Forums > Social Chat > My first time spinning in public

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
OK, last night, me and my friends went to a place called Skateland, which is a rollerblading rink and is pretty much a rave place for people who are too young for clubs. We went there, got out because it was almost time for the current session to end. So we went to Target. I bought a pair of shoelaces (you see where this is going) and some glowsticks which didn't work because the loop wasnt attached to the glowstick, it just slid off with about a pound of force. So we went back, the kind they sold there , however did have the right type of loop, but they were really small. So I got 2, I asked if I could do it, they've never seen it before so they said, "I don't see a problem." So I rollerbladed out there to the middle and started going at it, it was really fun, for about 5 minutes, people cheering. And I learned the there are so many things I can't do on inline skates. And a staff member came up to me and said I have to stop because other people were trying it with with theirs and their string is cheap and would break. And I argued that theirs is so ridiculously hard to break, I tried snapping it, but after all my strength, it just stretched about a foot, so I just bit it off. And they said, no, it would break, I know. And I just thought, "how in hell would it break???" So I went a couple more hours with them hanging by my neck and people coming up to me asking about it. I was overall pissed that I couldn't do it. But that was really fun while I was doing it grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I hate to admit to being thrilled by having an audience, but it's awesome. Last night I was practicing with a new pair of poi (don't say anything)--my new Spirit flowlights with Air handles--and someone actually pulled over as they were driving by and watched me for about five minutes. It's pretty rad knowing people appreciate what you've put a lot of time and passion into.

Congratulations on your public debut, and I hope you get a chance to cut loose in more amenable surroundings some time!

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Public is one of the best places to do it if you want a thrill. But you want to really get a reaction. Try a school dance. When they play sandstorm, daft punk, or anything with a good enough beat, and you start doin it, you oughta get some attention. (warning: not everybody likes it with glowsticks. Tho if you use massive ones, people don't usually complain)

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Oh, to have had poi at prom... I probably would have actually had fun tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I want to get good at glowsticking before prom. And the staff at the school loves me so I could most likely get away with it.

Edit: Where do you get good glowsticks and giant ones cheaply? I went to a party store and it was $2 per glowstick, so I bought none.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1267917050)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Dang $2 a stick sounds flippin CHEAP to me. Maybe it's just where I live but a run of the mill GS costs about $4 at Party City. A 20cm GS costs about $8 at a headshop.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh I was basing it on a website where I can buy them for $1 each, and $1.25 for an ultra. Both are 6" long. Here you all are, it's a small site. But right now it's under maintenance, but you can call his number if you want for an order. https://www.burningpassion.com/