Forums > Social Chat > EEEK!! Scared, Excited, Nervous...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Agh! I'm so scared. I'm applying to go to york next year... and it seems I've got my "non-englishness" sorted enough to just do the regular application... Really its even mostly a formality if I don't screw it up.... Altho I have to get a letter from a professor and I'm not sure who I should approach.....

But omg I'm so scared. So so so so so scared and I can't concentrate on anything and I have no idea what I'm doing and and and ....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
calm down dear!

just keep thinking happy thoughts! hug

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
youll be fine hug

back

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't even know what I'm doing tho.... I know nothing about applying to british universities, or what the acceptance process is, or any of that stuff....

I keep trying to read the ucas website and getting distracted by incredible amounts of nervous energy....

plus i'm all old for this lol, i'm scared of going and being a fresher when i'm ... well.... older than them. And foreign besides.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
There's many mature students over here. Don't know if you'll have many in the US, but, for example, in my course at Liverpool there was four mature students, two over 40, two in their 30's. Doing Chemistry in Hull there are two who are probably late 40's, 50's. They are coping fine.

... the only thing you'll need to worry about is the fact that a large amount of people will mock your accent. (With good reason)

Willy - is bad for your health...

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
hahaha, but you've all got "english accents" and we Americans speak proper English.

All Americans know that.

ubblol

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lol all americans may know that but you also elected bush again

need we say more?

back

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
If we had English accents we would have elected Kerry?

eh? eh?

wink

I vote Communist, don't blame me.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm too old and foreign and I'm fine here. Though it's Edinburgh, not York wink

Application was really easy (but then it was "just" for a Research PhD), there seemed to be some foundation for Americans that helped, might be the UCAS you mentioned. Apart from Americans there's usually just sponsorship for UK or Commonwealth people, so I had to find an industry project cause most of the other interesting ones were UK residents only...

and Kael... *I* speak proper English. I've had American army radio stations and MTV from Britain, and I've lived in Canada for a while... the only thing missing is Aussie/NZ, but I hated Neighbours... so, I went for the best accent smile (British English with some German, apparently now a Scottish way of going up and down with my voice, and the occasional Northern English or Irish word because I think that's cute, and American for things like "vitamin"). The reason is, Germans usually sound ridiculous when trying to put on an American accent to be more international ubblol

good luck Kyri!!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Er, LeMonkey... I don't sound american! I sound less american in america than i do in britain (as I do say things like "RES-pri-tor-ee" and what not occasionally, but I got away with being assumed things like swedish and german once i'd been there a week or so... and at this point with my speech patterns going so british and my vowels doing so when i'm over there, I don't worry one whit about being taken for american.

I'm still clearly not british tho....

glad to know you guys have a lot of mature students (and i'm not actually *that* old, just a good bit older than a normal student....) we really don't here in america, not in the undergrad programs....

I do have an admissions tutor I can talk to, he's really nice, (I think he is american actually, but been over there for awhile) but I still feel like a walking doofus sometimes plus i don't want him to think i'm an idiot, he does make decisions about whether or not I can go there!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Don't worry hon! I'm sure everyone will love you!

York isn't that far away from me either tongue

What are you applying to do?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
BioChem. which is also scary.

I'm going to visit and poke at things in november, too, so I'll be able to get a feel for all the little things I need to figure out to ease the actual starting scare, i think applying is much scarier!

But I'm worried I'm forgetting things, and between that and all the paperwork i have to turn in here, I'm getting all buried under buracracy...

yeeep!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
You should "file" the paperwork in the shredder. That's what i tend to do biggrin

Does that mean you're over here in land of rain in Nov?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
am indeedy, Nov 4-Dec4, muchly in york, but i'm trying to organize a meet-like things there biggrin

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
I'll come up to York!

if you don't mind a Pink visiting you? ubbangel

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yay! Not in the least. I may or may not actually have anywhere you can stay, as i'm crashing on floors in shoebox sized rooms often, but methinks you anr't far... ou should definetly come up and play! Its a fun city smile

bounce bounce

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I hear BioChem over here is quite easy... they only take 3 years for it!!! (Might explain why we get all these project students who don't know how to hold a pipette in their final year...)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
It takes 4 years in america and i'm sure they don't learn as much as the brits tho tongue

But maybe it will be easy, I don't know. I'm just feeling nervous. I havn't studied chemistry in five years now, and its been four since i did too much with maths.

I think I'm just scared cause its been a little bit since I've been in school and its a new subject muchly....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

I hear BioChem over here is quite easy... they only take 3 years for it!!! (Might explain why we get all these project students who don't know how to hold a pipette in their final year...)

Wrong. We do farrr more credits per year.

Plus, Biologists don't have that many teaching laboratory classes. Maybe 5 hours fortnightly. I do 9-5 mondays, and can hold a pipette well.

Willy - is bad for your health...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Er, LeMonkey... I don't sound american!

Liar!! wink I knew you were american the moment you opened your mouth in my vicinity at Falmouth!!

But then, I'm one to talk. I went to visit my sister in Florida, and after a week, I had picked up the accent so well that people thought I had lived there longer than she had... Took a while to get rid of it, too...

In this Country, you have to be over 21 to be a mature student. I managed to get in fine without A levels, and lousy GCSE's. You'll be fine, But hug anyway.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I wasn't arguing that I didn't count as mature.... I surely do... well, by the standards of british school anyway tongue

Damn, had I fecked things up again at Falmouth? It must have been Judith and Nick and Arashi and Andrea all talking around me... bah. I was doing fine from when i left london up until then for the most part....

How *could* you tell the LTC, as I don't have a "placeable" accent... is it word choice, or vowels, or what?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
If you ever get confused or scared or anything else, I'm right there in room 316B (Langwith College).

Good luck, and I'll see you soon! smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yes, but I'm not *THERE* yet... and i'll only be there a month... and it seems like i should be done applying by then... altho maybe not....

*runs in a circle*

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
A month is plenty of time to find all the good pubs, which is, in fact, what's important.

You won't have any problems getting here I'm sure, you're not carrying a nail file which might cause problems at customs do you? ubblol

The Application'll be easy. You'll be fine. Here, take some tranquelizers... biggrin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I've already been to the best pubs in July biggrin

getting over will be fine. Its the application which is scary. I may well need some tranquilizers tho. I'm absolutly spastic. I can't read anything important and make sense out of it right now. And I still don't know who to get my letter of recommendation from.

*tries to calm down*

And there's a holiday starting immenently, which is also cause for stress. When October is over life will be so much better for so many reasons....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Just breathe deep, maybe spin some nice easy poi (No energetic/stressful moves), take something to calm you down (Hot Chocolate works for me) and read a good book. Eventually you'll forget you were stressed.

Maybe you'll forget about the application... wait... that's baaaadddd... biggrin

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lately the only poi i do is hyperloops. i just stand in one place and do hyperloops ... and since no one here pois they think i'm that much more insane....

ok, ima watch a movie!

very rare of me, but i do need a break, and its nearly nightfall....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Don't worry too much about the maths - I don't think it can be that much of an important part if there's only 3 years for all the other stuff! But then I only know about my degree (which was 2 years of physics, chemistry, chemistry, chemistry, anatomy, chemistry, zoology, chemistry, toxicology, chemistry, plants, a bit of maths and laws and more chemistry before biochemistry started seriously). If you need any help with chemistry feel free to ask me, I've supervised chemistry for medics for a year so I should be able to explain most things smile

Lemonkey, sorry if I sounded like I was having a go! But you should've seen the 2 we had this year, and people from all unis here tell me there's less and less practical training at unis (which seems to be true from what I see in labs). I don't have the slightest idea about credits so I'll believe you there wink

The funniest thing though was the guy I met in a lab in Germany, he was from Morocco (and had a degree there), and he insisted he shouldn't have to pipette cause it was the women's job to do that ubblol Turned out to be a really nice guy once some of the prejudice on both sides was overcome...

(G.W. Dahlquist)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

IHow *could* you tell the LTC, as I don't have a "placeable" accent... is it word choice, or vowels, or what?

You do have an accent. At least you did at falmouth. But then I notice accents a lot/easily. And to me, an american accent sticks out a mile. Most accents stick out a mile to me, because I pick them up so easily. I can spned a day with australian friends, and I end up talking just like them in a matter of minutes.

It was too far back to remember exactly what told me, but something did. Maybe something like the way you laughed, even body language/behaviour can tell people that you're 'not from this neck of the woods'. Or you probably pronounced a few vowels different to the way I'm used to hearing them in England. I pick up on speech very quickly. Probably because I can't stand these Britons that can't speak the language, let alone chew it up and spit it out... When you come over, I'll endeavour to meet up with you, and see if I can tell what it was again...

Not that it's a bad thing. Accents are sexy. biggrin

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
AMERICAN accents are sexy??????

And thanks birgit smile Chem itself went ok for me minus some maths errors (I reverse numbers) I'm really just trying to get into genetics anyway.... biggrin

Its the application process itself thats driving me the most wonky atm, but i'm calmer today than yesterday thank god.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Some american accents are, yes. Well, to me, anyway. But not the southern accents, that's for sure... Not too hot on which accents are from where, so I can't go into more details...

Be Water My Friend.

Page: