Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Any thoughts on what might happen if an unlit staff was thrown (in a burnoff fashion) into the flames of a lit staff doing a burnoff? Or evan just burning off two staff simultaneously?

I really like the idea of standing between two firebreathers, throwing my unlit staff into their fire balls and adding to them with my paraffin spray. Boom! biggrin

Ideas and safety concerns welcome.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

fireinspiredBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
i wud have thought that if the staff dusnt ignite till it reaches the other two burn offs, then by that time there might be quite a large mist beneathe it which wud then mean a fireball travels towards the person din the burn off, might be wrong tho, just a thought.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I have been caught in a fire ball caused by a person trying to light my poi with a staff burn off. I was lucky as it had been pouring down with rain all evening so I was soaking wet. I got away with a few very minor steam burns. I hate to think what could have happened if I'd been dry.

This is not something I would recommend trying.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

329 posts

Posted:
Yes, but then I wouldn't recommend that anyone tried a normal burnoff, getting caught in a fireball sucks. Glad to hear you escaped relatively unscathed. hug

How were you trying to light your poi from a burnoff? I'm assuming whilst swinging them overhead, but I'd be interested in knowing the full story.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I wasn't trying to. I was trying to get them lit by someone using a rope dart but when they didn't catch another person decided he could do it faster with a burn off and he knelt at my feet and did a staff burn off before I even really knew what was happening. I was therfore engulfed in a ball of flames. Sometimes what seems like a fantastic idea really shouldn't be tried out. He made a mistake and I luckly got out of it only slightly burned.

I really strongly suggest you do not try standing between to fire breathers. Firstly fire breathing is a very risky art in itself. Putting you in the middle of two fire breathers and you throwing a heavily loaded staff into the flames to make a larger flame... well it just sounds like madness to me.

I'm sure you will get others coming here and poo pooing me as over careful, but... well lets put it this way. Been there, done that, not eager to revisit.

329 posts

Posted:
No, no, no, you can't be too careful when playing with 20 foot pillars of flame and I appreciate the feedback. Your story is exactly the sort of stupidity I want to avoid. No planning, no real knowledge of what your doing and no respect for anyones safety. You were very lucky.

What I'm planning is an investigation into burnoffs, fireballs and paraffin spray and how these elements interact to produce different effects. I'm designing a rig to hold staffs whilst they are doing burnoffs started at a distance with a ripcord and looking into other ways to produce fireballs at a distance. Hopefully I'll learn something in the process even if I end up deeming the whole thing too dangerous to try for real.

However if I end up trying this for real I'm fully aware that I can't make it safe.

So.... Given the above which I really should have made clear from the start.... redface

I'm looking for peoples experiences/stories/ideas about how fireballs interact with each other and unburnt clouds of paraffin spray.

LSKmember
66 posts

Posted:
I don't have any experience with the kraziness you're talking about, but I have a few concerns about using an unlit staff from a purely technical standpoint.

To get the best burnoff flares I find the staff has to be burning for a little while (presumably to heat up the parafin making it less viscous and so more prone to forming a nice mist/vapour)

sooo....

If the staff was unlit when spin then would it even work?

Lx

329 posts

Posted:
Honest answer. I don't know, but then that's why I'm doing this. biggrin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

Sometimes what seems like a fantastic idea really shouldn't be tried out. He made a mistake and I luckly got out of it only slightly burned.

I remember hearing a very worried shriek down af Fal, and saw a flash out of my eye at the last Fal that was actually in Fal... that was it right?

Scary stuff... burnoffs shouldn't be messed aroundwith... especiallyp not with fire breathing.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Yep, that was it FRD, but I don't recall shrieking. I kept my mouth and eyes tightly closed when the flames reached my head. It all went in slow motion for me inside the flames. The flames attached to me about mid shin and I watched it roll up my full body length. In reality it must of taken a few seconds but to me I can remember exactly every millisecond as if it were a minute. It was a very odd sensation that didn't really scare me until it reached my face, when it did it was very freaky and scary and thats when I shut my eyes and mouth. I don't recommend having your head inside a fire ball. It wasn't fun.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Saw a multi-staff burnoff at one of the conventions here in ireland where the three staffers stood in a triangle with their staffs held out to form a wider triangle.
all burnt off at the same time.....WHOOOSH!

The flame from the double pillars at each corner combined to form a massive blast of flame. I reckon this happened cos the fuel which might not normally burn and just get spun away had to travel through so much extra superheated air, leading to a total burn off of all the fuel

The corner pillars then combined above the staffers heads to form a brief lived mushroom cloud, out of which reeled three very dazed staffers, wondering where all the extra flame had come from.

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
https://www.eldsjal.org/movies/salza/battle_stockholm_2.mov

check out that burnoff.
he has really big cathedrals and a normal chain.
then he gets the chain to twist so that when he spins the poi the outward force makes the head spin.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

329 posts

Posted:
@squarefish- Thankyou for the story, exactly the sort of thing I'm interested in. Plus I'm working on a three person staff routine at the moment.
There's always a lot of unburnt paraffin floating around after a burnoff and I feel it's being wasted. Burnoff synergy!

@ficklampa- Cool video, and a technique I'd not seen before. Cheers! I don't do much poi so I'm going to get a friend to play guinea pig. devil

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: squarefish

The flame from the double pillars at each corner combined to form a massive blast of flame. I reckon this happened cos the fuel which might not normally burn and just get spun away

yeah I do notice a lot of unburnt fuel when I burn off, most of it failing down as mist onto me and my glasses. And any fuel that isn't burnt is obviously a total waste of good fuel... I'd never thought about it before, but I might try some stupid stuff at BM...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
saw a vid of you (chrono and meg and strugz) doing silly burnoffs in a warehouse in leeds - last week i think - is that the result of this thread?
i guess that was parrafin on the cieling, i loved the palm spin throw up woooooosh bit. i sort of wondered if you had used that magicians burnoff paper stuff which gives a flash and nothing is left behind... if you didn't use that, or havent heard of it, maybe you could experiment with using it to light staffs, i was interested when i saw it but i soon forgot about it. you could throw a fireball from yourhand to the staff end or something, ryu stylee...

329 posts

Posted:
I was shown some flash paper last week! Interesting stuff. It might light a warm, redipped wick. I'll have to try it. smile

Nope, no paraffin on the ceiling. Just the flame that normally rises off the staff hitting the ceiling and spreading sideways. It looks so crazy because of the night vision mode used by the camera whilst shooting.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hey hey

burn offs are one of my favorite subjects...

at the dublin jusggling convention this year i was a party to the triple burnoff. i.e. three staffs forming a triangle.

we kept the staffs low so all the fuel would spin off in the same place and ignite. this means you get a bigger fireball at the base and the heat drives the flame up for a higher burn off...

The resulting fireball was so big it engulfed the three of us and warmed the faces of people at least 20ft away. Apparently it looked like an atomic explosion. massive. My staff came back so hot (in the middle!!) that it burned my hand and my face felt like it was sun burned for the rest of the night. It was awesome. Dangerous... but awesome.

The couple of hundred strong audience went completly bananas.

I'd like to think im fairly good at burn offs. without wind i can get a good two story hourse sized fire ball... but its not all fun and games.

At the galway juggling convention this year the wind changed direction in the middle of my burn off. We were using a cheap and nasty red kero and the flame came back straight into my face. Its hotter than straight parafin. Usually a burn off is gone as fast as you see it. It might singe you a little but i've never felt in serious danger before. So it didnt take me long to realise that the fireball around my face should be gone by now. I dropped (fell really) to the ground, flat on my ass basicly, and put my face and hair out. Then i just sat there for a minute. Strangley it still felt like i was on fire, even when it was gone... I got back up and finished the show... Show must go on right...

The wind most likely blew some of the fuel onto my face also... this often happens to people when they throw the staff 'up' instead fo keeping it low for a burn... the fuel ignited...

I ended up in tears later. I was in shock for the rest of the night and even now it makes me uneasy to think about it.

Burns offs are so cool. But theres always the chance...

If anyone is in ireland for it... Im doing a burn off workshop at the tralee juggling convention this year...

smile
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1157107180)

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Written by: squarefish

The flame from the double pillars at each corner combined to form a massive blast of flame. I reckon this happened cos the fuel which might not normally burn and just get spun away

yeah I do notice a lot of unburnt fuel when I burn off, most of it failing down as mist onto me and my glasses. And any fuel that isn't burnt is obviously a total waste of good fuel... I'd never thought about it before, but I might try some stupid stuff at BM...

Try just getting the staff to spin along its own axis in the same place. if the staff rises to much it just spins off the fuel in a place where there is no flame. I get it by keeping my bottom hand ridgid and squezing and pushing witht he top hand as hard s i can. If you push hard. you should be able to jsut grab the staff when your arms reaches its extension. so you can grab it from above rather than trying to catch it from under. this seems to be required coz if you get it right you wont be able to see the staff...

but you wont get and excess fuel... or a flaming face....

Love is the law.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Ado, that sounds quite scary eek hug

Aside from all the dangerous stuff, would a staff catch fire quickly if it was in motion, or would it be a nice burn-off with the excess fuel actually burning, and the staff itself not getting lit?

Too much thought for my poor little brain on a Friday!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Yar,
heard about that one Ado, didn't sound nice at all, glad to know yer ok.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
do people do contact straight out of the burn off throw? sounds sketchy but i reckon it'd look crazy...
that shots mad chrono, was there any oxygen left in the room afterwards?

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ficklampa

https://www.eldsjal.org/movies/salza/battle_stockholm_2.mov

check out that burnoff.
he has really big cathedrals and a normal chain.
then he gets the chain to twist so that when he spins the poi the outward force makes the head spin.

LOL! A fire spinning "dance-off"!!!! Well I never! ROFL!! YOU GOT SERVED!!!!

I love the burn off he did. Looks like he kicked the poi to get the spin. Very cool!

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

Nadojourneyman
61 posts

Posted:
Ive seen it done one staff being lit off the burn off of another staff it was very cool, i cant remember exactly how it was done though.

I've also seen someone light one side of their staff of the burnoff of the other side, ive tried it a couple of times but with no luck.