Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > backwards 5-beat weave help!

Login/Join to Participate

aznkid19SILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
lo guys. i've just started spinning and have become quite the addict although for the moment i've been stuck on a move (gotta hate it when that happens) for like 3-4 days now with NO improvement whatsoever.

the backwards 5-beat or 4-beat weave... i can do the forwards 5-beat smoothly, but the backwards version.... ASFDLKLJSF! smile i understand the motions of it, as in what i should do with my hands etc. my problem is that by the time i cross over to the other side of my body the poi are not in split time anymore. in other words, when i cross over, no matter how hard i try, the poi that SHOULD be following, speeds up.

let's say i'm crossing from left to right. for more clarity: my right hand is to the left of my left, but it is leading. when i do this, even if i add NO momentum to my left poi and just let it carry itself while pushing my right one, the left poi (which should be behind) speeds up and catches my right one. it's because the cord of my left poi gets quasi-wrapped around my right wrist as i'm pulling it through, thus shortening the cords length, thus speeding it up. whether i try to go slowly or fast or whatever (i've tried everything i can think of hehe), by the time i get to the other side, i'm not in split time anymore. is this a common problem or am i being ridiculous? ubbrollsmile

any help would be appreciated!
thx

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
practice practice pracitce.
really try to send the leading poi over to the other side as soon as possible.
that's all the advice i can give.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, I've been able to do forwards 5-beat and backwards 4-beat for months and months but for some reason I can't get that extra beat backwards. I know exactly whats going wrong- I can't get my lead poi to move back over to my right side, I know the moment its meant to do it, my wrist just refuses to do it.

Solution=practice more.

(if not dislocate wrist)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
is it perhaps that you are wary of getting the poi in your head that makes you hesitate.
that can easily happen on backward moves:P

aznkid19SILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
i wish it were that simple. i know for a fact that this is not the case seeing as i went through a stage where i hit myself in the face EVERY TIME i tried to do the move. ffs thank god that's over hehe. like i said, now the problem is with split timing and i can't seem to make an improvement.
oh well. i guess i'll just need to "practice practice practice" smile prob the best advice i can get anyways!

bleh i'll get it sooner or later cool

was just wondering if someone had the same prob and came up with an approach or something that worked for them!

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
yeah like i said about the split timing itself.
try to send the leading poi to the other side as soon as possible and try to send the other one as late as possible:P
its not a very good explanation but i suck at teaching
redface
i dont really remember how i o the split timing but my 5beats are clean and split nowadays:P

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
i find i can never tell very well how good my split timing is until i see a vid of my fire poi or some vid. i dont practise at all, my 5's a really smooth now, which i am stoked about. it really is just practise practise pratise. maybe do it infront of mirror. if you get into the habit of doing it infront of mirror it can help with alot of other tricks, like iso's.

my cords dont get wrapped around my wrists when im doin 5's, maybe you need to wrap your wrists more around each other, if that makes any sense. sounds like you have diagnosed the prob already. maybe its just practise to more flexibilize your wrists (yes, i just made up a word, but you know what i mean).

its not esential, but both palms should be facing inwards as much as possible for rev-5-beat weave...atleast in my experience.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
You might find it easier with a thru-wrap...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I think a thru-wrap was what he was trying to avoid. smile

So you've got the hand motions down for the forwards five beat, and you've figured out the not going too fast thing, and you find yourself doing the cheaters version of the move. ok

All I can suggest is to pick a side you want to work on, I'm right handed and I find it easier to learn things on my left first, but I could just be a freak do the three beat on that side, add the extra beat, then just let the whole thing collapse.

It's sort of like doing the three beat, then adding the extra beat then it's "over" just go into reverse spinning. Try it again, three beat weave on your right side, then five beat on your left,,,,collapse. Once you've got the hang of not wrapping your chain around your wrist, learn the other side.

Once you've got the hand motions sorted out, then it's time to work on timing. I've noticed most people have the same timing issues when they first learn this move. The poi always seem to catch up and they end up pulling them across to their other side in same time,,I sure did.

Then it's just a matter of time practicing, counting, and thinking about a nice even split time....... Hope that helps

aznkid19SILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
hmm. i just came to a realisation... maybe i'm finding it so difficult because i'm using sock poi? if i was using normal poi, i would have a little more room to use before the chain (or socks) get tangled on my wrist. i don't know if i'm making any sense or being clear, but perhaps having my sock-poi starting from my closed fist instead of having a chain that starts from my fingers makes a difference? any thoughts? maybe i should buy some of those beginner poi smile

thx for all the help so far btw... been trying but not too much progress tbh. the only way i get results is if i completely stop spinning the left poi (this being on my right side) and let my right-wrist carry it around and over to the other side as i cross over with my right poi. this looks kind of sloppy and forces me to go WAAAAYYY too slow for my liking though frown. oh well