Forums > Technical Discussion > Legal Info regarding materials

Login/Join to Participate

Scathe FleshWhen there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
6 posts

Posted:
I am a fire performer in the Jacksonville, FL area. We are currently working on a permitting system for fire art performance on public property. I have corresponded with the Fire Chiefs of the municipal area, and they are very responsive. However, their permitting system requires that we have insurance (check), safety procedures/fire assistance/crowd control (check), and a list of materials/tools/toys that we use stating, from a certified organization that they are to be used only with fire performance (not checked). I don't even know of an association on this continent that certifies fire performance equipment, and we make our own with safety standards in mind.
If anyone who has been through this same situation with their county/city and knows a way I can get over this small obstacle, I and my fellow performers would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the responses.

"And in this part of the world that is now dark, I must hunt the thing that lives on tears."
-T.S. Elliot

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Perhaps a possible approach (if such an organisation does not exist) would be to explain to the Fire Chiefs that such an organisation does not exist and that you could bring all equipment planned on being used for that permit and get the Chief to inspect and check its suitability safety etc. It will show that the fire community is promoting safety amongst its members and show that it has the audiences well being in mind as well.

dont know if it will work but it is worth a try

good luck happy spinning

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Scathe FleshWhen there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
6 posts

Posted:
Very true. This is a part of Duval county's permitting system, though. My peers and myself have undergone a massive amount of brainstorming as of late.
I'm sure that we can come up with something, one of which is the list of materials used by HoP. I'm sure that would be provided upon request.

-Scathe

"And in this part of the world that is now dark, I must hunt the thing that lives on tears."
-T.S. Elliot