Forums > Videos > What is this move??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
Can someone please post/link a tutorial on this crosser like move that petey does starting just before 4:20. It looks sick, but i am unable to break it down. Thank you.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
actually it just looks like an exaggerated movement on a same direction crosser

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
To me it looks like he is doing a crosser. but he keeps his hands together and arms out and isolates the poi around his arms! REALLY DOPE!

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Holy bejeezus I can't even think of what it is.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
well i know it is deffinately not a crosser. one of his poi actually crosses over and goes behind his back on the opposite side, like a 2bt crosser or something. but the other one as far as i can tell does not. it would be helpful if they were different colors. Ive seen it one other time, in this vid:

start at 50 sec.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I really want to learn that, it looks so, so... *drool*

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
tell me about it. ive been working on it and closest i can figure is its like a regular crosser, but non dominant hand is under the opposing armpit. work with that and work your dominant hand under the opposing armpit so both are under pits. then work your hands out of the pits, toward the center of your chest so the tethers are under your pits. on the 'rising side' your elbow will be in the way so you gotta shift your arms to the 'decending side' to get that elbow out of the way. beyond that im dont get it. I can see a similarity that the poi on the rising side seems to be the only one that crosses to the other side. seemingly cuz it wont work if the other one does too.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah but hpw do you get both hands under your pits while spinning?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Pete and Yoshiky are doing two different moves, I'm pretty sure. Yoshiky is doing a full straight jacket crosser, which is what happens if you do a crosser from an inverted weave (the kind with a barrel roll crossing the body). Pete is doing what I'm pretty sure is a crosser-esque hybrid without inverting. His hands stay together, and seem to go iso vs. extension when they go behind his back. I'll watch it a few more times and correct this if I'm wrong, but i think it's a hybrid crossery thing.

I should add that he switches between going over and under his shoulder, which makes it look a lot like a straightjacket.

And Derek has a tutorial on it as a hybrid crosser. Pete just overlaps his arms less and isolates it more cleanly.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1276585136)

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure I have this move down after jiggying with it a bit. I obviously don't have it as clean as Petey yet, but I know how it works. It's actually not a crosser, like David said. He just does one beat of the regular split-same crosser in order to enter the actual move, which makes it look more complicated than it is. As you can see when he does the actual move, the left poi only goes back under the left arm and the right poi only goes back over the right arm. So it's more related to reels than anything, I guess. The body movement just makes it look like a crosser, but it isn't, as the arms are never actually crossed.
I could try to do a video tutorial on it if there's a demand, but my best camera atm is my webcam smirk .. It's pretty decent for a webcam though.

And as Sister Eleven said, the move Yoshiky is doing is completely different.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I agree about the move isn't a crosser. Good catch on which hand goes under which arm. I'd missed that; I believe Rastaxel does something similar in his 'poi in the park' video, come to think of it. It's an interesting move, sorta fountainish, sorta reelish, hybridy look without being a hybrid...

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
do we have a tut on the airwrap plane changery thing? ive only managed to smash myself in the chest with it lately

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

2,280 posts

Posted:
How bout a tutorial to get in and out of having both hands under your armpits?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
SoD: I'll record one if I can ever get the "out" part tongue2

Paddington: The plane change is something air wraps do by themselves. If you do an air wrap while your poi are 90 degrees apart angled away from you, they will come out roughly 90 degrees apart angled in towards you. G and Pete are just good at using the effect deliberately. And yeah, smacking yourself in the chest is easy with them. Though G's transition to floor plane with an air wrap is a little bit trickier (I think it consists of "messing up" the wrap).

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
SoD. Getting in and out of your armpits is actually easy. from a wall plane forward 3bt weave, on your left side if you spin like me. when you go to cross over with your left, leave you right hand under your left armpit as if you were doing an archer.

As the left crosses over, bring it immediately under your right armpit. Simple as that.

Getting out is as easy as just get out.

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
That move is easy to understand if you know what to look for. First of all it starts with snakes then goes into one crosser beat and immediately goes into a windmill. It's not your regular windmill however, for this version you have to move the center of rotation from above your head into the middle of your chest by keeping you hands together and popping your elbows to the side while maintaining a crosser kind of motion with your body.

Some tips if you're having trouble: keep hands together right in the middle of your chest, resist the urge to move them behind your shoulder. Instead use your whole body to get out of the way of the poi.

Some good alternate tricks to do to help you out with the motion is to do the regular crosser with your hands crossed beside your neck. Also related is the extension-isolation hybrid fountain, since you also have to keep your hands together all the time.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
DP: Yeah, that's easy, what some people I know call a half straightjacket. Yoshiky's is a much trickier move, though.

I think part of the reason it looks like Pete's is that you can't put your arms very far across your body with a full straightjacket. Like Pete's funky reel, your hands are very close together.

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
ok so i think i got it. it looks like he starts with a crosser but he isnt if you look. his right poi never actually crosses. its doing a shoulder reel. the left poi crosses under the right arm and that is where it gets tricky. he moves just right to allow his left poi to return to its respective side where it swings under his armpit. very tricky but with practice it will work.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Actually I still think that what he starts out from is a crosser. (Well, crossers ARE reels, just with arms crossed. So i agree with you in that respect..). In a split-same crosser, when one poi is behind, the other is in front. And the two alternate. So it takes a total of 2 beats to complete the crosser pattern. Petey just does one beat of the crosser, which is why the right poi never has a chance to cross to his backside before he starts the actual move. So it's like half a crosser, which I in my mind would prefer to still classify as a crosser rather than shoulder reel. But each to their own.

But what you want to want to call the prep-up move is not really what I was getting at. My point is that one CAN enter the move from a crosser and make it look the same, which is all that anyone trying to learn this move needed to know.
In other words, when one is trying to learn this move, it will be useful to break it into 2 parts: a crosser and "the move" (in lack of a better word). One can start by just doing the crosser and practicing the transition into the move. And slowly, if they choose, they can reduce the amount of beats of a crosser that they need to do. Eventually getting it down to just one beat, which is when you'll have the exact same thing that Petey does.

The actual move is pretty close to what leospoi described. One hand is basically doing a shoulder reel on the native side, and the other is doing a hip reel (in this context "hip" just means "under the arm") on its own native side. The only difference is that you bring your hands to your chest and keep them there, while moving your body in a circle accordingly to make the poi go where you want them to go.

EDITED_BY: ReVo (1276732769)
EDIT_REASON: Made myself clearer..

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
....except his left poi alternates between behind right and left...there are two beats on his right side (that go behind the back) and one on the left....we need petey up in this bitch.

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
I just contacted him...hopefully he'll show?

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Oh, I didn't know you were counting the move to start that early, this explains a lot of the confusion. I started observing what was happening a beat after you did.

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
oo lol. yea i started from the both poi were behind him. if you watch his right arm, the poi goes behind his shoulder. when it come in front, the left immediately goes under that arm. when the right poi needs to go back behind him, he leans back and twists to allow a window for the left poi to return to its respective side. it goes immediately behind him, and at the same time the right poi comes back to the front....this is where im getting stuck. (been playing around with it)

the move does not seem to be sustainable after this point. I find that at this moment, when the right poi needs to go behind, the right poi also needs to go behind on the same side...at the same moment....resulting in either a tangle behind the right shoulder, or an obvious censored up. the timing is not sustainable unless the left poi does an extra beat in front to wait for when the right poi comes to the front (the left poi's cross over point).

I hope i explained that right. not saying i GOT it right, lol. but its the closest i can figure so far. I can do it, or what i think it is, but having trouble keeping my hands together...

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
in the basic sense, i see the left poi doing a partial meltdown, and the right poi doing a shoulder reel.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
That's because there's one beat of crosser and three of the funky reel. Though it's very interesting to note that the crosser-to-funky reel transition is essentially a hands together two beat weave. It makes me wonder about possible patterns transitioning through two beat weaves, crossers, and reels with hands together. Pete and Jon should make videos on this.

EDIT: Ack! HoP fooled me into thinking there was only one new post when more stuff had spilled onto another page tongue2
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1276819053)

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
lol. yea actually through the course of the night ive found various variations. like something that looks like a 2bt crosser...but is realy like you said a hands together 2 bt weave, but rather than, as pete does, 2bts on one side and one on the other, 2 beats on each side. and to exit you have to put your left hand on top (like crossing from a 3bt weave) after both btb beats and go into a crosser, clockwise pirouette or windmill. so far they're the only exit ive found from this variation. still working on cleaning it up.

Im still convinced that..censored wats his name? they guy on the great wall...his trick is the same, but ending in said pirouette. how is it different??

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey everyone!

excuse my being fashionably late, but with uni exams on at the moment i wasnt aware this thread was going til now.

firstly, Sister Eleven you are correct, yoshiky and my self are doing different things. i tend to stay away from full straight-jackets.

ok.. so.. what im doing at 4:20 in the airwrap: reloaded video.. ill do my best to describe, failing that, i can stick some video explaination together come next wednesday.

at 4:20 itself, both poi are behind me, then come in front of my body. These are simultaneous snakes.

From there comes a trick I started playing with a while ago. It was heavily influenced by hybrids, and the way hybrids (to me) somewhat feel like a staff spinning with its centre of rotation away from its centroid.

It came about through deciding where I wanted my hands to be, and in which order. You'll be in split time, both poi same directions, anticlockwise.

A step-by-step to the hand placements goes like this:
left hand - right armpit
right hand - right shoulder
left hand - left shoulder
right hand - left armpit

When a given poi is in one of these positions, it will be behind the body and will only pass in front of you to go to its next position on the list.

Start by trying to just get the poi in the positions they should be in, in the right orders. Once youve got that down, concentrate on your isolation to try and get the feeling of a staff rolling around. ish.

When you've got that down, crank out a wicked buzzsaw wink

Hope thats been of some assistance. If I've been vague anywhere, or anything could use further explaination, feel free to let me know. If you'd much prefer a video walkthrough, let me know..

Thanks for watching guys smile

Petey hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
awesome. clarification, lol. really after your explaination i can not only do it and sustain it indeffinately...but found more varitations to play with thank you! I do think you should still put up a tutorial on this site for it..as its likely when this thread dies, your explaination with die with it. live on pineapple pete...live on through a tutorial, lol. truely a new move to me...at least ive never seen it before. much thanks.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
now try it in antispin wink

yeh.. ill get it done soonish.. got more than enough on my plate for the next few days though.

glad to hear that helped.

petey hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Ah, so it sounds like it's something I thought was possible but haven't been able to pull off yet: two out of phase two-petal in-spin flowers, right? Once you ignore the front/btb aspect, that is...

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
ugh. its in the flower family?? o man, i cant even see that. lol. wow. i cant even fathum what it would look like. I have more learning to do.

Page: