Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
some ideas I've been playing with:

2 poi basics:

-follow time, swing both poi to the side, then while letting both go push the handle a bit up so that the poi don't spin, just lay in the air horizontally, then catch each poi into the other hand. just a kind of change of hands for the poi. oli does something similar in the nocake vid I think.

-follow time, weave plane, rev spin. just throw both poi at once. the tough part is to make it look good, e.g. to throw both poi with the same strenght and in the same general direction, many times the left hand will throw somewhere else. takes a little practice. not much of an effect IMO but important to know if you want to learn more smile

my variations:

throw, do a 360 pirouette and catch.
throw, catch and go straight to full 180 low turn, then same throw and catch. insert pirouettes at will. VERY tricky unless you do a idle circle before the throw but can be done with a little practice.
throw, do a 180 pirouette and catch btb. here it's VERY important to throw the poi as equally as possible, if you do it well the poi just land in your hands
throw from btb both under the legs
fw spin, throw from front under the legs to back, then do a 180 and catch. tricky cause from the beginning you can't throw too high and have very little time to spot the poi and catch them.

all these also apply to split time throws, some of which are a little easie IMO, esp the one rev > utl throw.

the point in all under the leg throwing is to keep both legs on the ground, just pulling them more or less apart so you have space to get the poi inbetween.

I have not yet explored 2 poi throws in butterflies, especially coz I don't do much bt's and the poi tend to be thrown too far apart to keep track of. but keep in touch, I will get to them sooner or later. biggrin

and now, for something completely different:

Here!

and now back to our topic:

3 poi throws:

just started practicing these. I can hardly do a 3 3 0 tho I'm getting to it, I just need a third poi similar to those I already have so I can try three.

what one poi should do for a start as i see it:
you swing the poi, throw from the inside, poi does a full turn, catch in other hand vertically, change of direction as the poi falls down from vertical position and it goes down into the swing from which to throw it.

tho I'm not sure if it will work with three poi, when I count it there are still some half beats missing. but I think it will be well possible this way tho it won't be very accurate.

questions..? comments..?

I probably will update as I learn more.
biggrin

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Easiest, no that's not the right word...."Least insanely complex" thing to do with 3 poi throws is a 3 poi shower in the wall plane, i.e the poi are always spinning in the same direction, always thrown from the same hand, always caught with the opposite hand.

That means there is minimal things to tangle up.

3 poi cascade is a lot trickier cos the 2 poi in the air are spinning opposite directions and tend to tangle up.

If you can find any pattern where you have time to change direction of every poi you catch i'll be extremely impressed. Best bet is bouce wrap off the leg as this is only quarter beat after the catch and doesn't involve your hands which are busy doing other stuff. That's assuming you're not wibbling them.

Anything that can be done with clubs can be done with poi, apart from holding it pointing straight up in the air.

I finally got round to making 3 poi the same about a year back, but since i use the nicest 2 most of the time they have stretched way longer than the third. I hardly practice 3 at all. But maybe one day. I really like how 2 poi out of a 3 poi cascade looks.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Easiest, no that's not the right word...."Least insanely complex" thing to do with 3 poi throws is a 3 poi shower in the wall plane, i.e the poi are always spinning in the same direction, always thrown from the same hand, always caught with the opposite hand.

That means there is minimal things to tangle up.

3 poi cascade is a lot trickier cos the 2 poi in the air are spinning opposite directions and tend to tangle up.

I actually do very little front throws in the wall plane, most of them go some or other way under my legs. Tho I somehow don't tangle the front plane 330 as much as I think I should.. Anyway for two months worth of practicing throws I still have a long way to go.

Written by:

If you can find any pattern where you have time to change direction of every poi you catch i'll be extremely impressed. Best bet is bouce wrap off the leg as this is only quarter beat after the catch and doesn't involve your hands which are busy doing other stuff. That's assuming you're not wibbling them.

me too..; ) nah, in the wall plane that might be a problem but like I do it in front the poi change direction as I catch them and I always throw from reverse spin. the leg bounce is a nice idea tho it assumes jumping around quite funny.. never mind have to give it a try..: )

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
How do you start 3 Poi?

[new pants for practising smile]

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
good question Richee smile

Shower:
well if u can weave one-handed w/ your right hand, and spin the 3rd poi with the left hand:
then throw one of the poi with the right-hand, make one more spin with the remaining poi. Throw it & transfer the left hand 3rd poi to the right hand and throw the last one.
then you'll only need to work on catching wink

cascade:
much tuffer to keep the 2 poi in the right hand not to tangle, before beeing thrown!
pendulum the 2 poi in parallel time, then release only one
the purpose is to do a split-time outward BF pattern to release the poi.
I found releasing the poi from the hip or chest level is tuffer than throwing overhead

as ever try these:
release both poi at the same -time or split-time
starting with two poi in one hand & vice-versa
with long arm
crossed throws ...

to resume:
you gotta work hard on your "catches", "transfers", and "one-handed releases (&catches)"
it's way easier with doubles or clubs/torches. So give it a go with clubs aswell
you can try poi-gling (2poi + 1 ball) as a good starter (to get the toss timing)

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
the real question is does this belong in the juggling forum or poi forum

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
neither, it belongs in the wibbling forum wink

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.