Forums > Technical Discussion > What do you require to know before being hired

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Depends on the type of performing, for fire, I insist on checking out the venue first, and look for possible problems, such as eating places nearby, direction of foot-traffic and lots of other things that are too varied and frequent to ask a client.I've found that asking what the event is for and what sort of message they would like conveyed makes a big difference in being rehired.And ensuring there is a non-public-toilets place to get changed and prep. There's nothing more disheartening to kids to see the performer getting changed in the bathroom...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Before accepting a performance I need to know date, time, venue, and what it is for (like my show on Sat is for a Winter Fest for example), and how much I will be getting paid.There are things I make sure they know when concidering me as well....like my insurance amount, my performance history (a brief resume), that I have performed successfully for even young children. General stuff that agents especially seem to overlook.That is before I accept. Once I accept then I need permit info (it is in my contract that the venue supplies the permit, not I), dressing room, theme/costume needs, food/water availability, hotel/travel accomodations, show schedule including break times, music (or not), lighting show (or not), fire (or not), staging info (size, mechanical rigging, etc) or for wandering things the area I am allowed to perform in, age range of perspective crowd and all pertinent contact info. It seems like alot but it really isn't. My big thing is theme, so that I know I have an appropriate costume. (Unlike some performers, who have set costumes and persona's, I tend to go with whatever a potential client wants, within reason! wink)I am going through my paperwork tonite, if I think of anything more I will let you know.Much love......------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
In light of recent events...Probably won't get added to your list - but I think event organisers should require performers to have first aid certificates (e.g. one per person). At the very least anyway... I can't think of anything to add to Charles's and Pele's inputs so I'll leave it at that.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Splat...in light of recent events? Care to elaborate? confusedI agree that it is important but am confused on what you mean by recent events...did I miss something over the holidays? And I am confused about, do you mean a certificate on one person in a group (like one person at a show has to have it) or one form of first aide certification for every person in the group? Most everyone on the Pyromorph crew has been trained in first aide...except the new girl and I think PWB. But I have to say that the Red Cross First Aide classes are getting damn expensive for all of us to have them. Those of us that do have certs actually got them for other jobs as well, making them more reasonable.Anyway, that brings up a good point...Charles mentioned security but for street faires and big public events (like Ren Faires) I like to know where the first aide tent/area is. Not just for me but for who knows what that happens at these things. At my last Ren Faire I told the first aide crew what I do and everything, just so that they could be prepared in case. It is a good thing to know but I usually reserve this for after I get the account (don't want to scare people prematurely) and like I said, for big events, not private parties.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 08 January 2002).]

Pele

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
agree with everything so far.one of the most important things for us is knowing the demographic/sub culture of the audience. are the gonna be families and easily impressed with basic stuff, or is it gonna be an audience full of people who see fire performances at every party they're at? is it a young persons thing, therefore us playing up the sexuality of it, or a family thing therefore playing up the mystery of it.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Flash...I've often founf that the demographics given to me tend to match the demographics they WANT on the day, and sometimes have nothing to do who is actually there. I've found it tends to be better to trust my own judgement, although i get the feeling you may have different costumes for different angles.If thats the case, I'll just shut up wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have different costumes for different angles, which is why you ask for the theme or the age range expected. Any sexy costume can be down played in a pinch. Reading the audience and adjusting accordingly is a necessity. I am getting to the point where nightclubs are more playful and everything else is a wing it kind-of thing. But in the end....I agree with Charles. A demographic is more of a target audience, not an actual account.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hmmmm - I guess i should clarify.most of the performances we do are sub-culture specific.... like at doofs (audience consists of off-their-head neo hippies who have all seen firedancing a hundred times). Dangerboy and I are doing a BDSM show tomorrow night, again very sub-culture specific.But, for the general performances, like at Christmas parties etc I guess we wear more generic costumes (unless party is themed) and emphasise whatever angles are appropriate at the time.[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 10 January 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Jeez Flash, sounds like you guys have a bit more in your repoitre than i do...(once again, I'll just shutup now...)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think it's sort of been touched upon but as fireperformers are vulnerable I thought it couldn't hurt to mention again:It's important to figure out HOW you are getting paid. Especially in sketch night-club type settings where there are multiple people in charge of money and accounts and cash registers and at 5 in the morning everyone really just wants to go home.It's probably more important for semi-profesionals who aren't working at regular venues.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC..I am wondering what a professional is in your eyes. I don't work at regular venues at all. I am forever at different places.Does that mean I don't count as professional frownI think you brought up a good point and wish to add this bit of advice. Don't ask the person how you are getting paid. Tell them how you are getting paid.I only accept bank or business checks (formal ones), cash or money orders. No personal checks at all, no credit.It is written on my promo information.Depending on who is doing the paying.....a deposit of 50% upfront, the rest after show.If it is a re-occurring (like a faire) event then every week if not otherwise agreed upon.Some are immediately after I am done performing, and I mean I walk off the stage and the check is being handed to me. There are exceptions but those are people I know. I make sure that it is all done by contract, even an informal one will usually hold up in court, but more especially with the promoters/agents/ent. directors I am not familiar with. That is a big thing because then they have to pay you (even though I know a couple of you will fight this tooth and nail). Contracts that state the amount also help come tax season.And for those clubs that say "We will pay you cash.", they have to pay in advance. I show up, they pay me, I perform. Sometimes you have to be a hardass about this, but it is worth it.So I agree, add to the list: What *you* will accept as payment and when the payment will be made.And for checks, a word of advice...check the name, the date, everything before you leave with it. There was a ent. manager on circuit who went by Billy but his account was under William. He would sign his checks Billy, no one questioned it cause that is how he was known as, but the checks wouldn't clear because it wasn't the name on the account. Some of these people can be sneaky!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Everything sounds good. Here's my $0.02:Will there be music at the venue? Will there be something to play a CD on? It's not much extra work to bring a handful of CDs and a jam box, but it's good to know. I've done backyard parties where they had nothing, other parties where they had a PA system.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We are a very demanding lot, aren't we?So, I just re-read through Malcolm's original intent. "To help event organizers find suitable performers quickly."Hmmmmm...so technically the list of what I want should be smallish to make it more appealing right? And I have been thinking about what I would skim off the top from our list and what I would include. I am still thinking (damn libra's...can't ever make up their minds! wink).However, when you say quickly Malcolm, how quick do you mean? I require a minimum of a week's notice for any gig (shhhh, don't tell the agents that, I told them a couple of weeks so that I have a safety net.), but prefer more prep time. I *could* perform tomorrow if the price were right on a call that came in tonight, at least my base show for an unthemed event since then it'd be more like dress practice anyway. There is a big difference between an actual staged show and a show up and pay me to fire it up gig, if that makes sense.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Malcolm,Correct me if I am wrong.. but you are in effect planning on becoming an entertainment agent? For fire performers etc?

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
When I said "regular venues" I meant "venues regularly"... I seriously regret the error. When I said "professionals" I meant "those that do it as a profession". When I said "semi-professional" I meant "whatever the heck vague definition of what I do that won't get me flamed."I do seriously doubt that you are a professional fire performer as every time you have a venue near me it "mysteriously" disappears. It's easy enough to doctor photos to make you look like you have an audience behind you or are standing on a fire truck, etc... tongueI do think my point on getting paid was understood though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey! It did not disappear...Iwas ganna get ripped off!And that was a low blow about the docotoring photo's thing...you know I hate when people accuse me of that! Especially since I have no idea how to do it and if I did I would put my head on Catherine Zeta-Jones' body! tongue------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I don't know about elsewhere in the world but here you aren't allowed to use fire unless everything in the venue, including decor, is at least grade 2 fire resistant. It will invalidate both yours and the venue's insurance (I think...)Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'd put my head on Catherine Zeta Jone's body too, but in a diff (oops, i didn't say that!!)Splat, I think Malcolm's post above yours explains what malcolm is trying to do...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
been lurking for awhile now. Life's been busy. Just wanted to drop a line and say that this is a REALLY good thread. I, myself, have learned a few things from it! good job guys.PLURRÇRÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... sorry I didn't understand the meaning originally.. but it did sound an awful lot to me that it was like what agents do with organisers etc...