Forums > Introductions > from the Land of Bombay!

Login/Join to Participate

ginkgogirlSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Hallo Lovely PoiPeople!

Another newbie succumbs to the Joy of Poi =) A brief bio on me:

LIVE: in the mad, wonderful city of Bombay, India, having moved back here about 2 months ago after spending almost 10yrs in the Ithaca (upstate NY, USA).

LOVE: dancing, deserts, dreaming, flying, twirling, smiling; the ocean, glowing shiny lights, gadgets that go 'bleep', science museums; energy, curiosity, daring, my iPod

LEARN: I did a bachelor's degree in biology, almost finished a master's degree in communication but abandoned it in favor of Life the Best Teacher. Packed my bags and walked away; now I'm working for a small startup wine company in Bombay (India makes *wine*??) while i save up money to get a paragliding license, go scuba diving again, and set up a small electronics/sculpture studio where i can have Fun with Lights, Wire, and Fire.

I saw poi firetwirling for the first time in my life last September (waaay overdue), at Burningman - www.burningman.com - in Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA. It totally blew my mind, and so 6 months later I went straight to the source - New Zealand - to acquire my first set of poi - beautiful Photon Poi that light up blue, red, and green - and have since experienced Instant Love. Wow.

So I've had them for a few weeks now, and have nobody else to twirl with/learn from as they're completely unheard of here in India as such (although *I* seem to have gotten lots of other people interested now, which is awesome!). I've been learning pretty much exclusively from the HoP online lessons, and thus far I can do:

Corkscrew
Butterfly / Giant Butterfly
Overhead butterfly (whacking myself in the head after the 1st couple passes, tho)
Weave (2bt)
Weave (3bt - just got this one yesterday, very excited!)
Chasing the Sun
Walking/Changing direction
Low wave

Now I want to learn more new moves, but also work on perfecting and choreographing the moves that I know already.

'Nuff babbling for the moment. I'm so thankful that HoP exists - I'm looking forward to meeting and sharing with other Poi-ers in cyberspace.

Peace, y'all, and happy twirling,

-Ginkgogirl

Eat. F*ck. Twirl.

"Think outside the box"?? WHAT box??!!

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
hello, welcome !!!!!

you have a nice record of places that you've been smile
a lot of people I know have encountered poi for the first time in india, maybe just look for some hippie travellers and ask them?
pink... is gonna love the color of the cake in your avatar ubblol
don't mind me if I come to visit you next winter (it's my next travel plan).
for more lessons you might wanna check out www.motsplace.com too.
hug

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Welcome smile hug hug

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
Hey hey!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
y0! congratulations, because i anti-hate you!!! heart heart heart

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HoP!!!

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Naunastranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hey! Are you still in Bbay? I just got back from Malta where I learnt a little bit but I was looking to continue here but haven't been able to find anyone else!