Forums > Social Chat > Need Help RE: Bridal shower/Wedding Gifts

Login/Join to Participate

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Hello fellow HoPpers!

I have a couple questions with regards to gifts for a bridal shower and wedding.

My best friend Randy is getting married to his girl Meghan on June 28th of this yr.

I already met Meghan and her best friend to pick out bridesmaid dresses.
Front of Dress

Click on "Click to see another view of dress" to see the back of it.

It will be a periwinkle blue.It looks spiffy on me.

Ok now to the 2 big questions:

1) What are you sposed to get the bride for a bridal shower?

2) What are you sposed to get the couple as a wedding gift?

I asked Dio about the wedding gift thing and he suggested a Foreman Grill.

Yalls oppinions would be greatly appreciated!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I like to be creative.
Weddings are alot of stress. Perhaps for the bride a gift certificate for a massage or visit to a day spa for use the week before the wedding, to use for calming down?

For the couple...that is harder. Families tend to get them all the appliance stuff. The last wedding I went to we gave the bride and groom gift certificates to a spiffy restaraunt and book of certificates to the movies. That way they could have a stress free date when all was said and done. Later my friend (the groom) said that was one of the best gifts he recieved because after the honeymoon and everything they were counting pennies so it was nice to be able to go out and not worry.

I like my gifts to have a unique practicality because no one else ever seems to go that route.

I also want to point out that all the brides and grooms that I have known in the past couple of years LOVE the advent of the gift cert/card. That way they don't need to rent or borrow an extra vehicle for present carrying and they don't flood their home with stuff they will never use, have to regift or all that packaging.
Just ideas!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I don't know where I heard this, but I did hear it recently......

for engagements and bridal showers you should give something that can be put away and taken out as needed and used during the marriage. For example, linen, sheets, towels, table cloths etc.

for weddings it shouldbe something useful for the two people to use when they are setting up their new home (though in today's day and age when a lot of people already have an established household or 'things' the necessity for stuff for the house is less immediate)

having said that - make up your own rules

1,032 posts

Posted:
Thank yall for the suggestions!

I like the idea of gift cards. Easy and simple.

Spanner I may take you up on your offer of help if I still can't find something good.

I just can't wait to see my friends again and help with the ceremony. Meghan is supposed to have her bridal shower sometime in May so I need to think quick as to what I will get her.

Keep the ideas flowing HoPpers!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Xirtammember
37 posts

Posted:
The dress is lovely..and looks very much like what my bridesmaids wore. As a fairly recent bride, I can tell you I would have loved a massage or spa thingy..espcially if the giver came with me and we made a day of it. However as some suggestions here's what I got. Maid of Honour, my sis. gave me a fireplace screen and for the wedding she bought all the liquor. From the bridesmaids for the shower I got a vase, some Japanese dishes and more Tupperware than I ever saw in my life. For the wedding I got a serving dish, lamps (2) and a crockpot. I had 3 bridesmaids, 4 with my sis. So I guess you don't have to go to fancy, practical is better. I use the crockpot all the time. But really...go for the spa thingy and go along too, it sounds the most fun for the shower gift:) Hope it helps

And Daddy! They took my boot!

1,032 posts

Posted:
Thank you Xirtam. Those ideas give me a better idea of what you get people at bridal showers and stuff.