Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > split time buttefly crossers

Login/Join to Participate

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I just saw the new mel tech poi video (HOLY censored) but there's a subset of moves that he does that seem to be using split time butterfly crossers. tutorial please?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Actually I'd be interested in this, too. I can do a split-time Mexican wave, but other split-opposite reels are stumping me.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, you can do a crosser extension hybrid from it. I saw Mel do some really crazy things things with it that I can't even describe though.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I do a hybrid crosser extension from together-opposite. Doing it from split time wouldn't make sense to me unless you were doing four petal diamond mode antispins (I do three petals on account of my poi length).

2,280 posts

Posted:
I normally do that with my poi shortened so yes I do 4 petals tongue2

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Even with four petals, I usually see it done in box mode, which still works out better from together-time. You're weird, is what I guess I'm saying.

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
It makes a different if you start doing in together-time or split time

if you start in split-time you can switch to together-time at the top, but if you start with together time you would switch into split-time at the top. And then you can't switch as good as possible into other tricks...

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Split time opp crossers are some of the many variations of crossers you can do. There is actually a sort of crosser weave you can do when constantly switching which arm is on top and this 'weave' can be done either in extension or in CAP.

A brief description of the trick: from a split time butterfly take your right poi over your left shoulder, at the same time as you do this make an extension with your left poi. Exactly when your left poi reaches the top take your right poi and go under your left shoulder. At this point the left poi should be going over your right shoulder so then do the extension this time with your right poi and when this reaches the top take your left poi under your right shoulder and then just repeat all the steps.

It's really hard to see because of the video quality and the background fire and my poi are almost running out, but here I'm doing the CAP version from 3:17 to 3:28.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
As a base to learn from try doing a split-opp huggy crosser with 3 beats: 2 in front 1 behind shoulder.

+Alien Jon

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well it seems than now when I do it, since I learned to do it from penduluming out of a crosser extension, I do it on box mode. But I need to look some more about which petal goes behind my back because now I'm curious.

270 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Lye (1281769090)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
The hybrid crosser extension is a bit off topic, though. I still have no idea how to do a split time butterfly crosser, which is the topic of the original post.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenThe hybrid crosser extension is a bit off topic, though. I still have no idea how to do a split time butterfly crosser, which is the topic of the original post.

To reiterate:
As a base to learn from, try doing a split-opp huggy crosser with 3 beats: each hand does 2 in front 1 behind the shoulder.

+Alien Jon

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Ah, sorry Jon, in the original context I misread your post as "start doing move x from a split-op crosser [which you already know how to do]", making it either question begging or ruling out split-op crossers as a value of x.

Reading it now with less befuddled eyes, I will give that a shot. Thanks!

270 posts

Posted:
Jon do you mean that like they're offset like first beat one is in front one is in back and then they're both in front and then the other is in back or they're at the same time? I'm going to have to work on this for all of burning man.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i accidentally did the split time butterfly crosser the other day because i moved my hands at a different timing i learned it accidentally i will try to break it down more

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

270 posts

Posted:
I basically need someone who knows to tell me if I'm doing it right etc. First though I need to heal.