N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Ok so I got a few things to say- this is the first:The martian and I were spinning in her back yard on saturday and her mom was watching us. So we're on the same page, Laurie's mom is really really outdated. We're pretty confident she's in a mid life crisis.So anyway- we were trying out this neat little doubles move where we wrap our strings on eachothers arms from a forward spin to a reverse spin- its cool, hurts a little but I've gotten off track again.So her mom says, "can I try?" with this child-like glow on her face. Me and laurie look at eachother with the air of "is this for real????"So I give her my strings....sigh. that day will live in infamy. she does this swirly forward horizontal mess, and almost smacks herself in the eye while constantly reminding us she used to jump rope a lot.I haven't laughed that hard in a long time...------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Aw be nice to ol' mom. I've taught all types of people basic moves. You can't just expect her to pick them up and be an expert. And she was right, if you think about it..it _does_ look like fun. Doesn't it?If she's interested, teach her; don't scoff. You'll be a better man (and maybe a better son-in-law someday?) for it.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
No no no, she had no interest in starting anything, she just wanted to be like us, (which is flattering) but she's been on this, be-as-hip-as-the-kids thing for about a year now, hense the midlife crisis grin smile I would be willing to teach her I think, that would be kinda fun.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Thats actually pretty cool. The only thing about trying to teach older persons anything is that they tend not to listen very well.Especially when there is a generation gap. I found that to be very true in martial atrs when i would conduct class on a Sat or something.Anyway...Go Mom. Get her into it. Show her a figure 8and a BF, and then before you know it shell be joining you two, and you wil have to come up with triple person wraps...hmmmmmm. not a bad idea..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
you should contact juggling or show her liquid dancing, i bet that would be a fun to watch her try smile but anyway, i think it's pretty cool, i mean usually its only the little kids who come up to me and express interest, awe, and a wanting to try. most older people tend to either just watch, or just think it's another dumb fad or whatever. i love when ppl want to try, like at the riverfestival cool kids would come up to me and after watching for several minutes ask me some questions (the first always being either "how do you do that" or "it's magnetic isnt it?") and then ask to try. i'd let them plya around for in some cases up to a half an hour (i also brought my sticks, although they would try that one too, but give up faster cuz it's much harder) i mean it does get annoying when you get stupid kids who run around hitting eachother with them or try to steal your money hat... but its just fascinating to see kids with such an eagerness to learn something like that, and i also find that it's usually these kinds of kids who will come up and put money in your hat. perhaps only change, but change adds up, trust me. anyway, kool beanz dude. i wish i had someone else interested in poi or some other form of object manipulation to chill w/redbrotherGod bless