Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Hyperloop releases [Mini meteor stuff]

Login/Join to Participate

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Ok this will suck.. But..:)

Basic idea is, doing any kind of hyperloop/airwrap and during the course of the trick release one or both poi, catch and untangle.. Or untangle and catch does not matter smile

Im using poi lenght meteors. Basically sock poi where I have two quite heavy same weight balls at both ends.

Essentialy Im now seeking some ideas. What I figured and can ALMOST do is:

1: In the middle of a side to side HL, when poi are spinning in buzsaw plane, you push and release both poi handles, one towards you, one from you. (L>R rew HL, L hand towards you, R hand away) The point is that while the heads are doing a circle in buzsaw plane, the handles are doing the same thing only flat. So you have two circles spinning.

As far as my own tips go, when tangling poi move your hands from the bottom up so that when you release the HL it wont immediately fall down. Also watch that you are not pushing the HL away from you when releasing heads.

2: Airwrap, release one poi and do a circle with the other hand, AW still in motion. Catch handle again and unwrap.

Helps to isolate with the hand holding the tangle.

As I noiced that in an AW the poi can go over or under the chain to unwrap, I have to learn the top variation and try it that way, as when I catch the handle I have to put the tangle too low, to knee level and thats UGLY smile

3: Throw one poi, then kinda whipcatch with the 2nd, tangle and untangle in mid air, catch 1st poi.. Pretty easy.. For me at least.

Might there be a possibility of throwing both poi into themselves and hoping for a tangle?

Videos will be up if there will be interest and if I somehow will be able to do these tricks so that they look like they should smile

Ideas..? smile

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Weighted Poi isn't meteor.

1]

There is no middle point in side to side hyperloop,

but in buzzsaw hyperloop. New shortcuts,

thus make it less readable.

HL - hyperloop

AW - airwarp

rew - reverse(better backward, BW)

3]

Yes, butterfly is ok.

----------

You can roll it.

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
i've played about a bit with what you're talking about, matey. i like the idea of having the buzzsaw hyperloop and releasing both handles in opposite directions ..

i like to AW (for example) on the LHS in the middle of the poi and catch the RHP in my RH so that i have both head and handle in hand, and then release the LHP so that its head is next to its handle.. then you can do lovely throws and wibbles etc.. just let go of the RHP head on the upswing and the LHP should gracefully dance into the air... (or whatever.. im sure you can think of many ways to exit..! :P )

or rev AW on the left (for example :P), let go of the RHP and do a complete revolution with the LHP. the RHP should delightfully spin around the LHP and you're about to catch the handle as it comes away from the LHP on the upswing. (it helps to add emphasis to the upswing, btw)

how about btl hyps, and releasing the poi thats entering btl from the back, so that it gets carried by the other poi such that you are able to catch the aforementioned released poi handle in your hand again.. fantastic.

variate!

many thanx for your post.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Great post White Raven, there's lots you can do with thrown/caught hyperloops.

I'm sure there are some nice variations from Monsior Bluecat on the spinnach session too but I could be wrong...

In normal L->R HL you can throw the R handle (or the L it probably doesn't matter) so it actually rotates faster than the rest of the hyperloop. The result is that is accelorates past it's original position and exits the hyperloop completely. Get the timing right and it will pop up vertically where you can catch and continue.

Buttefly hyperloops make great throwing objects. Once in the infinate buttefloop position a vertical throw is really easy, the only difficult part is getting the timing right so as they continue to rotate in the air they're in the right position when you catch the knot and you can continue butterflying.

Throwing one handle (whip stylee) is great for transitions too, you can go into a hyperloop under one leg, release one handle and bring both up through the middle then catch the handle and continue smile

Written by: WhiteRaven

Might there be a possibility of throwing both poi into themselves and hoping for a tangle?

Absolutely, you can throw one and catch the handle the same time as you enter the hyperloop. Takes a little timing but works really nicely.

There are other variations too, but keeping them clean without holding the handle as you catch/loop is really difficult unless you're great at suicides.

You can do butterfly hyperloops and throw each handle to the other hand too. Again tricky timing, if the timing isn't right their own force will pull the handles from each other, it needs to be done while the poi heads are "weightless" at the top of their circles.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
 Written by: White RaveN

Im using poi lenght meteors. Basically sock poi where I have two quite heavy same weight balls at both ends.

Written by: Richee

Weighted Poi isn't meteor.

It depends on the weight. If the weight is the same at both ends, it is then a meteor. If the ends are both weighted but the difference is say handle is 1/3 of the head weight, it is still poi as I see it.

Love the idea Raven smile I've been playing with a butterfly airwrap that you can throw mid tangle, land and exit.

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
something else i've played about with, is one handed butterflies, releasing one and whip-catching it with the other, then grabbing the handle again to be able to enter one handed butterfly again..

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Hi there todd long time no see
Now to the subject at hand
I can do basic throws and catches with my poi but having just tried a hyperloop release (many many time) I cant seem to stop the released poi being catapulted across the room.
Any hints or ideas.
And don't say practice coz thats a given.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Shen Shui, I've been doing that move for a year or two now, check out the falmouth 3 vid.

Dizzypheonix - try to isolate the loop very slightly as you let go of the poi, that should keep it in front of you.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
yes, adding emphasis to the upswing helps, too.

beth: neat. smile

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Great ideas people smile

Ok, so far I can catch the double released HL.. I found its better to keep it in the air for a full beat (both handles go a full circle and get caught by the same hand) as that gives you enought time to realize how to catch.. but that thing is DAMN hard:) even with meteor poi..

I tried some releases in bt HL but as I cannot do it very nicely its not that easy.. maybe in time smile

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Air-wrap throw followed by a whip catch. the whip catch is untidy though (for me).

Another thought: from split time duel wibbles, throw/wibble one poi into the other and whip catch it?

Reading that again makes little sense to me. I'l try get a vid (need a camera and lots of practice!)

Great thread!

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
WOFT - airwrap suicide into whip catch is lots of fun! smile

Split time wibbles into whip catch would be very difficult. Whip catches are all about timing and planes and getting either of them perfect in split time double wibbles is hard enough. Worth a try... but i dont think it would work, not cleanly anyway.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
cheers still having some dificulites but i'm geting closer.
I think I'll be able to get it now.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Beth: Airwrap suicide is a nice name! never heard it though. Been tryng the wibble whip catch but not getting anywhere. double wibbles still need more work.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.