Page:
N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Ok here's a question for the masses.What's your all time favorite movie and why???Some one once told me that the movies we enjoy tell us a lot about eachothers personalities, well, if you could pick one flick (ok maybe two) what would it/they be?My all time fav. movie is THE CROW. hands down. gothic love story, killer actor, tons of awesome quotes, a damn cool super hero costume- and the most beautiful movie premise (at least in my eyes) that love is stronger than death.sigh... I love that flick.How 'bout you guys? Any timeless favorites you can think of?------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I don't have a favourite movie. I have many.My favourites include Fight Club, Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, Gone in 60 Seconds, Little Nicky, Austin Powers, Go, and others I can't remember.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
ooooooo good question. well the tape i watch most is No Doubt live in the Tragic Kingdom. but that doesnt' really count does it?(as n8 would call me....Psychotically Obesessed!)my fav movie is Gone in 60 Seconds. you can't beat sweet fast cars, and the biggest reason i love the movie, ANGELINA JOLIE!!!(god she's hot!!) i have a feeling this will soon be replaced with Tomb Raider!!(june 15th)my second fav would have to be Empire Records smile------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Blade Runner directors cut.why?aside from the AWESOME acting, and the stunning photography, the soundtrack is simply superb, the sound effects give so much atmosphere...but the best thing about it? You are forced to THINK about it. you dont get it unless you use your nogin smile The movie also leaves you with interesting feelings...juxtaposed industrial darkness with the light of the human spirit, love and innocence...I could talk about this movie. but I wont. I think I might watch it tonight tho smile)Josh-Like tears in flame.[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 24 April 2001).]

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Very difficult question this one. So I'll give you my fave 10Recent films I would choose1. Being John Malcovitch2. Fight Club3. The Killer4. Brazil5. The Princess Bride6. The Pillow BookOld Movies7. Breakfast at Tiffany's8. An Affair to Remember9. Gone With the Wind10.It happened one nightThere are dozens of other films I adore but these are ones that come to mind when I think of 'favourite'films.I also love the Crow, The Matrix, Austin Powers and Monty Phython stuff.As for all time cheesy movie I love: Throw up between dirty dancing or pretty women, oh the '80's was the best for feel good cheesy movies!Favorite foreign films 1.The Killer and 2.Rashomon, by two of my fave directors.Scariest Horror Movie Ever: The Ring, I couldn't sleep for a week and had nightmares whenever we did, at the end of a week of no sleep I could have sworn I could see the scary Sadako. What a psychological mind job that film was.N8 see what you started, I could drone on forever!Kat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

firecirclemember
6 posts

Posted:
My favorite movie of all time is Fight Club!!!! I just love the whole idea of pushing yourself to extreme limits and then some. The movie is so twisted psycologically. The first time I saw it, it had me totally fooled. It's the best.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i dont go see a lot of movies...when i do they are cartoons.by circumstances i wont relate the last movie i saw on video was disney's hurcules which had the best line in it by Hades "IS MY HAIR OUT?!?!!?" winkI've only said that a FEW times.crouching tiger hidden dragon was my other favorite real movie lately.Pere

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I'm not saying its the best but ONE of the best films I have ever seen was FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS Was wickedpeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Not got one, but several.The Matrix (makes you think doesnt it?)Fight club,Grease (pure cheese & John Travolta),Skywest and crooked (old English film about a young, emotionally disturbed woman who falls in love with a gypsy, teaches alot about prejudice),The lion king (cried),The fifth element,Brazil,Silence of the lambs (and Hannibal)The green mile,Twelve monkeys (all that chaos from a joke!)The british gangster film where Brad Pitt is Mikey the pikey (lol)X men (mmm Wolverine)Too many morre that i cant remember. I love films!Oh gosh I just realised there is not a single comedy film in my list. Maybe I've got a sense of humour problem, HELP!! smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 27 April 2001).][This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 27 April 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Hey thistle, that british gangster film you're talking about is snatch. I like that movie as well

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... I would have to say.... The Matrix. Why? Because I love the fast martial arts, weaponry, and the everso cool hackery. smile ~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

Bobmember
8 posts

Posted:
I couldn't pinpoint one single fav movie, But a few of my favorites are The Matrix(I really hope the sequel is good too), American Beauty, and Monty Python stuff.Oh yeah, i just saw Snatch the other day and it was really good also.~Bob[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 25 April 2001).]

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm...The documentary "Crumb"..."Gummo".... hate to say it, but I'll always love "Dazed and Confused"... "Akira" and...erm...."The Blues Brothers" and "Stripes."

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
this is one of those love hate questions...i love it because my fiance and i are movie watching freAKS, but i hate it because its hard as hell to aswer...our vhs collection is easily over 200 and the dvd collection we started in sept has climbed within 80 or so only duplicating about 4 movies...Top five in different categories is the only way i can do this #1's & #2's rarely change..#3's & #4's swap out every so often. i pick these by how many times i have seen them, or could watch them:Action: 5. X-Men4. Fists of Legends (Jet Li)3. Batman (original)2. Return of the Dragon (Bruce Lee freak)1. Crow (we need to hang out N8)"You move and youre dead"- "..And i say im dead..and i move" awesome fucking movie!!:Horror:5. Aliens4. Howling (1st)3. Amittyville Horror2. Fire in the Sky1. Elm street (1st...this can also go under comedy) :Adventure/ScFi:5. Total Recall4. Dune3. Jurrasic Park (1st)2. Matrix1. Episode I Phantom Menace:Comedy: 2nd fav category, and the hardest to pick5. Freddy Got Fingered (after i see it)4. Monty Python (anything)3. American Pie 2. Mallrats 1. Blazing Saddles "Mongo only little fish in pond of life":BooHoo movies:5. Robin Hood Prince of Theives4. Before Sunrise3. Swing Kids2. Armegedon (blow me, it made me cry)1. The Geen Mile:Misc:5. Goonies4. The Doors3. Heartbreak Ridge2. Red Heat1. Leauge of Their ownFavorite cat. :Cult Movies:5. Caddy Shack4. Clerks3. UHF2. Waynes World-last count 183 times viewed1. Ferris Buler's Day Off:Sequeled movies watched in order: something will be bumped when Matrix 2 comes out!!5. Terminator4. Indiana Jones 3. Highlander2. Superman1. Star Wars (trilogy seen 4-6 104 times)I think that will do for now...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown[This message has been edited by Superman (edited 25 April 2001).]

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, yum, movies. I haven't been able to see a lot lately, but here's some of my favorites. Lasse Holstrom's (sp?) "My Life as a Dog". No joke, this movies is as close to my family situation growing as any movies I've seen. I was left on the floor bawling after seeing this movie. My twin faves are "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Barton Fink". The first for the tale of a man between cultures and the amazing cinematography. The second for a twisted story and makes complete sense in its twistedness and brilliant acting, especially John Goodman and Judy Davis. DianaPS: If you're a Coen brothers fan (Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo), you *must* see "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?" It's some of their best work and you'll love the allusions to their other films.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Ha!I was hopin something like this was going to happen. grin Good to see so many responses. I have to agree w/[Josh] though on Blade runner. I love that movie- i think that between that and the crow is where I attained my affinity for the rain... My first daughter, provided I have one, will be named Rain.Also, Vampire Hunter D is high up on my list along with Ninja Scroll- sigh, damn good anime.Thank for all the enthusiasm shocked smileN8.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Phoenix1221member
14 posts

Posted:
ah, good question though i too cannot only pick one. my top fav movies would have to be:Hackers (i can now watch this movie without actually watching it. i love the story and the cast including Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller. and not to mention a totally kick ass soundtrack with all three volumes of music for all your twirling pleasures.)The Fifth Element (once again an awesome story line. i love the sci/fi furturistic setting and Bruce Willis was an amazing choice for the lead role. i also think the new language Mila Jovovich had to learn for the movie was fantastic.)Grosse Point Blank (ah a wonderful John Cusack film. i think the main reason why i like this movie is because of his acting and the action/love story plot.)The Matrix (do i really have to explain this one???????)Cruel Intentions (who doesn't like a movie where the main plot is about manipulating people with sexual desires with somewhat of a love story tied in?)not in any specific order. i love so many other movies just as many of you. i must agree with Firecircle and others with Fight Club and Superman with Blazing Saddles.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
gattaca - i love the mood it put me in, i love the story, i love the moral, i love how it was directed, i just really dig it.i also like matrix alot, not b/c of the fighting though, i liked the whole industrial look to it, the black trench coats, the story idea is genius, and this was also directed superbly.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
daaaaamn!! how could i forget Hackers???Angelina Jolie and her lips sent from heaven..oh sorry. reat movie!!!I also thouroughly enjoyed O' Brother Where art Thou. I thought it was freak'n Hilarious!!!Have we all been pumuling ourselves in the head too much lately?? (myself included)Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...GLadiator....I forgot about the new films..Again i usually have to order movies by how many times i have watched them. So those two will be moving up in thelists soon...Hudsucker..man i havent seen that in a while.ooooohhhhhhh daaamn!!!!SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION!! no matter what is on tv, even though i own it on DVD i still watch it evertime it comes on!! i need to redo my list..."Its time to get busy living, or get busy dying"..Incredible movie..See what you did N8!! you got me giddy about movies. They are my favorite subject. I was raised by T.V. and HBO. Somepeople call it sad, but the way i see it, it gave me charater, and personality..In the comedy slots, i would haveto squeez National Lampoon's Vacation, and European Vacation as well.i need to stop or ill name every movie i have ever seen...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
hackers is definately up there on my list. actually anything with angelina jolie is. forgive me i have a thing for her. my favorite genre though would have to be horror!!i love horror movies, i love watching them with others and watching them squirm. that sounds kinda sadistic. i'm still on the hunt for the ultimate horror flick. my definition of this movie would be a movie that will make me scared, to the point that i am paranoid about walking around corners or going to bed at night. i have yet to find that one movie. N8 says one doesn't exist for me. cause i find gore and all that scary stuff amusing. if any of you know of a film that might be the one ......let me know smileso who is everyones fav actor/actress?obvious for me angelina jolie, and for and actor...bruce willis. i also enjoy jim carey. what can i say, i love dumb humor!!!------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
So many...Fight Club, American Beauty, Shower (Chinese w/subtitles...xi zao), Run Lola Run, Life Is Beautiful, Shawshank Redemption, Hard Eight, The Big Lebowski, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo (can you tell I'm into the Coen brothers?), Natural Born Killers, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Primal Fear, American History X, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, U-Turn, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels...a list of things you should go rent right now!

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The Crow series. Yup I even liked number two (I am a parent and so could identify), and I am looking forward to number 3, Salvation.I think the emotional undertow is very haunting and breathtaking. The cinamatography is amazing and who could deny the scores and soundtracks???? (I am a *huge* fan, I have a bunch of limited edition stuff from it)Like the others I adore movies and can not pick one.Kama Sutra: A Love Story is fucking amazing, riveting and it is written so superbly, not to mention it is simply visually lovely.Veiw Askew movies (Dogma, Chasing Amy...) fabulous writing, poignant ideology in a fast paced in your face presentation.Good Will Hunting/Dead Poets Society/Finding Forrester...the push behind being yourself is always inspiring, especially when in jagged wrappings.Train Spotting. It's just a messed up ride.Waking Ned Divine...C'mon, a naked wrinkly guy riding on a scooter is always good for a laugh. Actually, the plot sounds like something my friends and I would try to do so..it's funny.Red, White and Blue..the French Trilogy. YUM!!!Agua Para Chocolate....beautiful.Crying Game...beyond the "shock drop" scene, the plot and acting was really stellar and I was completely entraced all 15 times I have seen it.What Dreams May Come..I could not begin to say enough...oh my god on visual, concept, writing...just oh my god.Labyrinth, Legend, LadyHawk, Princess Bride, Dragon Heart,Ever After,etc...I am a sucker for fantacy/fairy tale flicks, no matter how cheesy/campy.Pitch Black. The concept was great but the dark hero was fantastic and really made the movie for me, no matter how cheesy the trailers were.Name of the Rose (the one with Sean Connery). I love the book and felt the presentation was true to the story and simply put..gripping and intriguing.As you can see, I like artsy and forgeign flicks (my fav tv channel is Bravo!). My list could continue on into eternity but won't..I promise smileFav actors, hmmmm. Three men come to mind.Ben Affleck. He is tasty looking and so versitile. He was great in Shakespeare in Love but then can turn around and put in performances that are touching (Bounce), course (Good Will) and humorous (Chasing Amy).Though my friends would say I like him cause he's tall with dark hair and striking eyes, which seems to be my criteria for the men in my life.Robin Williams. Funny, poignant, realistic, serious...I have yet to see a movie (comedy or otherwise) with him that I did not like.Gerard Depardeau (sp?). I love watching him. He has so much conviction and passion in what he does. He always chooses really amazing movies to be in as well, though my favorite of his is the Conte de Monte Cristo.I have seen all his movies as well, english or otherwise.Female actresses, herm. Diane Weist. Very strong actress and versitile. She makes strong choices and really puts her all into them.Julia Roberts. Ever since her come back she has pushed beyond her limits and really excelled. She too is strongly convicted, throwing herself into all she does. She has this charisma and presence that really transcends the two dimensionality of the screen that I really like. That and I think she has learned to be comfortable in her skin and she wears that well.Emma Thompson. Beautiful, classic, strong and creative. Her on screen presentations are so large and strong I always become enrapt watching her.Think I babbled long enough? Heh. I do.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Phoenix1221member
14 posts

Posted:
so we are extending this to fav actor/actress.i guess for actor i would say john cusack. i love the way he is so straight and to the point which kinda makes it a little funny. of course he was great in grosse point blank. also in, being john malkovich, pushing tin (also a good movie), and high fidelity. ooooo high fidelity, i have to go buy that one, it was reallly funny.alright fav actress? i really don't think i have one, at least no one really sticks out in my head.

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
OK, I have to say that I like or love almost every movie listed thus far, so I will only add three new ones.Dogma- Funny, funny movie, if you liked it an d Mallrats, remember, Silent Bob and Jay are getting there own flickRepo Man- semi-indie film starring Emilio Estevez (spelling?) as a punk rocker trying to save the world. One of the strangest films I have ever seen. Go rent it.Rock and Roll High School-Not even that great of a movie, but it stars the Ramones, who, of course started th punk movement, and without which we wouldnt have some of the kewlest bands today. I miss Joey already frownGood Thread-PSM------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, yeah, favorite actors and actresses. I have to hail John Cussack as well. Have you seen The Grifters? John Cussack, Angelica Huston and Annette Benning. Incredibly good. The three of them positively nail that movie. I also adore Kevin Spacey. LA Confidential, The Usual Suspects, The Negotiator, and a fairly sappy but very well acted Paying it Forward. Diana

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Oh, OK, I see Pele already mentioned Dogma, oops, good flick anyway. Gotta love that "Buddy Jesus"-PSM------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I went home last night and was talking to somebody and talking about my drunken escapades at an apres karate party Saturday night and my adventures falling down the stairs (oh dearie me!) and blamed it on the lethal whiskey beer and oolang tea coctail someone poured me and followed it up with a quote "You bloody fool you should never mix your drinks"And it hit me....I can't believe I left Withnail and I off my fave films! Maybe because I watch it so often it doesn't even occur to me.I even have a quote from Danny as my 'signature'Of and by the way, anti-freeze would no doubt have tasted a lot better than the cocktail I was given.Fave actors? John Cusack is pretty cool I agree, and I also love John Malcovitch (dangerous liasons mmmmm! Cruel intentions was good but not half as fantastic as it's predecessor).Also love Nicholos Cage (Check Wild At Heart, fab movie)And Chow Yun Fat, my complete idol (The Killer, A Better tommorrow and sequels, Edward Norton (FIght club, Primal Fear)Parker Posey is a great actress (Henry Fool), Toni Collette (Muriels Wedding, The 6th Sense) I can't think of many mainstream actresses that make me want to see their movies.Maybe it'll come to me later. But Withnail and I - if you haven't seen it yet, do!!!------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Fav actor?Bruce willis for sure, also love Connery, Dinero, Pachino, and travolta.Actress...Angelina Jolie. Nicole Kidman. Julia Styles. ah- what I wouldn't give.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Lynnie,I also liked the second crow movie. Salvation is already out, it was released right to VHS though, i don't know if it ever made it to the big screen.N8------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
N8, Salvation never went to big screen, neither will the 4th Crow movie (in the making). Blockbuster here hasn't gotten Salvation in yet frown. I am a rent it before i buy it person, though I know i am going to end up with it! smile Finally another person who liked Crow 2 woo-hoo smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

De_Fragmember
26 posts

Posted:
Quidam.

rw

Page: