Login/Join to Participate
Page:
dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
US Pastor Ted Haggard admits sex immorality

ubblol ubblol ubblol

What affect (if any) do our Stateside Hoppers think this will have on the upcoming senate/congress elections (if any)?

What implications might this have for the strength of support for the Evangelical movement in the US?

and does anyone believe that he bought speed but didn't take it, and had a 'massage' rather than anal sex?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Found out about this yesterday... oh dear... Who'd have thunk it?

Also... (and to add to the questions)...

America has elections (as mister dream pointed out) coming up soon - perhaps we could also make a list over the next week of news stories which seem to have appeared with the election agenda in mind?!

So then:

1. US pastor sex scandel - Reflection on the Republicans

2. All-day 'curfew' imposed in Iraq (isn't that pretty much house arrest?) in connection with Saddam trial - An effort to prevent any unpleasant bombing/fighting incidents which could kill US soldiers, impacting negatively on Republican ratings (but helpfully, this may also save some Iraqi lives too - so everyone's a winner).

3. Saddam trial - conveniently timed to deliver a guilty verdict just before the election.

4. US Woman bishop is first to lead Anglican church - keeping Christianity and women in the headlines...

Anything else?

Getting to the other side smile

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hehe, i got halfway through that article before i realised it said 'immorality'.. i was thinking 'immortality'. really changes the article ubblol

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The thing is, these are all coming out too late.

Most people have already made up their minds and the election is on Tuesday.

Not to mention that in this country people will excuse it away. While I don't believe for a moment that he only had a massage, people *will*..believers and followers will.

People who are the ones who will get fired up about these articles are the people who are usually vehemently supportive of their party, which means this will have no impact on their vote. They are Republican or Democrat or Liberal or Green, no matter what. I know several of these people.

People like me who do their research and jump in with an informed vote tend to not be swayed by late coming articles such as these because we are well aware it is propaganda.

As for the Evangelical movement.... they'll excuse it an bury it. They will turn this into a preaching standpoint and try to save his soul. This is by far not the first scandle they have had, nor will it be the last. It won't even be a blip on their radar in a couple weeks.

However, I have heard several conflicting reports, and it was even mentioned in this article that he was fired vs. he stepped down(resigned).

And for the Saddam thing. *shrug* It's been more on the internet here than on the tv or radio. It seems it's not nearly as newsworthy here as they were hoping it would be. Articles about it point out that this timing is an attempt to sway an election vote, which would kind of defeat the purpose of the intent...which I find very humorous btw.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

hehe, i got halfway through that article before i realised it said 'immorality'.. i was thinking 'immortality'. really changes the article ubblol

hug

Would definitely have had people knocking boots for days!!! ubblol ubblol ubblol

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
that man is crazy, anyone seen the Richard Dawkins interview with him? pure fundamentalist. theres a vid of him discussing creation/evolution here . although i find richard dawkins almost as fanatical, at least he's basing his opinion on science.

and be the way, does anyone else see the similarity in appearance and behaviour in Haggard and Patrick Swaze's character from Donnie Darko?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Articles about it point out that this timing is an attempt to sway an election vote, which would kind of defeat the purpose of the intent...which I find very humorous btw.

Really?!

Oh, that's good...

CNN news report

Fox news

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

Really?!

Oh, that's good...

CNN news report

Fox news

The Fox one didn't, and it was one I hadn't read, but the CNN one did. I'd read that one and several AP ones, and an NYT one, so thanks for helping to prove my point, since I didn't say "all". rolleyes
EDITED_BY: Pele (1162828128)

Pele

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yeesh... Pele?!

Please don't read into my comments something that isn't there.
I wasn't having a go at you!!

Firstly, I was being genuine when I expressed surprise that the articles were pointing out the connection between events in Iraq and the election.

It is good if the American media are doing a better job than normal.

I posted those two reports so other people reading this thread can easily see how the American news is reporting it. Americans should not have a problem accessing a variety of reports themselves.

I can't imagine all news agencies would point out the connection - and I certainly wouldn't have expected it from Fox.

Finally, last minute news stories do carry sway for the swing voters - those people who decide at the last minute - and also the ones the candidates are canvassing right now.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

America has elections

Duh! America has rigged voting machines, not elections! Silly...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Doh...

Humblest apologies lady... you are right as always smile

(hope all is well with you smile )

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
yer i know what you meen Mr Majestik the resemblance is scary aint it espeshaly after seeing the dawkins interview he had lots of the same manerisms to. infact the only major diffrence is he was doing adults not kids.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

infact its VERY VERY SPOOKY maby donny darko realy was from the future.

as for the elections i dout it'll have that much effect hes not the first pastor to take load of drugs and a bum full of man juice and i dout he'll be the last bet you it'll be forgoten about inside the week.
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1162836515)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
He's had the LOVE, now he'll have to face the FEAR...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
also
these are accusations
personally i think they might be true but the transcripts don't sound right of the voicemails-you just don't leave a message that you want a hundred dollars worth of drugs on a voicemail

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm

You might not.
Some people do though.

3,556 posts

Posted:
well, then they deserve to be caught

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Correct....like this case. ubbrollsmile

3,556 posts

Posted:
may all drug users be warned and also it is not cool to have your drug dealer on speeddial even if you want to be a rockstar
*hums*

Faith

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Are you on drugs today? umm

3,556 posts

Posted:
eekno

offtopic

why can't i just be having fun ubbloco

dated someone who was someone and know way to much information about this sort of thing ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

Faith

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No its not off topic.
There were drugs in the story, im talking about drugs.
Show me the offtopicness, and not the one in your post giving advice to up and coming rock stars. umm

ubbrollsmile

3,556 posts

Posted:
goodness relaxmeditate

see edited entry

my drug use or should i say, lack thereof is not this topics focus

edit: honey biggrin it's a song from puddle of mudd or something like that
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1162844724)

Faith

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
relax? im in bed right now.

Theres a saying that if I were anymore relaxed, I would be horizontal.... which I already am. confused ubblol

But yeah, but to the naughty lying pastor bashing!

spank spank spank spank spank

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I hear he was doing it with UCOF, too. Lucky git. spank

Seriously, though. That "dark and demonic" part of his life, or whatever he called it also known as "the closet."

For those of us who chose to embrace it and ourselves as who we are, we have gone to live lives that are exactly as messed up as the next guy's.

This shows the pain and danger of the closet. The longer you stay in and the longer you barricade the door, the bigger the monster inside gets...and the worse damage he causes when he comes out.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mike, you really think this is about coming out vs. trying to hide it?
It seems, well, so much bigger yet as a very normal issue.

It's about touting yourself as a paragon and being a hypocrit.

If he were joe schmo next door and did the same thing, it wouldn't be so...large. It's more about the hypocracy and the feeling of betrayal I think.

How's the gay community where you are reacting to it?

Here there is a strong "In your FACE!!!" sentiment that has me in giggles!

Pele

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Actually, regarding the 'drug dealer on speed dial'..... I believe the tune is by Nickel Back.

As regards to the real topic here (and that's not a jab at you faith..just me avoiding being told that I'M off topic)....it kind of makes me wonder....this doofus was getting very little recog before, and now....he's in the big headlines.

To me it smacks of the rumours that Paris Hilton had the sex tapes of her released on purpose so that she could be in the limelight.....

You know, some people WILL do almost ANYTHING for attention.

Just a thought. shrug

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Huh, Ted Haggard's career and image now stand ready to collapse due entirely to the intolerance he helped propagate.

Still, you've got to laugh, don't you? wink ubblol

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fyrespirit

To me it smacks of the rumours that Paris Hilton had the sex tapes of her released on purpose so that she could be in the limelight.....

You know, some people WILL do almost ANYTHING for attention.

Just a thought. shrug

Maybe they should have done a better job... i've seen that tape and i really expected more from her...

Now a video of the good reverend doing a line would be controversy...

Love is the law.

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Now a video of the good reverend doing a line would be controversy...

espehsaly if its off the back off a rent boy in a bath house ubblol

its very hard to have any sympathy for him

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

duhBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
I think the issue of the pastor staying in the "closet", and him being a "paragon and a hypocrit" are the same. Ted chose to stay in the closet , and lead his double life, he allowed himself to rise to a position of power and respect, and in doing so seperated himself from his "other self" even further. so of course he was a hypocrit, he had two compleatly different sides of himself, and that stems from him choosing to stay "in the closet," and repress his "demons". personally, i think this man needs a psychiatrist, I don't see how you couldn't damage yourself severly by living a double life in that extreme, publically speaking out against the things that you do behind closed doors, i couldn't do it.

an interesting note, the church council who reviewed ted's case and the pastor's appology were more concerned with the fact that he had cheated on his wife, not the fact that it was with a man.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

Huh, Ted Haggard's career and image now stand ready to collapse due entirely to the intolerance he helped propagate.

Still, you've got to laugh, don't you? wink ubblol

Honestly, I did laugh, and then I thought about it. This is the perfect opportunity for the religious right to "prove" what they've always said about homosexuality -- that it's a sin and a choice that can be redeemed through faith in Christ the Lord amen. It's already been announced that the head of Focus on the Family (Dobson, don't remember his first name) is heading up Mr. Haggard's "rehabilitation."

I bet that Haggard is going to become the poster child for the ex-gay movement, especially because he's not just any ol' fag off the street, oh no, but a prominent figure in the evangelical community. I don't think that this episode will teach the right-wingers anything about compassion or gayness, or judging lest ye be judged or anything that's actually Christian; ultimately it's going to be more fuel for their fire.

Unless, of course, Mr. Haggard completely breaks ranks and actually comes out. That'd be a welcome surprise to me, but I've a feeling that's not how it's going to go.
EDITED_BY: _khan_ (1162944898)

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Page: