Forums > Help! > Where to Buy Poi In Sydney!!??

Login/Join to Participate

STUIEnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys does anyone know where to buy poi in sydney!?

Or Contact juggling balls!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

smile

Entire Absolution.

QuestionzYnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Try Happy High Herbs in Newtown,just down from the station.
Or call thought Sport on (02)4473 7771, they are on the south coast but thats where I got my LED poi.

"Dancing is not simply moving to the music,it is becoming one with the music and letting the music move you"
Peace.Love.Unity.Respect.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Online is easy. Here on HoP for excellent poi. Juggleart in Melbs are good for contact balls.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Lanainenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
OR you try this:

much more fun, personal, and cheap smile

how far you go has nothing to do with distance.
with time at most.
-Blöf.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Indeed you can make your own sock poi but when you start doing more interesting moves like stalls you'll realise that the stretchiness of knitted socks is not your friend.

Firm fabric 'cone' poi are infinitely better. And if you wanting fire poi, I really do recommend you buy them from somewhere like HoP that uses quality parts.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I disagree there, gabe... doing stalls is fine with stretchy poi.. in fact it can help by having more give...

My sock poi don't even have any stretch left in them at all... but that wouldnt be the case if I used tennis balls... but tennis balls are WAAAY too light anyway... people who use tennis balls all tend to have the same funny flail-like style (No offense to people who use them) its not caused by a lack of skill... but it doesnt allow you to know EXACTLY where the poi are, just sort of vaguely where they are... extensions are lots easier with poi that are a bit heavier.

hug

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
It's the 'give' that is the problem with knitted fabric! Tangles, loops, orbitals, stall, all much easier with firm fabric. Try it. Notice what the really good folk - Nick W, Yuta etc use... its nearly always firm heavy poi. I agree about tennis balls, way too light. THat's why Nick is recommending rice in balloons. Cheap shops often have heavier density foam balls. Hacky sacks work too.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I think for beginners the give helps... it does with stalls for sure....

And if you use em the stretch disappears quickly! I'll show you mine at CG if you like. smile

hug

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
BUMP

there are 2 jugglingish shops in sydney -
The Whole Kite and Kaboodle (Coogee, beach side, around the corner from the oporto) These guys are WAY overpriced and since the new owners took over they seem to be phasing out juggling equipment. they mostly sell kites but have a pretty good range of juggling equipment, including clubs and contact, and poi and staff (fire and socks, they also sell wick for something rediculour like $25 a metre) which looks to be mostly juggleart with commission ontop $$

but if your after a quick fix thats your best bet in sydney

theres also happy high herbs in newtown, but this has a really small range, but they do sell FIRESOL ($40 for 5L - ripoff but essential for travelling performers who cant fly with fuel)

grin my work here is done.

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
$8 a litre!!

Costs about $4 wholesale (up here anyway) But I guess that;s retail normality... they gotta do the decanting, pay the rent etc. Bless em for making it available anyway.

For the record, one fuel that can be flown with is d60. Apparently Has a high enough flash point to be classified as non-dangerous for travel. Last time I looked anyway. I not done it myself but I know Pyroptix and the Carnival of the Divine Imagination have flown with it. Naturally would advise preparation eg having MSDSs and clearing it in advance. And Virgin seem to be the most paranoid so skip them maybe...

*back to topic*
getting poi in Sydney... um ....

markus2342SILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I heard of a poi shop in Manly.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend the HoP shop. For me it's always been faster than actually going to a shop smile

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: markus2342I heard of a poi shop in Manly.

Manly lied.

'FREE HUGGIES!!'