Forums > Social Chat > why do i feel like the only alternate

Login/Join to Participate

Fluffy poimember
38 posts

Posted:
hey folks just a quick post,
do you ever feel like your the only alternate into poi cos i do everyone ive spoken to is into rave if im not the only one here that loves alternate music please let me know before i go out of my mind ta
don't pinch my ball of fluff i need it

right im off to play with my ball of pink fluff

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
you mean metal and rock?

god there are loads i know...and they arent even on HOP (well...frostypoi is but other arent as they have only just been released and will log onin teh next few days)

i know what you mean though...well me and frostypoi are into everything... (except the whole garage scene....its shit), but ska, punk, ska punk, drum and bass and others are what we are into..

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Im into alternative, but also into trance etc. I used to be a goth maaaannnny years ago, but originally started with rock, then went into metal, industrial then goth, and now i like a bit of everything! I only know 1 alternative who is into poi too! it just means you are one of a kind!

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Fluff hun - you are most def not the only one.. but revel in your uniqueness..!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
yea, I listen to everything except rap.

Rock, Metal, hardcore trance, trance, jungle, drum an' bass, classical, slow music, ska.

You name it, I like it. It's all good.

Blue light hunterGOLD Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
Oh you're hardley out in the sticks are you?? Around here in basildon, where I live, I know one other poi freak, like myself adn he doen't even live near me. He's cool. If you can travel down to london, you can find people in parks at various meeting through out the year. Dunna worry your head about it hon. We are everywhere!!!

There are three rules about the monkey in the cage. The first is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage”. The second is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage!!!”
The third is not to feed him after midnight or ever get him wet......

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
you're definately not the only one.
i am not at all into the rave scene, and i have little patience for trance music and the like. i apreciate the efforts the dj's, but i just can't get into it. i'm a mostly goth, rock, and alternative kinda girl myself. but i'll listen to pretty much anything that shows talent and is interesting. sorry if this offends anyone, but i just find almost all rave music really boring. i know there's more to raves than the music, but its a big stumbling block for me.

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if you mean a specific thing by "alternatve" but I do poi and am certainly not in the rave scene. I am way too shy to go out dancing and such..

But quite a few jugglers do poi, and I got into it a bit more from that angle (yo-yos, then juggling, then poi).

I like all kinds of music...

Shawn

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I am not into the rave scene either. I wouldn't really say I am into alternative. I listen to probably the cream of the crop of the alternative genre and that's it. Same goes with most genres of music. The only music I really avoid is modern country and hiphop. IMO neither of those genres even have any cream to offer.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
what's an alternative n.?

dunno, I don't fit in no pigeonhole..Looooove the industrial scene, goths have all the kool clothes(but I still dont like goth music). love the noize scene, the rock scene doesn't hold my attention very long but it's fun too..love me some punk, but only if there's lots of other people to bang into..blues/ska/reggae/dub = dope, thrash is tasty, classical/opera/choral is sweet, love the hiphop..n that's not even mentioning any edm I like..I always kinda revel in bein into stuff that other people aren't into, that's just me tho

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I love dance (psy-trance, ambient, nu-nrg, progressive trance,D&B), especially going to a club.

At home I listen mostly to jazz, world music (especially Indian and Irish traditional) Also like rock and classical and blues. I don't make it to many live gigs alas but when I do it tends to be rock / irish trad / jazz.

Poi has become very popular as it is often seen as a 'raver' toy.

Think you will find though that most people are open to a wide variety of music.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I'm alternate 2... I love metal, punk rck but I also love a bit of Trance and Ambience... I dont see any problem with it wot so ever...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I stick to the basics. Techno, Rock, and Hip Hop. Hip Hop being my least favorite. Im not really into the club scene but I have gone to clubs a few times. Im more into the party scene. Im friends with lots of DJs which is more or less how I got into the whole techno/club/rave/poi thing. As for knowing others that are alternative...Nope. Dont know anyone besides myself that practices poi.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I remember when 'Alternative' meant three people in bed

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Fluffy poimember
38 posts

Posted:
hey folk can i just say thankyou for making me feel better. now im of to try and play with my poi but its hard with this damaged muscle

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I love Soul Music.
But it doesn't really matter what you twirl to as long as it gets you going and you enjoy it then what does it matter what others think????
I'm sure i'm one of the few who twirls to soul, but hey, "I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link
and it makes me feel good!!!!
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
High Class Hippy No:1
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I tend to like any type of music genre, but I think I'm the only HoPper into country music.I can sing along with the songs pretty well because of my Southern accent and have grown up around it. I can also do some country dancing which I'm trying to incorporate into my poi along with freak moves.

I all music!Well I enjoy some alternative music as well as classical.I play classical too because I play orchestra violin.I'm learning to play fiddle style tho!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
yeehaw!! My family on my mothers side were all in the same bluegrass band, used to follow them around to diff country fairs when I was a wee bit..I appreciate alot of blue grass, but the nu skool country is vomitous, leest to me

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
we seem to have some vagueness about the precise defintion of 'alternative.' ohh! wait! heres my opportunity to use my complete oxford dictionary my school decided to endow me with 4 yrs ago (for reason unbenowest to me who was completing maths & science subjects ) ....
adj. 1.(of one or more things) available as another possibility...nope... 2. (of two things) mutually excusive....nope 3. of or relating to activities that depart from or challenge traditional norms.....
well that failed....i suppose defining 'alternative' is like defining 'art'

some friends call my taste in music alternative, which is
rocky...but not metal....
accoustic, but not country..... (sorry mistress aurora !)
electronic, but not dance....
i kind of prefer slower, more melancholic...

i listen to the above catagory most of the time...if twirling by myself, or for a smaller /quieter group, i find that something smoother, quieter, and perhaps a tad meloncolic sounds cool, and give a close intimate feel to the evening....tracks i love are the live version of radioheads 'spinning plates' (sounds strange, but try it), or Rob dougan 'clubbed to death' (i think on matrix soundtrack), or 'augie march'or 'george' (aussie bands some prob not heard of), and occasionally some coldplay.
combining some of these slower, more reflective and thought provoking tracks with my long heavy chains is fantastic...awesome atmosphere.

or if im feeling angry or generally pissed off , i play 'muse' at high volume and thrash the tension out....

so if thats vaguely the alternate music you had in mind...we do exist ! if not, at least ive finally used my dictionary for the first time!

cheers.

ps. do you think the receiving smilie in looks like he's/she's/it's happy? there seems to be a smile there....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'd probably fit into your description of alternative (in terms of music taste anyway), although I really hate the way music at the moment's been categorised so much - I prefer a binary system. Either I like something or I don't and I really don't give a crap what other people call it.

Sorry, micro rant over

Anyway, I know what you mean, most of the people I spin with like almost totally different music to me, so I usually end up spinning to music I'm not too keen on. I'm not really that bothered though, since I just tune it out.

In the end though, we're all spinners so it shouldn't make much difference.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Hrm... I listen to country, (some rap), rock

I mean my fav. band of all time is Aerosmith.

Trance and techno are great, but there is so much more out there. A broad pallet is a good thing, says me.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, people classed as 'alternate' always have to be the minority don't they?
Otherwise they're 'standard' surely?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Krystelmember
26 posts

Posted:
Anyone one ever heard of 'Talvin Singh' - great artist if you like alternative try him.

i love rave, but depending on what mood i'm in depends on what i listen to - go with your guts girl and don't worri what other peps think. Listen to what makes your heart sore!!

Why be a second rate version of somebody else when you can be a first rate version of yourself!

Xirtammember
37 posts

Posted:
I'm not much into rave either, but I like alternative, world music esp Irish, heavy metal, 80's stuff, got into J-pop while I was living over there, but really I'll listen to anything. Currently my husband is listening to the Arrogant Worms, an insane, very funny Canadian band. Don't know if I could spin to them tho'....maybe to Saskatchewan River Pirate

Xirty

And Daddy! They took my boot!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I love me Tea Party and Also me TOOL...(DFQ I LOVE YER BABY)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Fluffy poimember
38 posts

Posted:
hey guys thanxs for all the imput.now i know that were not all mad ravers (sad but true )hehe the only problem i'm having is finding something i can really spin to
suggestions on a postcard please

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Yup the general consensus is all music is good if you like it, and alternate means not like me, to some people, to us tho alternate means someone I'd like to meet...........

I could ramble more but I think I'll give up now

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets