Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
95949flowrope1

Because I do a lot of throws, I like the more substantial grip that rope offers. Colecord just feels kind of insubstantial when you're using heavy heads and need to grip the cord as often as the handle. So I decided to find a way to get my flowlights onto rope cords.

Getting the rope into the crystal cases was easy. Cut off the smaller loop at the closed end of the case, and drill in a hole big enough for the rope (in this case, 5'16"). The hard part was getting it to stay in. The approach I went with was to use a small piece of colecord to act as a plug, and to simultaneously whip the end (singeing the rope to melt the end tends to make a hard, wider part that's hard to push through the hole in the crystal case). The colecord is wrapped around just once, and sewn into the rope.

This leaves the open ends of the crystal cases facing out, so I've used twist ties to keep the lights snugly in place. I also have some concern that the sewing on the colecord plugs may be too close to the end of the rope, and may gradually simply work its way out, so I'll have to see how it holds up in the long term. So far I'm liking it better than the couple of other solutions I've seen/tried.

EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1282851154)
EDIT_REASON: forgot to mention size of rope

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I don't get why you need to grip the cord when doing throws, but those look sweet.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
A rigid object whipping into my hand can just bounce off, and I have this problem even more with the flowlight handles, so I prefer to catch just above the counterweight. It also helps with wibbles. And I just plain prefer the feel when wrapping up.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
smile

Jered_Spins_PoiWolf
22 posts

Posted:
they look pretty legit.

OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I personally go with the little weight as possible in the chain/cord. But I definitely like how those look.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the weight of the cord is not quite ideal, but I need a balance between low weight on the cord, and the chunkiness. It does take some recalibration on the part of my throws since the handles are about half as heavy as the heads, so they turn a lot slower. But the cord is not seriously affecting my stalls and such in the way that heavy chains tend to.