Forums > Social Discussion > blair quits (tony blair UK PM)

Login/Join to Participate

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
so today he announced his departure date..............what will be his so highly prized legacy???

Non-Https Image Link

is he down with the "yoots", the common man's man??

Non-Https Image Link

or...an evil despot??? wink

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
apparently, according to the dominion postin new zealand he will be remembered as the man that brought peace in northern ireland.

personally i think he will be remembered as the prime minister that did more to destroy things like the NHS and peoples civil liberties

there is also the small queston of lying to parliment and embroiling the country in an illegal war in the middle east over oil.

IMO on June 28th he should be on trial in the hague.....but thats just my opinion.

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

7,193 posts

Posted:
so your going with the evil despot option then? biggrin

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
hmm.....well to be fair...

i'd just call him self centred, cowardly and stupid as opposed to actual evil. lets face it he's (and his party) have been caught with fingers in so many crooked pies its not funny. the only prime minister to ever be interviewed in respect to criminal proceedings? nuff said. I mean all politicians seem to be crooked but if he wasnt stupid he wouldnt have got caught.

now i'm not sure if i rememerb correctly but i think he got off to an OK start but he's been in power four years to long and now look at what he's leavng behind.

(the same for his self absorbed missus who has used and abused her status for a whole raft of things (allegedly))

also, i've heard he smells worse than me feet (maybe (yer honor))

(i'm really surprised that this thread has only had me post on it. I mean that has done only slightly less for world peace than dubya. i was hoping for some more input from other people, preferably from abroad...ho hum...)

what do you reckon??

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Whatever he was, he wasn't as bad as George Dubya Bush.

Not even a quarter as bad.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
hmm...interesting. its true, he did OK in the early days. however im not sure about the economy as i can help thinking its all artificially inflated somehow. have a look int he comment sections of the guardian (yes i know lefty lefty broadsheet but in the comments section you get both sides of the story from the commenterswho seem to be fairly wellread)

also, he condoned and supported GWB, that makes him as bad. and he has done just as much to erode civil liberties and supply arms and stuff to ppl that didnt really need it. He has just got more of a personality and a better grasp of the english language than GWB so he can get out of situations.

a few more things that sprang to mind: trident (please tell me why?), outrageous house prices, decreased job security, public trans

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
From Pledgebank:

Written by:

"I will join the Labour Party and vote for John McDonnell in the leadership election of 2007 but only if 100,000 other people will do the same."

— Andrew Matthews, disenfranchised voter

Deadline to sign up by: 24th May 2007

3 people have signed up, 99997 more needed

More details

John McDonnell provides a left wing alternative to Gordon Brown in the forthcoming leadership election. He is, for example, pro- Civil Liberties and opposes Private Finance Initiatives. His website is https://www.john4leader.org.uk.

The Labour Party has announced that new members will be able to vote in the leader and deputy leader elections if they join before 1 June; see https://www.labour.org.uk/leadership/.

https://www.pledgebank.com/vote4John

I'm number 2 biggrin

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
w00t!

Jon, I assume you've sent it to everyone you know?

biggrin

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

also, he condoned and supported GWB, that makes him as bad.

Not to completely derail the topic, but why such hatred? There is seemingly a lot of anti-americanism there, I'm just curious if you could elaborate a bit. Is that over Iraq? or Afghanistan? The "War on Terror" in general? Or just because it's Bush?

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

7,193 posts

Posted:
war on terror or war of terror???

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lurch

Not to completely derail the topic, but why such hatred? There is seemingly a lot of anti-americanism there, I'm just curious if you could elaborate a bit. Is that over Iraq? or Afghanistan? The "War on Terror" in general? Or just because it's Bush?

I don't hate America (although sometimes I feel like I want to). I hate Bush's administration and its policies, its "divinity," its pride, its arrogance, and its sense of entitlement.

Bush is about as anti- and un-American as you can be.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lurch

Written by: ]also, he condoned and supported GWB, that makes him as bad. [/quote

to be honest, i really cannot be bothered and i dont want to. i'll sum it up by saying that its all of the above. going into afghanistan then iraq and then supporting the policies that were pursued in those countries were not wise decisions for this country or for him. look where it has got us (the UK nation/the world) and him (TB).

frankly, i dont wanna get embroiled in some "anti-american argument.this thread is about tony blair and his legacy to the world and the UK not "are you for america or against". i have mentioned him here because he made some decisions that related to some things that GWB and co have done that i think were bad and i said that this made him as bad. this is not anti-americanism. this is an observation based on personal opinion based on a reasonable amount of browsing of current affairs stuff.

see after a few of my rants i probably have a rep for being some left-wing, i hate all americans etc etc yaddayaddaydda type person whihc is not the case so thats all i will say.

on here, every thread that is about politics degenerates into this is "anti-americanism" and i would like to see this thread as a means to try and get people to assess british foreign policy instead of going go off on a US foreign policy tangent. I'm bored of this anti-american vein of tedium that permeates so many threads on here its tedious as it precludes any form of discussion about any form of foreign affairs.

boringboringboring

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
PS: in case i didnt make myself clear this thread is about

Tony Blair, UK

not:

america, george bush, whether everyone is against the US,

thanks
B

oh yeh *hugs*

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

7,193 posts

Posted:
thanks biggins, i was going to put spank stop hijacking my thread ubblol

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Well you can't really say "he agrees with Bush, therefore he's evil" and not have it be anti-american :P

It was an honest question, no need to be hostile. I wasn't looking to get into an anti-american argument, you're the one who brought up the US to begin with. Frankly I don't think blindly catagorizing politics is a very good idea. Everyone does things wrong, or bad, it's the nature of the game you'll never make everyone happy.

I don't have a huge understanding of British politics, but it seems that a lot of the criticisms Blair gets are almost directly related back to that anti-american mentality. Right or wrong it does seem to blind people. Ignore the bad for a bit and look at what he has accomplished. He was elected 3 times, for one thing, which should say something right there. My understanding is that he was quite popular during the early part of his career, promised many nice and shiny things. Some of which he came through on, most of which only partially, some not at all.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I have no time whatsoever for people who can't make the distinction between anti-American and anti-an-American.

[edit] If it comes down to being for or against America; Where people can't make the afore said distinction, I'm definately against America, for the way it's institutions and politics encourage stupidity, ignorance and lock-step nationalism, that causes a justly deserved bad reputation for some to spill over onto the genuinely decent, intelligent and free thinking Americans, whom I would gladly live with and die for.
EDITED_BY: polarity (1179351130)

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
no that's just the democrats that keep giving free handouts and no training and no responsiblity eek
sorry
now get back on topic! biggrin

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I am opposed to stupidity, ignorance and affronts to rational thought no matter where they may occur, so this is a division between those who whould be led blindly and those who would know those who lead them and choose the better path for themselves.

Turning the matter into a division of race or nationality is just another way to blind people to where they are being led.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
And democrat/republican is yet another division that has you blinded to what's really going on. So long as people make judgements and divide the world along differing polarities, no-one can get along. The opposites are always part of the same thing that is ultimately destroyed by enforcing their separation.

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

I am opposed to stupidity, ignorance and affronts to rational thought no matter where they may occur, so this is a division between those who whould be led blindly and those who would know those who lead them and choose the better path for themselves.

Turning the matter into a division of race or nationality is just another way to blind people to where they are being led.

i'm with you on that one biggrin

"capatalist systems thrive's upon greed, making people want when they don't really need. greed leads to fighting an governments cash in, cos' they supply the guns that do the trooping!!! in search of money they bring the suffering, look how much ammo they been creating. 16billion units a year thats 2 guns sold for every person here."

humanity has lost it's way, in the persute of making life easyer we have corrupted ourselves. peace

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well this is great.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6660565.stm

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Well you can't really say "he agrees with Bush, therefore he's evil" and not have it be anti-american :P

Written by:

I have no time whatsoever for people who can't make the distinction between anti-American and anti-an-American

thank you for saying in one sentence what i would have take three paragraphs to say

---------------------------------------------

Written by:

Ignore the bad for a bit and look at what he has accomplished.

Written by:

what these bad things?

trident (please tell me why?),
outrageous house prices,
decreased job security,
public transport destruction
PFI-ing every government service he can get his hands on (including my job probably),
has given the UK such a bad name internationally,
introduced student top-up fees,
got the ball rolling for ID cards....
eroded civil liberties
supply arms and stuff to ppl that didnt really need it.
lying to parliment (allegedly)
embroiling the country in an illegal war in the middle east over oil

Wielding a Wooden Spoon