gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Ok. Last year the people of the UK (Simos originally)started a discussion about all of us meeting up for a big gathering with a day of spinning and a night of fire.https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000016.htmlA gathering was decided apon.Problem, WHERE and WHEN was never agreed on.BIG GREEN GATHERING was suggested because ofthe no show of GLASTONBURY, The Drome was also suggested. We need to do something this summer, all of us. If anyone hasANY ideas or suggestions on what is going to happen then post it HERE, NOW. Imagine if we could all meet up for one CRAZY DAY grin. How cool to put faces to names. Thats it, hope to hear some cool ideas or not depending on what mood you lot are in. Lots of posts please.Peace outgarbo tongue[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 28 March 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey i am glad you are still interested garbo...i finish uni in mid-june and will definitely be working in London from 25 June - 6 July and maybe just a little longer depending on my flight arrangements... so if we don't come up with anything big in the meanwhile i'll be in touch and maybe we can arrange a small gathering on a weekend or a night out at the drome... wink come on people you know you want to!!! grinhappy swinging,Simos

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Sounds truly yumptious. Are you thinking about meeting up at an event that's already arranged or just getting together for some twirling somewhere?

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Don't know yet, maybe just in London or @ a festival somewhere. I thought Guilford festival would be very good. I went last year ands it was a great laugh. Met some fellow poiers there aswell.Was a GREAT weekend apart from the occational down pour.peace outgarbo tongue

170 posts

Posted:
Haven't been that one for a couple of years, but everyone says it's getting bigger and better each time. Will they let you play with fire there - I got the impression that security wasn't too keen on it (probably after the erm, "impromptu bonfire" they had last time I was there!!!). When is it going to be this year - bank holiday weekend?Noods smile

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Last time they were letting people, I don't know about this time. Maybe if we were going to do it we could talk to the organisers before hand. They are usually quite cool about stuff like that.Keep o posting peoplepeace outgarbo tongue

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
WHAT A GOOD IDEA! tongueLAST SUMMER ME AND SOME FRIENDS WENT TO WALES(ABOUT 2 HOURS DRIVE FROM MANCHESTER)FOR A PRETTY BIG PARTY.WE CAMPED,CYCLED, DID POI, SPUN STAFF, DANCED AND ENJOYED THE BEUTIFUL COUNTRY-SIDE.THIS YEAR WE HAVE ALREADY STARTED TO PLAN A 'GLASTONBURY ALTERNATIVE'. I'D BE HAPPY TO SHARE MORE DETAILS IF ANYONE ELSE IS INTERESTED! NOT REALLY A DAY THING THOUGH, MORE OF A WEEK-END EXPERIENCE.WHAT DO YA REAKON?--------------------------------------"some people see the world as it is and ask why?. Others see the world as they want to and ask, why not?"

170 posts

Posted:
Wheeee, sounds lovely! Not sure about transport out there though - my heap is running like a demented percolator at the moment. Still, might be fixed for summer.....Noods

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hia garbo.. yeh, i think now, cos it's all sunny, is a good time to talk about summer smile I finish uni on 4th May (wey hey!) and have no plans yet for the summer. What i was thinking (despite suggesting festys on the last msgs.. most of them are cancelled this year, and no doubt the govt will still be cacking thier pants over FMD) is that a meet in london would be easiest to arrange and then we could go clubbing after which would be good, but i should imagine there would be a few probs with spinning fire in any of londons main parks..are there any londoners that know of any smaller parks we may be able to spin in without hassle fromthe cops? If not, maybe, some countryside around london.. on the outskirts (may i suggest the lovely region of Kent smile )A further thing, anyone thinking of heading to the summer solstice at stone henge? I havent been b4, I'm thinkng it will be maybe little too crowded (and i heard they dont like fire?). but anyway, if anyone is going, would be good to meet up. grinSo yeh.. meet over summer, we must arrange this cos it would be really good time, and if we did go clubbing we could 'wow' everone with our amazing poi-ing abilities.. eheheh! smile)Love.

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
I finish on june 18th. anyone else fancy it.comeonpeace outgarbo tongue

170 posts

Posted:
Hiya peeps,When I was at the last summer solstice at Henge I think there were some fire performers there doing their stuff before dawn. It was only the one group as far as I can remember and it may have been by prior arrangement - besides it was raining all night so the fire risk was pretty much zip. I'll hopefully be in Zimbabwe (Bish - how bad are things there at the moment, any idea??) trying to catch the eclipse at the solstice grin grin grin, but if that falls through then 'Henge is a must (depending on FMDV, of course). The good news on FMDV is that, at least round our way, the commons have re-opened. The bad news is that fire is EXTREMELY unwelcome on them, especially in summer. London parks - It's ages since I've been up town but don't alot of them shut at dusk? Never really been to Kent - heard it's very pretty though and lots of seaside!!!As to Guildford festie, a friend asked the organiser about people doing fire stuff there and he's has asked me to call him and give him more details as to what we'd want to do. Any suggestions....? I'm new to all this and pretty clueless so your feedback would be much appreciated. Is anybody interested? Would we want to keep it informal and just have a play around for a few hours or perhaps do proper performances? Let me know what youz iz finkin'Noods

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Informal would be better cause otherwise people would like be expecting something. I don't know what does everyone else think.peace outgarbo tongue

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
we should deffinately do something guys.a weekend away sounds like a wicked idea,althogh london my be a good stop gap.wales is great 4 me but we should pool all the peoople who r really up4 it and c what place suits every1 geographically plus im sure therell b lifts going.ive just put in a proposal 2 Bristol community festival 4 a performance/procession so if any1 is local and wants 2 get involved give me a n email.have 2 c wether its accepted or its even still going ahead(alternate site needed)but ill keep people posted.i guess we need 2 tie it down 2 location and date and then help people with transport accomadation.c ya'll soon------------------Love,Peace and HappinessRob

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Het rob how u doin,havn't seen you for ages. He is right we need more people, a date, a location and somebody who could kinda act as organiser.peace outgarbo tongue

170 posts

Posted:
Erm, from the long silence I gather no-one wants to put themselves up for organising a big get-together.Instead of a big mega-bash, how about a)local meets (London, Nottingham, etc) as and when people in the area fancy and b)if anyone is going somewhere special and potentially poi friendly ('Henge, festies, seaside jollies), they just post it up and others can turn up if they're in the area?Just a thoughtBestestNoods

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
The Exodus free the spirit festi (at junction 13 of the M1 august bank holiday weekend usually) is very fire friendly, Easy to get to, free if you hitch, free to get in, free camping, no police on site and is a great party to go to. How about it?If I'm in the country I'll be there & would be happy to meet up with all.Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

Matt Hippymember
7 posts

Posted:
Yep, yep, yep, I'm well up for a large summer dance, by the way, Hello Thistle you little minkster, how the hell are you? I will see you in a few weeks no doubt, but meanwhile, keep on smiling!!! Exodus sounds like the bunny we need to be chasing, that one will lead us to Wonderland!!!The Revolution is Coming....MattyPeace and Love

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Exodus is a good idea. I know people who have been and they say its great.I still think that a meeting in London is agood idea, anyone agree.peace outgarbo tongue

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
yeap i am up for a meeing in London too smile Exodus sounds interesting but unfortunately i won't be in the UK then i think...how about something in late June garbo? are you gonna be in London then? i might be coming on the 12th of May too, it's a Saturday; if you can we can arrange a small gathering then although i'll be soooo embarassed since i haven't practised in aaaaaaaaaaaaaages due to my exams frown it will be a laugh though...are there any places where we can spin fire in London? we can hopefully go to the Drome and swing glowsticks wink i guess....happy swinging,Simos

170 posts

Posted:
Exodus sounds luvverly - how many days does it go on for? Bit of a wimp on the London front....very scary place - too many people and not enough trees. Drome sounds so fab though...hmmmm, will stew on it awhile.Noods

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Officially Exodus is Fri-Mon. It's got great memories for me as it was the place (1999) I first saw fire-poi so i suppose you could say it's the place of my birth! Last yr there were loads of firepixies. I met some lovely ppl and had a ball!Hopefully some of you will be there too this yr. That would be fantastic!!!Onelove,Thistlefirepixie smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 13 April 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hey, yeh, exodus sounds great, if anyone knows when exactly it is.. us Uk ppl should try arrange a meet there, i can;t think it would be too diffisult smileChlo

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller