Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > just started, got some advanced moves down, any tips?

Login/Join to Participate

wbreslin951newbie
5 posts

Posted:
hey guys, i just started spinning poi i'd say about two weeks ago.. im gettin pretty good pretty quick. im very good with 3 and five beat weaves, 3 beat reverse weaves, orbitals from 3 beat weaves, uhmm a few little extensions of the 3 beat, and of course the butterfly.. just lookin for any tips as to where to go from here.. i wanna learn some behind the back as well as make my moves smoother and more fluid. as retarded as it sounds, i've already started to spin fire poi, and i have no hair on my arms lol, but i am confident in my fire safety skills as well as first aid, *used to be a lifeguard* so i can't say its the smartest thing in the world, but i do know how to be safe, and thats all that counts right? =]

wbreslin951newbie
5 posts

Posted:
also if you'd like to see my spin fire poi, here's a vid

https://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33738972

i definately do not try any of the more advanced moves that i can do with glow sticks.. im superrrrrr conservative when i spin fire poi as to avoid hurting myself.. i only perform moves that im completely confident with.

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
I hate to say it, but those aren't advanced moves, those are the fundamentals! A lot of people have a pretty fast learning curve right in the beginning picking up all the foundational moves... In the video it looked like you got the turn down pretty well, try working out the reverse 5-beat and turning 360. As a rank beginner myself I can definitely tell you that from here the biggest tip is to just put your man-hours into straightening up your angles and tempo... *Then* we can work on the advanced moves! cool The other best tip is to try to get as much of your own feedback as possible - practicing in front of mirrors, watching your shadow, taking videos where applicable, and just keep doing it until it looks and feels great.

Anyway there's no standard rule as to when you're supposed to do fire, some people do it after a week, others wait a year... The first time I used poi it was with a friend's fire set, but I only did a few really simple circles, but I didn't light up my own until after two months of good practice. As long as you're familiar with safety procedures, you're confident that you won't set yourself on fire, and you're absolutely sure of what you (and your safety) will do if that *does* happen... Just make sure you have basic equipment and medical supplies handy - and a safety who will quickly and correctly apply them.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Check out the library here for more poi moves, also just type "poi tutorial" into YouTube and that gives you a load more moves too.

Can't watch your video at work, but regardless I'd say work on tidying your planes and timing on all that you know instead of rushing and trying to learn every move their is.

Of course, if you have silly amounts of free time, you can always do both wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

wbreslin951newbie
5 posts

Posted:
i do happen to have silly amounts of free time lol. my planes with 3 and 5 beat weave as well as 3 beat backwards are pretty straight, i can spin while doing the weave, constantly going between backwards and forwards. i love spinning fire poi, its a great experience, but im definately timid as far as what i do with fire poi compared to what i'll do with glowsticks. I haven't even attempted half of the things i'm somewhat consistent with on fire poi, and I won't until im 100% confident that i'm not gonna light myself on fire in the process lol. but thanks for the tips..

and wraps.. how do i go about learning those.. they have got to be the most over my head thing i've ever attempted, and ive played guitar for 7 yrs lol

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
There are lots of wraps tutorials both here on HOP (do a search on the forums or look at the library) and on Youtube/elsewhere. Don't do wraps with fire until you're very comfortable with it, and always wear long sleeves/hoodie to protect your skin from hot metal. A burning wick won't hurt if it brushes against your skin but if it remains in contact for more than a very short period it will burn you, so you don't want to get one tangled on you by accident!

Silly amounts of free time are very good for learning poi! smile The important thing is whether you're enjoying it (and safe), which it sounds like you are!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

wbreslin951newbie
5 posts

Posted:
haha yeah i definately do enjoy it.
i wont spin fire poi without my hat on.. i've already hit myself in the head with fire a couple times.. thank god im always wearing a hat otherwise my mohawk would be gone! lol

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
One tip I might offer is to practice the transitions between the moves that you already know.

BTW the trick to wraps is to put part of your body in the path of your chain/sting and then give it a slight tug so that it unwraps.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Kusanaginewbie
23 posts

Posted:
The way to make moves smoother and more fluid IMHO is to develop muscle memory, which means putting in your man hours like Mucky said. I know it probably sounds boring, but I'm afraid it is necessary. *g*

I don't remember who posted it, nor where it was, but there was something on the internet called "Scales of Poi" (not the Nick Woolsey DVD) Basically, you spin one poi and you turn your body so that you get used to spin btb, etc... I would suggest to try that. I'm no poi expert by any means of the imagination, but I find that those scales really helped with my planes and I find they make my transitions smoother.

HTH and be safe,

K.

Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and it hold the universe together.