandanas knotted in patterns on the endsblack tapeflourescent tape for blacklightsscrewing eyerings into the ends of my staff and hooking up photons - haven't done this yet, haven't bought my photons, but i got everything else rearing to go...but grip, i still just like electrical tape, it's slippery enough to slide and not thick enough to hinder anything... i've tried cushioned ones... just don't like them...------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

J4Playmember
24 posts

Posted:
i use clear rubber tubing which I heat up in hot water and then slide over my aluminium staves. When it cools it stays put. Very easy. This handle is good cos it provides grip without being to grippy or bulky. It is also nice and cushy so if you mess up a catch off a big throw you won't be penalised too harshly! Also, these handles are very slippery when wet so palm spins shouldn't be a prob.The rubber tubing is cheap (cost me AU$2 for two handles worth of tube). It doesn't easily get dirty, and since it is clear, I was thinking of painting some sort of design on the aluminium, and then pulling the rubber handle over it. Or you could just paint it a plain colour to act as a marker for centre.What more could you ask for?Cheers. J4play.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My glowstaffs don't have handles yet. I may not bother. They seem to be fine without.

Meh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
dreavon, in response to palm spins with tennis racket handles. i have the same kind of handle grip and do a lot of palm spinning, back spins, shoulder spins, leg spins anything. i find that it actually helps to keep the staff "stuck" in one single area. just thought i would field that one for you josh...

anyone got a light?

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
well, by handles i thought you meant a little sticky outy bit like a door handle or a cupboard handle onto wich you hold withone hand and wave about making your staff do circles. my mistake.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
All these posts about staff grips and you missed out the most obvious and the best. I use self amalgamating tape. This stuff is really good as it provides a none slippery grip, a small amount of cushioning and also once applied it bonds to become one piece so that you cannot peel it off again you have to cut it away. So therefore you do not get the wear and tear associated with using other grips.------------------'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience'

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
it's not much for slipping - but i tried covering a clear (not tinted like mine) plexiglass staff in mesh nylon - it looks like a big scrawny fishnet stocking covered leg, but it grips REALLY nice - just get the type that doesn't rip easy

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Just making some new staffs at the minute including a big 'un to start learning some contact. I'm intending using tennis racket type grip for a handle cause I find it really nice and comfy. Would such a grip be ok for contact? Is there something better to use? I'm not sure what kind on gripiness is good / necessary for contact. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I use tennis racket grip at the moment. Actually my staff has two layers of tennis racket grip on it cause I wanted a really REALLY wide staff for contact work. The tennis rackter grip that you need to stretch a little as you put it on (Don't know what this is called) is my favorite. I pick it up at Walmart.

Self amalgamating tape... Interesting... I'll have to evaluate this, as I may be redoing the handle on my staff soon.

Page: