Forums > Social Discussion > Using the 'Notify Mods' button.

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

How many people use the 'Notify Mods' button?

I ask because, I do and, while I couldn't say how often, i would describe it as 'fairly regularly'.

(The main reasons for me notifying a mod are that a post is either hostile/aggressive/rude (to the extent that it breaks board guidelines) or that it is basically a 'Chat' thread posted in the 'Social Discussion' board).

Yet, despite the recent added feature of a message stating whether the moderator has already been notified, I find that I very rarely see that message when using the button.

This either means that I'm a bit 'trigger happy' and reporting innocuous posts, or, that, for whatever reasons, most people on this board are not fond of using the 'notify mods' button to the extent that they maybe should.

I feel that i can rule out the first possibility as the posts i report do get dealt with and, if i was 'trigger happy', then presumably I would be informed of that by a mod.

So, the question is, are people reluctant to use the button and, if so, why?

Also, are there any particular reasons why it's quite common to find new threads started in 'Discussion' which would be far more approriate in 'Chat'.

The only reason I can think of (other than making a mistake) is that maybe people are concerned that their thread, if posted in 'Chat, will quickly drop out of view, whereas 'Discussion' tends to move slower.

Any other reasons?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've used the button, but not that often.

I think people have different opinions on what's offensive or inappropriate, and from some of your past posts I think yours are probably stricter than those of most. The same could apply to people posting in discussion instead of chat. I've seen quite a few posts in chat that have mutated from chat into a discussion, too.

It's a bit harsh to say people post here instead of chat just so that they can see their thread on the screen a bit longer. While I'm sure that this has happened, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they'd thought their topic worth some serious consideration, or as you said made a mistake.

In my experience though a lot of threads will "sort themselves out", in that people tell others to modify posts or change the tone of their discussion to be less hostile, and most people on here are sensible and considerate enough to respond to that. I'd always talk to the "offending" person first and then notify a mod if nothing happens. The exception would be posts that are very obviously meant to cause trouble, like that "invasion" thing.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I only use the button when I think I'm the first person to have viewed something out of place / wrong.

I've never used it for something I've found personally offensive or spamming otherwise...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I used the button when that shaolin dude was posting all his annoying pics everywhere. Other than that I havent used it. smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
where's this button of which you speak?

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
it's the little triangle with an ! in it. wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
oh my goodness... there's a remind me button down there too!! and a pm button... I would never have found them by myself... thx mynci... smile

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I only use it when I see a clear violation of the HoP guidelines.

I certainly wouldn't say that's 'regularly'.

Are you reporting every misplaced comma as 'not English' Dave? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Must admit I wasn't sure myself when posting a new thread if it should go in chat or discussion..

I'd smack the mod button if I saw anything really offensive to more than just me personally, or flagrant automated spam / out of place advertising etc..

I guess there hasn't been much or others beat me to it smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Never used it, dont know where it is!

But because Im rarely on here, most "bad" threads are generally gone by the time I come along.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

No- I've no problem with commas smile

By 'regularly' I don't mean 'frequently'- at a rough guess maybe once a month?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I have used it when I have seen a thread in the wrong section or something madly duplicated. I have usually asked or mentioned it to the poster first.
I would certainly use it if I found something really rude or whatever.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have used it a few times before... Only though when someone is being totally rude or aggressive to someone.... OR when someone is discussing dangerous fire practices (eg someone suggesting to use dangerous fuel etc etc...)

but thats the only times... smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I think I would only use it if someone was acting really agressive, or saying things that I could see might really upset other people and cause emotional distress. I don't generally find people's opinions here offensive, even if I don't agree with those opinions and they're being thrown about with fair amounts of force, so long as there's still respect shown for others and for individual differences.

I think quite a lot of people get confused about if their topic is chat or discussion, especially if they're new or if they don't post that often.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I've used it a few times. Half of them were for automated spam, one was someone effing and blinding every other word and the other was someone slugging out their own personal fight.

Guess that puts me in occationally.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

In my experience though a lot of threads will "sort themselves out", in that people tell others to modify posts or change the tone of their discussion to be less hostile, and most people on here are sensible and considerate enough to respond to that. I'd always talk to the "offending" person first and then notify a mod if nothing happens. The exception would be posts that are very obviously meant to cause trouble, like that "invasion" thing.

I hate to break it to you Birgit, but many don't actually "sort themselves out". We do alot of stepping in after requests have been made. We just do it behind the scenes.

I can honestly say that Dave does not, and has never, over used or misused the notify my head. In fact, I can't think of anyone who has. It's been incredibly useful for me to do my job. Even when someone alerts us about something that we decide not to change/do something about, we are immensely grateful to that person for trying. I would rather review a thread that can stay put than not be alerted and have threads that I might miss stay.

And, I use it myself.
Why?, you might ask. So that as I am perusing the threads doing stuff I can alert other mods to what I am doing when I make changes, so I can remember work I need to do if it will take more than a couple clicks at that moment.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: NYC

No- I've no problem with commas smile

By 'regularly' I don't mean 'frequently'- at a rough guess maybe once a month?

So when the dentist says "are you regularly brushing your teeth..."

wink

[I'm kidding, I'm kidding, AHHHH! STOP HITTING ME IT WAS A JOKE! GAHhHHHHhhHH!] spank

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
rolleyes Why was I expecting that one?

No need to "break it to me"... I HAVE seen, and actively participated in, many threads where people have told others that something they said was offensive, and they've apologised and edited it, within less than an hour of someone asking them to. shrug

Whenever I was involved in threads that turned into arguments, at some point the other person and me pm-ed each other to make sure there were no bad feelings, and things got settled nicely even if there was a nasty tone in the thread before. So I still believe that talking to people as a first step is the right thing to do, and in many cases effective.

Or maybe you've taken my post to say that I don't think you guys do lots of work, which of course I haven't. As I've said I have used the notify button, too, so I do realise it has a function and you react to it.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

rolleyes Why was I expecting that one?

No need to "break it to me"... I HAVE seen, and actively participated in, many threads where people have told others that something they said was offensive, and they've apologised and edited it, within less than an hour of someone asking them to. shrug

Whenever I was involved in threads that turned into arguments, at some point the other person and me pm-ed each other to make sure there were no bad feelings, and things got settled nicely even if there was a nasty tone in the thread before. So I still believe that talking to people as a first step is the right thing to do, and in many cases effective.

Or maybe you've taken my post to say that I don't think you guys do lots of work, which of course I haven't. As I've said I have used the notify button, too, so I do realise it has a function and you react to it.

Actually what I was saying is that in many of those "self settling" threads, a mod has actually stepped in behind the scenes and pm-ed people to settle down and play nice. Which means they weren't as self settling as they appeared to be.

We don't always put up a public "play nice" wink

And while we very much appreciate the community help and the self-moderation, I have also seen where attempting to placate has made a situation worse many more times than I have seen it made better.

If you, yourself are hurt, then absolutely talk it out if possible.

However, I *don't* want the mod button viewed as a last line of defense at all. It makes it seem harsh when all we usually do is talk with someone reasonably. In fact, the times when it has been used as a last ditch effort, the situation had gotten way out of hand when an earlier notification could have helped much more.

I have found that when people use it to tell us of something that is starting to flare up, or potentially looking like it will (we get alot of "you might want to keep your eyes on..." alerts) it helps to avoid issues much more effectively. I really appreciate those! wink
EDITED_BY: Pele (1162304174)

Pele

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
ah smile thanks for the clarification biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

I used the button when that shaolin dude was posting all his annoying pics everywhere. Other than that I havent used it. smile

What annoying pics...? frown

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Juxtaposeur

Written by: jo_rhymes

What annoying pics...? frown

Wow...if you missed it, you were lucky. Just some kung0fu photos that we got wall papered with. Neat at first, sucky the 80th time. No big. All done. wink

Pele

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
oh.... so not me then... biggrin

Even though I no longer go by that name! (I can't do kung fu - hence no more shaolin!)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
*finally sees the Contact Administrator button* is that what you guys are all talking about???

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

Also, are there any particular reasons why it's quite common to find new threads started in 'Discussion' which would be far more approriate in 'Chat'.

The only reason I can think of (other than making a mistake) is that maybe people are concerned that their thread, if posted in 'Chat, will quickly drop out of view, whereas 'Discussion' tends to move slower.

Well I can certainly see that in cases where you consider your thread to be ‘borderline’ you’d choose the forum that isn’t perpetually being filled with spam.

btw, what criterion do you think a Social Discussion thread requires?

The original one was:
 Written by: dom

Social Discussion is for slightly more structured threads where the poster wishes the thread to remain on topic and not contain off topic banter and one liners. It is not intended solely for intense chin stroking philosophical discussions or arguments!

(my italics)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
When there have been complaints about issues with 'chat' (such as spamming etc) I've always been supportive of good suggestions to sort them out; even though I don't personally use the 'chat' board much.

As 'Social discussion' is basically my 'home' on HOP, I have a real interest in it retaining it's integrity, which is why I do report innapropriate threads and why I initiate some threads discussing these issues.

I feel that looking after the particular board you favour/'live in' is the responsibiltiy of the people in it.

So, if there are issues with 'chat', IMO, the appropriate thing to do is to put effort into resolving them there- not by putting threads in 'Discussion' that don't belong there.

In the past, I've supported those who use 'chat' yet feel that it can, on occasion, end up being 'spammed' by overly innane posts.

As for the criteria I like to think makes a thread appropriate for 'discussion' (and these are just my feelings- I am not trying to pass them off as official guidelines):

* that it leads to a discussion- exchange of points of view, coherent reasoning etc

* that it doesn't rely on cliquism or terms/phrases/ideas that can only be related to by a core of long-term users of certain threads in other HOP boards

* that a relative newbie can read the first post and following replies and be able, if they wish, to engage with the topic

* that the initial post in the thread is clear and details what the topic/issue is and what the thread is about

* that the replies do not consist mainly of one-line comments/smilies

* a degree of politness/respect and a focus on, when dealing with issues that can be emotive, not becoming hostile/flaming

That's my view of what I like to see in 'discussion', I think that it overlaps considerably with any official statement about what 'social Discussion' is about.

Certainly I don't see it as being 'intended solely for intense chin stroking philosophical discussions or arguments...'

That can be a part of it, but, as a quick overview of the threads I've initiated will show, it is just a part.

As for 'Borderline' threads- once a thread has got a few replies, i think the question of whether it stays or gets moved, is determined as much by the content of the replies as much as that of the original post.

If those replies tend, in the main, to be non-discussion 'one-liners' or obscure references to who did what at Play/PIP/whereever, then it's likely to get shifted isn't it? smile

To that extent, it's totally up to the users of that thread whether it stays or goes.

I fully realise that some here find 'Discussion' to be overly serious/stuffy (and that some here find me to be overly serious/stuffy/arrogant etc).

That's a reflection of the diversity we have here on HOP- personally though, i think it's great that, due to the structure in place and the work of the mods/admin, that we the users, can state what we like/dislike about the boards and be part of determining their structure.

Ultimately, I feel there is a sense in which the question- 'what makes a thread appropriate/inappropriate' for 'Discussion', is, in part, influenced by the feelings of those who use it.

And part of that is by helping with the 'housekeeping', a very easy way to do that is by use of the 'notify mods' button.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
ditto

Except for the overly serious/stuffy/arrogant line, in both instances in which this description is used.

I've never used the notify mods button myself , simply because I know there's people out there who'll do it for me.

I do, however remember making a couple of impassioned pleas for the non-deletion/locking of threads that have gotten out of control.