poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
OK, i can do some moves like chasing the sun, butterfly, weave, change direction, halo, corkscrew and figure of 8, but i need some new ones. Bear in mind that *CRY* i can't do behind the back stuff and all the HOP videos from now on lose me. (I can also nearly do an airwrap) weavesmiley weavesmiley

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
hello - i've only been poing for a few months, but this is what im up to:

im trying to extend my moves - so with butterfly i did butterfly turn , angel wings (over the head), giant butterfly , alternate butterfly (left arm over shoulder for 1 beat then back, then right arm over shoulder for 1 beat then back then repeat), one handed butterfly (can be easier to hold the handles rather than put them through your fingers) and alternate hip reels .

um for the weave the fountain is absolutely lush - took me about 2 weeks to learn it but its great - its like a circle of circles - see the fountain thread that shouldnt be too far down on this forum. im currently trying to do 5 beat weave which will be good when i get it and then reverse of that (the idea is to keep the left arm under the right for an extra beat on the right side and vice versa).

turns like hip reel turns and basic turns ooo and tuck turn (love that one).

windmill which is doing split time same direction circles in front of you then making one follow the other over and behind the head, then infront...then behind etc...

if you feel like venturing into behind the back stuff then the btb 3 beat weave i've found the easiest once i figured out where my hands had to go (try without pois first as when they tangle it makes you more and more fustrated! and also you get ur arms stuck behind your back lol. you may have to bend and swivel around alot - i do - especially with my led pois coz im scared they're going to whack my head!

ooo and dont forget buzzsaw (wrap the cord/chain around your arms to make them do smaller circles) then you can do most if not all of these moves mini style!

im working on some of these - especially hip reel turns - they look so easy and yet my arms just wont turn the way i want them to!

also - is halo the butterfly above your head? - i can do that but i never knew the name!

i find doing everything in reverse and turning with them makes you feel that you can do it more freely and can sort of dance which feels great!

hope that helps, i'll check this thread later if theres anything i've put that's confused you.

happy poing...infact i should go out and practice these now!

nat

p.s. if you want to do fountain, i found playing the mediacircus clip from the fountain thread in slow motion (i.e. frame by frame) helped a lot. weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: buggleberry_fairy (1150998177)

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
I just learnt to hyperloop....

learn that..

erm...try extending the familys you have got and make sure you can do everything forwards and in reverse.

1,590 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the posts, I'll try to do fountain as the name sounds cool!
Halo is butterfly over head-see my gallery for a good pic of one.
Normally, for me, if i'm stuck on a trick, i wont practice it for a week or more, and next time you do it, it suddenly clicks and wahey!!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

172 posts

Posted:
good luck! and yay i now have a name for the move i was doin - 'halo' sounds really cool! - and goes with angel wings ironically lol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
try [Old link] and [Old link]

on the second link, try googling Home of poi for more info on moves you need clarification for. smile hope that helps.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

1,590 posts

Posted:
Ah, i have a problem. I've just realised i can't do reverse weave! All the forums for it, personally, i can't understand! That'll delay my fountain fondness!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

172 posts

Posted:
ok reverse 3bt weave...

try starting on the opposite side to the way you start for the forward weave (for me this was on my left). you still begin with left over right, but as its on the other side of you, it makes the circles go the other way.

so start a backwards circle with your left following with your right, so your arms cross to right over left

then whilst your left is coming up on the second backwards circle, bring it across to do a circle on your right, then your right hand follows

then when the left hand's on top of the right (at the end of the first right circle) then bring the right over to the left side with your left hand following

even though thats 2 circles both sides for the left hand, when you go back to the left side, then you only do one circle. i just find that doing the two circles to begin with helps to start the rythym

also, try practicing your hand movements without the pois to work out where the pois are going

hope that helps - i'll try and word it another way or break it down a bit more if you need it

once you've worked out the reverse 3 bt then when you go on to 5bt etc then its easier to work out.

good luck!

1,590 posts

Posted:
Thanks, i'm gonna need lots of practice lol!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

172 posts

Posted:
happy to help wink