specialtyledscomBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
If I wanted to make a ( 3w RGB LED module ) -blink- about 60 times per second, what driver would allow me to do that in unison with a 3.7 volt 1000mAh battery (DC)? These LEDs are -current driven- at 350ma, which means that I have the drivers which run them at 350ma, but I just want them to blink fast.

I am a DIY'er and would love to be able to mod this myself so these LEDs will blink fast. Cheap solution?

These are what I have:

3W RGB LEDs

Non-Https Image Link

Quality AMC7135 350mA Regulated Circuit Board for DIY Flashlights 20-Pack

Non-Https Image Link

Help? Thoughts? Ideas?

- Custom Website Development - Professional and Highly Creative Solutions. Programming/Custom Scripting/Custom Graphical Design for all.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Have you tried just sticking a small (powerful) resistor inline with a power transistor? You can then switch that from a lower power controller like a PIC or a simple 555 timer based circuit.

Hyperlights do something like this (in a more sophisticated way)...

Cake or Death?

specialtyledscomBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hi HyperLight,

Thanks for your response.

I have checked into the 555 timer but the maximum output allowed for this unit is 200ma where as I need 350ma for maximum brightness.

I think I'm thinking of this in a different way than you. Could you explain a little more please? I'm not sure how the power transistor would work to oscillate the frequency and make the LED blink from an inline resistor fed to the power transistor. I am confused on how this would work. I've never used power transistors.

- Custom Website Development - Professional and Highly Creative Solutions. Programming/Custom Scripting/Custom Graphical Design for all.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The 555 timer does the blinking.

The power transistor allows your 555 timer to switch on/off current to the resistor / LED.

Have a look at the section entitled "Using a transistor as a switch" here: https://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm

Cake or Death?