Forums > Social Chat > Heros, Idols, and Being a Performer (long commentary)

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
In the overall performance community I have many people that I look up to.

Guy Laliberte, of Cirque Du Soliel fame.

Penn and Teller, the "magicians"

Blue Man Group, the performance artists

Stomp, musical performance artists

Barb Geary, the interactive actress/director

People like this. In my life I had only ever really worked with one, Barb... and it is always so profound for me to do so.

This past week I was honoured to see (and meet!!!! ) Blue Man Group and Penn and Teller. More over I saw 2 Cirque Du Soliel shows which came with revelations for me.

I could say loads on all the shows I saw (nearly 20 in all) but I want to stick with Cirque Du Soliel.... "O" was really ingenius. The fusion of water with their artistic presentations and "circus" skills was very neat.
Mystere sucked rocks. I have seen the original Mystere and this was not it. It was more of an event that showed off what the theater could do and not what the artists could do. I would have been embarrassed to be in that show...AND, while claiming to maintain the shows original integrity in the program, it turned around and really Vegas-ized it...literally, talking about a bird rising up from the Nevada desert. I know damn well that is not what Mystere was about.... but anyway, not the point.

The point of this thread focusses more on "O", and in fact, more the fire performers in "O". There was a "poi" spinner (actually it was two feet of kevlar lengths with handles used as poi, nothing new to us here) and there was one (not two as promoted) Polynesian Fire Knife spinner.
And both messed up, pretty big. The poi man tangled in basic wraps..twice, the fire knife spinner lost his grip and launched it across the stage. I understand that accidents happen to us all however, 3 big ones in less than 5 minutes. If I were to do that, I would be lamb basted, but because it was artfully done in an interesting costume with great music, an astounding back drop and the Cirque Du Soleil name on it, it was all okay with the audience. (and yes, all the mess-ups were evident)
What I was really intrigued by is that neither one of them did a move that was not on the beginning level lessons of this site. Seriously. AND, neither one really danced or moved alot with it. The Fire Knife guy had a great expression, but bounced more than moved. The spinner kind of shifted and lunged more than danced, though he did pirohuette with a weave. The audience cheered and gasped, which is what got me the most.

I realized that Cirque Du Soleil relies on the artistry of the costumes and presentation to really masque the elementary level of many of the skills performed (not all, as I do not know all these arts to make the comparison). But then they tout themselves and being better than the other artistic circus presentations out there, and really, they just have more longevity and a bigger budget. It was a cold reality for me.

Now I know that Cirque does tend to aim for basics in thier shows for the sake of continuity. It doesn't wear you out doing basics twice a night as much as if you were doing something complex, to be sure. BUT, the fact that I really do hold the performers in high regard, and last time I saw a knife spinner in a Cirque show he blew my mind, well, I expected it this time as well....and it failed. I was soooo disappointed with it. But that is because I had an expectation based on something I saw years ago. I did not want to see my peer up there, I wanted to see someone I could learn from, you know? Because that is the regard I hold CDS shows in...way beyond my capabilities. The people who went with me to the show told me I should audition, but I am big enough to admit that is yet beyond me.

And even more than this, all over Vegas there are free shows that I loved going to when I could. I saw a couple acts (not all, there were some sucky acts) that were similar to those in CDS who were more captivating and more skillful than those acts in Cirque, which was a huge thing for me to see, and a big realization on what a difference visuals make.
I still completely admire CDS for their dedication, artistry and vision..And their "clowns" truly are unique and second to none ...but not for the skill level, which I am coming to find is really not a higher level than any other show like them out there. And in a way brings me a sense of comfort about my own performing endeavors.... and thought it might do so for some of you all as well!

Hugs

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh, and forgot to mention, as a reslut I decided to really restructure my show. From watching all the shows I did do...I think I am going to take on a performance partner.

And for those interested...CDS is launching a new show in Las Vegas on August 13th, (tickets on sale now) called "Zumanity" with the tagline "Another Side of Cirque Du Soliel"

Pele

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
Oh, and forgot to mention, as a reslut I decided...
oops!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah, well, you know...a week in Vegas changes a person...

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
a week in Vegas changes a person...
and your bank balance!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ooooow.
Thats bum.
When I've seen them in london.
Percussive poi and all they've really rocked.
whole show had a lot of technical stuff really clean
Seems like things might be going down the pan in the CDS camp.

Arses arses arses I really liked the shows (mind you ticket price is a bit high....)

Eeeeep
Drew

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
from what i've seen of CDS the standard is wildly variable. A fair few of the greatest performers i've ever seen were from CDS shows, but you usually have to sit through a fair bit of annoying rubbish to see them.

They've got lots of time to fill in order to justify their ticket prices, and filling it all with incredible shiznit is pretty hard, so they fill it with filler and some jack-of-all-trade-master-of-none performers. After all, 99.9% of the public can't tell the difference between hard stuff and easy stuff, as you found out. (Jez was telling me about a bit from a CDS show he went to see where the audience went crazy over a guy doing the windmill its about pacing and audience expectation more than actual difficulty)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I saw the polynesian guy at the CDS here in Auckland, I was highly disappointed. In fact, the whole show was rather lacklustre compared with a lot of others i'd seen on video!

I've seen far far better fire knife performances than that one, and he even dropped twice with really simple throws.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have seen every CDS show, except Varakai, now. And in retrospect, it depends on where I am in personal growth as well. 5 years ago, they were gods among men...and now, because my skill base and intelligence has changed...and theirs hasn't (which is what I find most disappointing), my outlook has changed. Interesting how that goes.

Yet at the same time, it really does add alot of insight into furthering my presentation. Sometimes even the bad realizations are for a good end, you know?

I have to agree Drew with the ticket price thing. The standard in Vegas for the shows we saw was between $60 and 80. Both Cirque shows ran in the $100 per person range, and those were for the balcony (which were ideal seats, especially for "O"...don't go mezzanine/floor or you miss alot). It was outrageous. Even in Vegas where they are just another show, they are egotistical about it all, but the theaters were really cool!

Hey PK, this is one of those trips that didn't change my bank account at all. I was very lucky to not have to pay one red cent for anything at all. Two friends gave me quarters to slot for them, and that is all I gambled. Everything else, flight, hotel, shows and meals (which came to about $2500) was all taken care of!
But I agree that any place that charges $3 for a 12oz bottle of water should be flooded in thier own Evian! It is an expensive city, if you let it be, like any other well known "vacation spot".

Thanks for the feedback everyone...I find this really interesting.

[ 29. May 2003, 00:56: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele