Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Learning order? Necessary to learn a move before a perticular other?

Login/Join to Participate

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Okay, Im still a new newbie ^^

Are there any perticular moves that you should try to learn BEFORE you try more advanced moves?

I can do

3 Beat Weave
5 Beat Weave
3 Beat BTB Weave
Butterfly
Mexican Wave
BTB Butterfly
Chasing the Sun
Windmill
Giant Windmill
Buzzsaw (The simple split swinging between arms)
Simple airwrap in front of body

I dont know how to do Buzzsaw Weave and stuff in that advanced class, and before I try to learn those are there any moves that are good to be able to do? Moves that will make it easier to learn more advanced moves.

Cheers guys and girls!
Thylith wink

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Learn all of your reels before doing anything else! I think one version is in the tutorials here as "low wave" but you should be able to do the same thing same-direction and opposite-direction, starting from every direction, forwards and backwards, same- and split-time!

And then the same at shoulder height. Windmill and chasing the sun are pretty much variations on shoulder reels anyway so you've got a head start.

Knowing all of these is *essential* to good spinning later on! Without them you'll never be able to move through different moves gracefully or be able to spin various things.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the quick answer.

Im really sorry for my english, but what is a reel?

And I forgot to tell that I also can do all those Weaves I said reverse too..

So I should learn all the "Free Lessons"-moves before I carry on with more tricky stuff?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
This is one example of a reel:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/17

A reel is where each poi does a figure of eight with each hand by your hip. The one in the lesson above is an outwards opposite direction same-time reel smile

Perhaps the easiest way to think about reels are that they're like continuous turns. If you turn from forwards to backwards like in this video

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/15

and then turn back to forwards again try and get it so you're turning from forwards to backwards and back again without any breaks. Once you can do this then turn your body so the poi are flat on to the poi (like they are in a butterfly or windmill) and have the poi going from forwards on one side to backwards on the other side of your body - that's a same-direction reel.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
reels smile

colel. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Thanks alot guys! It really helps me out very much! smile smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Also I'd suggest practising moves over and over again until they're perfect. Many people try to learn as many moves as possible without practising what they've just learnt enough. doing so will make you a better spinner and allow you to learn the next move quicker.

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
Agreed Dom smile Although it may be more immediatly satisfying to learn new moves, getting moves you've already got perfect will probably help you be more confident in the long run. Especially if you're spinning fire already. When I was at your stage I also found working on turns and different ways of linking moves helped with my general style quite a bit.

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
For me, I'd say try and do them all in one long combo,

for example: Chase the sun into a reverse weave into a 3 beat weave, then a buzz saw into a 5 beat into an air wrap before doing a leg wrap (or whatever your preference is) into a butterfly before doing a giant butterfly into a bth butterfly into a mexican wave.

And try and do all of that with just 1 rep of each.

Then get on to things like Lock outs (which are just pauses in a weave for example, so they spin free for a beat or 2), TTN (a butterfly when you alternate which hands on top, punching the air in slow motion as you change hands) reels, fountains (3 beat weave to reverse in interesting fashions), corkscrews/windmills, flowers (basically 4 lock outs in a giant forward alt time spin), before going onto things like waist wraps, 5 beat reverse, and the nastier tricks along that sort of line.

Woof.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...