kayakingmember
6 posts

Posted:
HiI'm just about to make a fire staff, and i was wondering what size I should make it.I'm kinda short, so i don't have a very long arm reach. Is there any kinda guide that i could use?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I would suggest you make it short enough that you can swing it under your arm when outstretched horizontally...ie not more than about 1.8* your arm length. This will make it shorter and more manouverable (spelling?)www.incendium.org has instructions on building your own as does Adamrice's fire page (sorry adam, cant remmeber the URL). Both of these pages offer really good instructions on building your staff.However - the length of your staff will have a big impact on how you twirl...if you have a short staff, you can do a lot of between the legs stuff, that is a lot harder to do with a longer staff (if it's even possible) and you can do more horizontal turns on each arm, cuz it will fit under your arm - you will know what I mean soon, if you dont already smileHowever with a longer staff, there are other tricks that are shitloads harder to do on a short staff (shoulder, head, arm, leg rolls for eg). Personally I like the dynamic of the shorter staff (4 foot) more than the longer staff (5+) but thats more personal preference...even tho there doesnt sound like a lot of difference between 4 and 5 foot, when you twirl one you will know! smile)My double staves which I've just begun construction of are 1 metre long each..but they are a bit different smile) for single work I'd recommend longer...(ie 4 foot).have fun, and remember, single staff is one of those toys that is only as limited as your imagination...Josh

kayakingmember
6 posts

Posted:
thanks man