Forums > Social Chat > Lord of the rings, The twin Towers. Have you seen it yet?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am a huge fan of the books, and have read all of JRR's books at least 6 times each, his son's books continuing the theme once each, if not more. I have even written uni thesis papers on them for lit class and sociology class. I am a big fan of the books and I loved the movies. I *know* that there is no perfection in the movies. I *know* that to truly present these books in thier entirety would take time and budget that simply can't be done at this point, so for what has been attempted, I am thrilled. Obviously there are things I didn't like but on the whole I am pleased and am looking forward to the third one.
What I enjoyed most is that I got to go to a preview showing, where it was filled with die hard fans and thier dates at an obscene hour of the night (we got out at 3:30 am). Because pretty much everyone in the theater was a fan, we all had this connection so to speak. For the hour and a half we waited for the movie we were all talking and joking and it really made the environment alot of fun.
That and I kicked the guy's butt behind me in the game 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon , and my best friend and I were 2 of about 15 girls in a 200 person theater!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I only have this to say: OH MY FUCKING GOD, I LOVE IT!!!

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
shaun, sweetie, it was Rohan... she's a shield-bearer of Rohan, not Gondor

[ 23. December 2002, 18:17: Message edited by: Nyx ]

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Joe Hmember
4 posts

Posted:
Still not out in Australia

He does not possess wealth; it possesses him

Joe Hmember
4 posts

Posted:
Still not out in Australia

He does not possess wealth; it possesses him

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
ah yes, you are correct, but I believe it might have even been shield-maiden??? I couldn't remember, I was too choked up. . .

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Shaun, you're going to have to fight me for Eoywn.

Draw yer sword!
Non-Https Image Link

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Go ahead, fight for Eowyn...just save Legolas for me!

My thesis for Soc, Shaun, you might have been interested in. I broke down and explained how Tolkien took basic human characteristics and inserted them as a dominant characteristic for a race, which when combining the races collectively, made Middle Earth on the whole to have very humanistic depth.

For example..The dwarves on the whole have stubborn pride as one of their most prevelant traits. The elves are logically realistic to the point of seeming indifference. The hobbits have cheerful optimism. Gollum (LOVED HIM in the movie!!!) is greed incarnate. Etc....
As humans we all have these in varying degree. In my thesis I was able to prove how Tolkein extracted the traits from humans, made them predominant in a specific race so that when all the races came together, it was like being locked inside someone's head. Therefore, Middle Earth itself is very human.
It worked. I received the highest grade in the class and the only perfect score that teacher had handed out thusfar in his career!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
Paddy:
"You are ready then,"

"Whether I am or not, you've been more than fair."

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."

"Begin!"

(c'mon you gotta know what that's from... )

Pele: Would you be willing to let me read it, I would be most honored. Do you by chance have it online?

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

884 posts

Posted:
feeling sheepish

erm...I don't actually! Probably something I've seen and forgotten. What is it from?

This is something that's become relevant again...thought I'd give it a repost. 'Tis a mock script of the Fellowship of the Ring, and 'tis trés hilarious. I'm hoping the same author does one for the Two Towers. I was at my desk and probably fell out of my chair at least three times while reading it.

Did anyone notice that the nazgul beasts (can't remember their name) look just like John Howe's interpretation of them in his paintings? I knew he was involved with the movie a bit, but now I'm wondering if he was primary creative director or something along those lines.

Those things rocked, by the way.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
does anyone wonder why the nazgul didn't ride dragons? whatever happened to them? they were certainly used in all of the other wars in middle earth...
to anyone that hasn't read the silmarillion... fly you fools! fly to your local library!!!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
Dude, The Princess Bride. tsk, tsk...

and yes, arashi is totally correct, go read the silmarillion, it is magnificient.

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
For anyone thats interested, we're organising a Melbourne HoP meetup to see LOTR2 thursday. Keep eyes peeled to the melbourne workshop thread!

Hoping to meet some of ya!

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
one word...wow!!

i saw it a few days ago and i thought it was amazing! the best bit it definatly the battle scene (you ALL know which one im talking about!) its amazing but i do have 2 qualms about it....

1)right...at trhe start gandalf was fighting the lava monster thingy...he then fell into a river....right?.....so how the hell did he 'somehow' get up a mountain to carry on fighting?!?!?!? what? huh? ...he was in a river.....on the ground....and majikly 'appeared' up a mountain...what??

2) yes...of course...aragorn and gimly could so easily walk out of the back door of the castle and take on more or less THE ENTIRE ORC ARMY!!! yes....of course they could.......my arse!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Go Smeigal!

Fab, fab, fab!

Was very impressed.

Now have Matrix:reloaded to look forward to

Now that's what I'm talkinabout

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
*****spoilers below*****

I saw the two towers a few days ago.

A few problems stood out:

Rohan is supposed to be a pretty place on the side of a mountain where the horse-lords come and go. In the movie, it looks like they are goat-herders with a population of 90% senior citizens

Faramir was handled badly, so too was a river city in Gondor which looked more like the Gaza strip.
The men of Gondor acted less like thugs in the books.

While the gruff side of Gimli is portrayed in the movie, they use him too much for comic relief.

Legolas "skating" down the steps while shooting orcs I'm sure made all the skate-rats happy, but to me it was just a promo for whatever video games come out after this movie.

On the plus side:

The Battle of Helm's Deep was fun. I didn't look at my watch, but it must have been about 40 minutes long.

Smeagle is handled well...you pity him because after all, he is just a pawn of the ring.

I loved the Ents, though I don't remember them being as numerous in the books.

All in all, it was a fun movie.

Raph

884 posts

Posted:
UCOF...what the movie doesn't show is that Gandalf's fight with the Balrog is acutally an epic ten-day battle, during which the pair climbed the Endless Stair (which was largely forgotten by the world's inhabitants and thought to exist only in folklore) from the bottom of Khazad Dum (the big pit) to the top of the mountain.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ahhhhhh! so thats where i went wrong...

i think i timed the battle of helms deep near enough (i got so engrossed in the plot that i forgot about my watch!) and i think it lasted about 30 mins...however....the actual screen time came to about 10 mins...so im guessing that the battle was over in 10 mins....(bit of a short battle wasnt it!?!!!)

but i agree...it was amazingly well done. I loved the bit where the ents head was on fire and he dived into te water...that was rather jovial and made me chortle quietly to myself.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Have now watched FOTR 3 times and TT twice. I love it so, so much.

To be honest, I couldn't stand reading the books. The first volume is ok but TT just becomes a harder and harder read. I've decided not to read Return of the King before I see the movie, so as not to spoil it.

Magnus... pay it forward

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
saw film, me like film, me think film supurb. but saw film with brother, he anoying he read books he says
that the secound film only goes about 2/3 of the way through the secound book and that in the book the elves never fight at that battle!
oh well, i did enjoy the big battle must say the elf flying down the stair was very XXX but who cares its great to watch!! very impresed with speed of firing though!! wonder if thats a trick or if he really could move that fast? even if not acurate it is bloody hard to do.
and the gimley and strider bit at the gate is possible because there the heores, and they can do things like that, stop trying to pick holes in the story, for f^&K SAke how often do you meet a ork to know how good a sword fighter they are, or a bulrog, or tree spirits and dwarfs!!!

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
well..... i myself am a dwarf.....i know lots of people that collect orcs (and orks as well), theres a tree spirit at the end of my garden and i also have a bulrog who lives in my little finger...his name is nigel. he is funny. we talk and talk and talk for hours...i often get funny looks walking down the street taalkig to my finger but no more than usual.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
loveditloveditlovedit
gollum/smeagal shism scene was my favourite!

not enough lightsabers tho

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
GREAT movie! I especially liked Gollum/Smeagol. Wow, really great. Yeah, it had some "Hollywood" moments, but wow...great.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
LOL at UCOF!!!!!!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Frodo has failed

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Saw it, loved it. As has already been said, I thought there was too much emphasis on Helms Deep and not enough on Eisengaard. Gollum was absolutely awesome - take note George Lucas, THAT is how you make a CGI character believeable!

Whoever it was that said the films should be 1.5 hours long - you're bloody mad! They've already left out loads of plot while the films are 3 hours! Find a cinema that does intervals, or try and develop a longer attention span.

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I agree with the smeagle CGI work. He looked great!
Lucas should have made sure that Yoda in CGI looked that good....or even that it looked the same as puppet Yoda!

Farscape did better with Rigel and they don't have the budget you do, George!

Raph

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I saw it the other day and it kicked much ass.btw who is peter jackson? smeagle was the best character in my opinion.I am goin back to see it again tonight.wooo
I heard that the voice actor for smeagle is up for an oscar.
OH NO NOT GEORGE DUBYA!!!!!!!!!!! we must cast him into the muontain.
to any gument officials I do not really want to caast GW into the fire.

[ 10. January 2003, 08:26: Message edited by: vaperloc ]

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

Page: