Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Jus' curious how many people are participating in the livejournal strike today and what they think about it?

Don't know what it is? A group of users are trying to send a message to the new owners of livejournal that the site is content and user driven after a user committee was ignored and the decision has been made to stop offering free accounts without ads. No posts. No comments. No editting. Nothing. (**personally, I think it's an admirable goal, but one that's just too far reaching considering the site will probably see a much higher hit count of people just looking to see if anyone's posted during the strike.)

Your thoughts?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I have an LJ and I wasn't even aware anything was happening.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Lol. I've been hearing a lot about that. It seems like it was really a grassroots campaign.

Now, I'm not going to lie. I'm not posting today? Why, because I really and truly have nothing to blog about daoy (*I've been having a serious case of SSDD these days) ubbrollsmile

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

M33k0BRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Well... I use livejournal a lot, and it's been nice to have a free account but then I decided I wanted to pay for an account. I don't see it as bad, I mean myspace is free and we get ads there. Message boards can have ads. There are ads everywhere. Should we have ads on journals? Probably not. But I am such an avid user of it that I went ahead and paid for it to support the site.

So I think if you are really an avid user of the site, you would pay for it. Still sucks, but the membership isn't that expensive at all. It's worth it for extra styles and options and the ability to not have ads.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I don't see the ads?... I just block them with Firefox.

On another note... I subscribe to several clubs off line and receive bi-monthly mags from them, so even though I pay a membership annually I still get pages of adult chuff numbers in there... ads seem to be every where these days... at least online you can block them... or off line tear them out of your magazines. biggrin

Just a thought.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
 Written by :PK_

or off line tear them out of your magazines...

To peruse later on at your leisure... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Look_This_Changes

Written by :PK_

or off line tear them out of your magazines...

To peruse later on at your leisure... wink

Sounds like a plan wink

Actually now that I am home from travelling around Europe and have a computer again.. I looked at my LJ account and I have so far read that all this talk about sponsored paid accounts will only be affected by Russian members right now.

Written by

News from Russia
We made a commitment to keep you abreast of important LiveJournal developments and we want to honor that commitment and let you know about a new feature we are going to test in Russia: Paid Accounts Supported by Sponsors.

The concept is simple, really. Essentially it’s a paid account, but someone else picks up the bill.

Here's how it works: Users will be offered paid accounts that are supported by sponsors. Users will be able to choose accounts from a range of brands supporting this program. Should the sponsor stop supporting this arrangement, the account will revert back to its previous type.

The accounts will have a specially designed journal style with modest branding from the sponsor; these will be designed by our creative department and approved by the sponsors. There will also be a banner in the profile page. The owners of paid/sponsored accounts will not see advertisements in other people's journals, while existing paid users will not see banners in a sponsored users' profiles. The branded styles will respect ?style=mine, which will allow paid users to avoid seeing branded styles if they wish to do so.

This new feature will soon be available for testing by Russian-speaking users. They will test the functionality of new accounts and provide us with feedback. Based on this feedback and agreements with global advertisers, we may eventually extend this new functionality to LJ users around the world.