Forums > Social Chat > whats your twirling style?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
my style is very much like a dance. i bellydance so i incorporate this into twirling.i've been told i am very fluent.i like to spin and twirl pretty slowly.i'm not one of those twirlers that are all energetic and fast.i have seen some great twirling styles.i think people need to find a style that suits them.one guy i have seen was very zen like. totally suited him.i'm an obsessive firedancer. i carry my poi around with me every where.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Hey Amber, I have to ask, could you describe what it means to twirl zen like? I am trying to form a picture in my head and it is totally eluding me. confused As for myself, I am still developing my style... Both fast and slow depending on mood. When I spin on my breaks at work I dont have any music except for the cars that go by, and today I was grooving to some spanish music! I like! Serious hip action there. ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Hey Amber,Your style sounds like Flashfire's (also posts here), she's done belly dancing and gets a sassy 'hip thing' going down.As for me someone once described it as being intense and scary. I'm not really a dancer and so I was tending to be alittle more 'pattern' orientated, ie go through moves and build to harder moves and build up speed as I went. Having now witnessed some gals really dancing and moving fluidly (?) I'm starting to feel the beat a little and get a little more finesse to how I move.I guess I like people to be impressed and a little captivated (unable to look away) so I tend to look a little fierce and move in an 'attacking every move' kind a way but I love every second wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - It's kinda hard to define your own style...hmm...I could describe every other fire twirlers style I know, but mine? here goes..I Try to move with the Rythm, as I dance to Trance or Tribal trance (live percussion with flute) I try to build my moves around the crecendos and low parts in the music...I also try to flow through moves really quickly - I'm attempting to get to a stage with my twirling where I never repeat a move - just flowing through moves continuously, building complexity, speed and movement in time with the phrasing of the music...How close I actually am to that goal, well - It's hard for me to say - some of the firedancers on here who have seen me twirl might be able to give me a better picture?I think I have a long way to go smile - and I like it that way...Josh

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I try to be very fluid, make it look effortless, when i spin i take on a very meditative posture.give like raindrop strike like thuderstorm.Ah yes grasshoppah, this the way of Poi. grin------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Josh is right, it's very hard to define your own style. So, i'll try to define the other HOPers that I've seen in action:Josh: technically great, very fluid, lots of body movement, dances with the poi. I'd give a better description, but the one time I saw him twirling was at a doof and i was slightly, ummmm, unable to really focus. grinFinn: beautiful, graceful, sensuous, feminine. lots of signature moves, really beautiful handwork, so fluid. makes everything look so easy.Frenzie: fast and fluid, limber and kinda cheeky. She's got some wicked moves and looks pretty sex when she's poiing. great to twirl with as she has a good understanding of space and complementary moves.Bezerker: so so fast. He's like a warrior! Intense, focused, unstoppable. Bezerker is the most talented fire artist I've met. He can play with any toy and make it look great.Bobrob: the most technically correct poier I have ever seen. amazing wrist flexibility. he can twirl so slow it's hard to believe the poi stay in motion. he can also twirl quickly and fluidly. a master in the making.flash fire: ?? I'm just me.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
woohoo!cool descriptions Flash smilepretty spot on if I dont say so myself winkGo Team! Josh

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
grin makes me wanna move down under.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
My style is the same of the music im listening to. If its fast, i tend to use moves that look really cool with alot of speed. With slower songs, i do the corkscrew alot, and alot of turns. Basically the music is my style.[This message has been edited by Phyzerium (edited 08 May 2001).]

Pain is pleasure.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i'm with phyzer. whatever the music calls for. but i most enjoy slower movements. i find them more sexy, especially a hot poier chick.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I guess we really can't judge how we look unless we see ourselves on tape. Like others, I think my style depends a lot on the music. After one performance, I was very flattered when a fellow twirler told me "you look like you're having sex with the fire". On another occasion, another twirler told me "you're kind of hyperactive--I can't always tell what you're doing."I guess I do have certain moves, certain ways of doing moves, and give more or less priority to some common moves, and these will hold true in general--I guess that's the constant part of style.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 08 May 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I agree that music will change the flow, speed and atmosphere of a person's twirling, but I don't agree that it changes the individual's style. Style is essence. I believe that my twirling is an extension of my personality - vivacious, cheeky and tempting (and tempramental?? wink ). No matter what music I am listening to, I am still flash fire.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have a Pele kind of style!!! grinThat, my dears, is the best explaination that I can give with the exception that I love to keep the flames close to my body..ie: very short chains and lots of wraps. My friends saw me really into the fire for the first time over the past two weekends (alot of my more recent shows have been more local, which is new for me) and I don't really practice in front of them lit. A couple were scared for me and a few commented about how enamored and comfortable I am with the fire..as if it is nothing at all. Then again, my housemates freak because I have the same non-chalance about when our stove burner catches fire or when one of them accidentally set a plastic trash can aflame in our living room. No big deal. I really do love fire, and I am thrilled that it shows.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 08 May 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Hhhmmm .... It's a hard one, coz I cant see my style from the outside... I'd love to hear people's opinion of it though!

I think (this my seem strange) but not only does it change with different music and stuff, I think my style changes with different clothes/costume that I'm wearing (and not coz it's restricting or anything) Just the feeling of different outfits... like if I'm wearing something pixie-ish I'll dance pixie... if I've got a jingley belly belt on It'll be all belly dancy... Then funky clothes make me dance funky... hee hee... I think I just fully get into character or something???

But generally I'd love to hear what an outside perspective on my twirling style is like

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ill slow it down with the music but most of the time i spin very aggressively, but i keep it smooth and consistant. Almost like im venting something.

S'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
i tend to spin with the music ive got on, like if im listening to slower stuff i keep my chains at full length, but if ive got something hard and fast on, i wrap my chains around my hands until they get real short like and go nuts.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
my style is to dance freely to the song that's playing, whatever it is. luckily i have a BIG library of moves to choose from, with lots of practice on all the transitions, so i can just dance freely and throw in some cool moves in there to make the crowd go ooooh....my movements are coincidentally a lot like liquid dancing, but just because the rattlesnake is one of my totems, annd i dance like a snake when i really like the music. i also do pantomime and tai chi, so they are in there as well. also, like pele, i like to bring the flames right on in there. i use HUGE wicks, probably a 2 or 3 foot flame when they are fresh, and i like to bring it all around my body and bathe in it. just hold your breath, and don't gat too attached to having body hair!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I just do the weave - really fast!!

Meh

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I don't bellydance by any means but I like to move around a lot when I poi. Looks so much better than just standing still.

Hey Cantus, I can do that one too!!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm not very graceful and I can't bend over backwards. I'm a pretty solidly-built muscly guy, so I don't have a lot of room in which to move around inside the poi. I move around a lot in that I'm always spinning and jumping and moving back and forth, but my body tends to stay straight.

I stick mostly to weave-based moves since I find that they are smoother and more fluid and they allow me to move around a lot more, although I throw in butterfly-based moves from time to time for accent.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I can do the tripple corkscrew bash-the-side-of-your-face-in flip over, fall in mud and stink the rest of the day move =)...

But I guess from what people that have seen me spin have told me I really move around alot. I guess I do that so I can make my transisitions smoother from plane to plane.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
wardance! Raindance! Sundance! Pathworking!

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
shit thats a point, i dont know cos i've never seen myself. But i got told i should try and concentrate on an oriental element i've subconsciouly put in. Apparently, sometimes it looks like i'm doing tai chi with my staff, all fluid and stuff. To the extent my boyf bought me a chinese dress to practise in.

hopefully this will influence me, i dunno but my bro was taking the piss and calling me the karate kid...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I also do the weave really fast, exept I move my feet some

Jesus helps me trick people.

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
i gotta say that my style is that of a stall master. remember tho, i use glowstix. still haven't been able to afford my fire set.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
druken boxing.
without the boxing :/

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I second that for Bender...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My post was referring to an old post that most of you wont have seen.

In reality if i do the weave too fast it tends to clip my head on an irregular basis....

Meh

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
My style is 'Nuts', and not just when I hit myself! I throw my entrie body into my poiing. (by the way, is poiing a real word?) I cartwheel, wrap, jump, walk, duck, dodge and bend all through my twirling. I find that it adds a whole new dimention to the experience, I've had comments from others saying that I don't care if I hurt myself and I look like a psycho (in a good way). I tell them that I do care if I hit myself but I accept that it is a possibility and I live with it.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Hey Amber, pretty poi girl!

From the outside your style looks really bouncey and bubbley! (mostly when doing butterfly mooves) I find it energizing to watch, you've got a really funky groove. And in your long pretty skirts you look really graceful at the same time....

And guys, yep, she does carry her poi everywhere! Where there's Fire there's Shanna (sorry I mean Amber) and she never stops! I guess I used to be like that too. I remember never wanting to stop twirling and just twirling all night! untill I run out of fuel... Hmmmmm I could do with another twirl like that!
.:* Goes off to find her fire toys *:.

Amber, read your personal messages sweety! Haven't seen you in ages... hope to catch up soon!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
i do strange stuff like doing the splits and bending over backwards whilst twirling. quite bizzare, really.

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

Page: