Forums > Technical Discussion > Recommendations for Fire Poi

Login/Join to Participate

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I have a pair of fabric poi, and its really bugging me because I still get the tails tangled... getting better at it but not quite there. My question is... what would you all recommend for a beginner when it comes to poi? I want a fire poi set, not too heavy, something for a beginner, Ive never spun fire before but want to get used to the weight so that I can eventually spin fire smile I am pretty confident with some moves.... as I said still very much a beginner, but ready to take the next step. What kind of chain, which fire head.... all that good stuff

Any help would be mucho appreciated!

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
[Old link] for alternatives to fire or tails, or here for a discussion on chain types. Please do a search in future,

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
If you already have a set of tail poi you can use the fingerloops off those, some chain from a hardware store (probably about $5) and some practice heads from HOP ($20) for a cheap set.

I wouldn't advise ballchain for starting out as it's weaker, heavier and causes burns more easily than normal chain.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GeoffonTour04

I wouldn't advise ballchain for starting out as it's weaker, heavier and causes burns more easily than normal chain.

umm Really? I can't say I've noticed any difference in weight - but then my poi heads are pretty big so would need some heavier "normal" chain for safety reason. I've never had ball chain break on me, however I have had steel cord fray to the point of breakage.

As for burns more easily...er... how so? If you're gonna get burnt by the chain, you'll get burnt. Ball chain just makes a prettier pattern wink
(Or option 2 - don't get burned...)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
The strength thing is probably not much of an issue but I have heard of people breaking ballchain, which should never happen with normal chain.

Burns are also definitely worse with ballchain. I do a lot of wraps, sometimes on skin, and I've never been burned badly by my practice heads+normal chain. I've been scarred by both tube core heads (awful idea) and ballchain, because there's a lot less surface area per link for the air to cool it down when you're spinning, so you get a 2 - 6 inch hotspot near the poi head (perfect place for quick wraps).

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
my first fire poi set i got (and still use) are the monkey fist heads, split link chain and leather handles. (cheaper to buy seperates)

There quite heavy but not as heavy as 125gram juggling balls. If it hurts when you hit yourself you learn fast not to do it again!