Forums > Technical Discussion > Super Whizzing noise from the Pure Flame Staff...

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! Just got my Pure Flame 3-piece staff from Malcolm and took it to the Auckland Firenight last night in Victoria Park.The weight distribution is a little different to what I'm used to and the clamps at the end of the handle felt strange for the first few burns.But but but, there is this cool extra whizzing noise that it makes when you spin it fast. Like the whine of a supercharged engine in addition to the whoosh of the flames!I spun out the flames and then spun it fast again and couldn't hear the the extra noise, but relit and it was back. Maybe the clamps, that have deep ribs for better grip, are picking up the noise of the flames and distorting it. It sounds like the staff is going twice as fast as when i use my normal aluminium ones.Has anyone else noticed this? Or has any other equipment either by accident or design that makes extra noise when it is spinning...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Well, they weren't really poi, but at the last moon fest they had lengths of flexible pipe that they were spinning around. They make some pretty nice tunes when you vary thje speed that theyre spinning at. Some people were using them like poi as well.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Were they the light, flexible ribbed things?I seem to remember playing around with them when i was really young, they made a cool, very loud noise but tended to flop around unless you spun them quite hard...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
My staff is made of metal and has holes in it so you can adjust the length. When I spin it it makes this eerie whistling sound (like a mad flute player or something), especially in the wind.I kinda like it, though grinPrincess

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
the "long white tube things" are called Harmonic Whirlies - they're made by a musician called Sarah Hopkins who lives here in Shorncliffe... They are tuned to concert pitch so that you can play them with other instruments and the faster you whirl them the higher the note up the harmonic series...Or you can just use them like poi and make random "music" but they strobe really well under certain types of light (like the ones at moon fest)...If you wanted to see more about them she has a page at www.harmonicwhirlies.com It's not fire, but it's fun being inside a kind of vortex of sound...(By the way Charles, these ones are really easy to spin - maybe they're made from a different kind of plastic to the ones you've seen...?)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been tempted by those tempted by those harmonic whirly things cool. I read about them somewhere.... was it in the back of your book, Bec? I'll have to wait to the new year now tho before buying any new toys unfortunately frown ------------------C@ntus

Meh