Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Update Time!

Here's an update, as a part of my efforts to be more involved in the community that I've learnt so much from.

I have been spinning poi since 2004, and been enthralled since day one. Poi, and other similar arts, are taking over my life. And I love it.

I work full time in a very technical, but uncreative job. I dream of being able to leave it, and focus on something more creative, and be with real people. I hold myself back because I know I'll be old some day, and want to be in the best position to support myself, family, etc. So for now, I try to do both, and feel held back with both. To put it in a happier way; I love spinning, and work hard so I can afford all those toys and festivals :-)

Name: Danny

Hometown: Kingston upon Thames, UK

Birthday (sign?): 3rd May, Taurus

Sex: Male

Occupation(s): Consultant Engineer

Favourite Food(s): Everything

Favourite Colour(s): Black, Blue, Green

What is the wing speed of an unladen swallow? 11m/s

Toys: Poi, of the homemade variety

Hobbies other than the obvious: They're getting pushed aside by the urge to spin. Squash, football, guitar, art, more...

Education: Masters in Mechanical Engineering

Favourite Book(s): I've been recently introduced to Terry Pratchett, and read 14 of his books since July. Thoughtful and entertaining, brilliance.

Favourite Movie(s):

Godzilla vs. a Star Wars Star Destroyer. Who wins? Why? Mutual destruction. Because it would be fun to watch.

Favourite TV show(s): The one where the screen stays black.

Plans for life in general: (i.e. what you want to do when you grow up) Explore, inspire, discover, share, and support.

Favorite Music Artists/Composers: Joe Satriani, Soilwork, and Infected Mushroom have been favourites for a while. There's currently a big hole in my musical awareness, of music I'm recently wanting to hear. I either need to find new music, or learn to make my own. Maybe both.

Do you think these pants make my butt look too big?

Favorie ice cream flavor(s): Chocolate. Very Chocolate.

Marmite, Vegemite, or Nutella? Marmite. With peanut butter.

EDITED_BY: Danny_ (1237323212)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Try here to meet people....

There are weekly meeting in Auckland. I don't know about them though I'm sure someone in the meet others section will....Good luck smile and welcome to HOP weavesmiley

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
buzz saws arent a problem and easy to learn, dont bother with hyperloops silly moves made by people with too mucht ime on their hands wink

Welcome to HoP bounce bounce2

Would you like some Spaghetti Bolognase and a massage

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey there! welcome to hop smile hope you like it here! oh and hyperloops are nice, dont listen to will tongue

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello, welcome to HOP!!
wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
silly moves made by people with too much time on their hands... sounds like my kinda thing!

cheers for the link to the meet people page... hopefully someone will reply :-)

now i should stop procrastinating and get back to work, humph.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i havent heard the word procrastinating in aaagggeessss, ive forgotten what it means

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Hi Danny. How are you?

I'm Roarfire, but you can call me Roar. wink

Hope you enjoy you stay! hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Hello, Roar!

I'm very good thankyou, and yourself? good, i trust?

now that i've worked out what a buzzsaw is, i can do them :-)

i've now been having fun with 7-beat weaves, btb 5 beat, throwing the poi, among other things...

i now have 2 weeks off - zero responsibility. lots of time for poi! plus, i'm hoping to go travelling around the country a bit... but havne't decided where yet.. hmm..

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hey Danny, lovely to meet you this weekend hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
A long awaited update!

Wow, memories seem so distant of the days when I didn't know what a buzz-saw was, and thought the 7 beat weave was worthwhile...

(But I did find those Auckland spinners, and have very fond memories of evenings with them!)
EDITED_BY: Danny_ (1237323526)

fireelfburner
23 posts

Posted:
i myself have not found time to learn the 7 beat... i almost never use the 5 beat. the buzz saw is great especially when you do some transitions with them =) and hyperloops are a crowd pleaser everyone likes em. welcome to hop =)

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I stear clear of those techy moves and stick to the old favourits that look prettiest myself smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
It's a bit late to steer clear of the techy stuff! But a 7 beat weave is undeniably a bit silly. I'm still not good at hyperloops, 4 years on... and for some reason I can whip-catch better than I can hyperloop.