Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > moves/combos with 2,4,8 or 16 beats

Login/Join to Participate

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Hello,

I find that when I'm dancing or practicing it is a good idea to have musical timing in mind.

Some things I really find useful to have 'up my sleeve' are moves or combos with guaranteed musical timing.

A good example of this can be to use the TTN 2 & 4 beat variations - moves with useful musical variarions like this are good to play and experiment with to tunes.

Any others? smile

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Or you can try and find music in 3/4 or 5/4 or 7/4 etc. - any good jazz waltz (3/4), Dave Brubeck's 'Take 5' or 'Mission Impossible Theme' (5/4) or . . . erm . . . some other ones (7/4) all help, and if you're trying to nail a wacky trick (I'm at the moment trying to nut out the 5bt reverse) they can certainly help.

And if you need anything whacked out like in 11/16 or something insane like that, PM me and I might have something on CD smile

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
That's a good point, AATJazz, and it does make me kinda realise I haven't spun to anything non 4/4.

Might give that a try...

Should be noted though that probably 90% of people's spinning tunes will be 4/4 so that is probably the most versatile timing to practice for.

Jo. smile

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I dunno Jo, theres some pretty crazy time signature dance music that seems to very popular in some poi circles these days smile

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Do you know an artist name I can check out, Chutney? I had no idea.

Jo. smile

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I don't listen to alot of really modern stuff sadly (poi often works best to trippy trance music) but for some stuff more in my field of knowledge, check out 'Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' - they do alot of crazy time signature stuff (specifically, look for 'Almost 12' - it's in 11/16, if you ever decide on the spur of the moment to try an 11-beat weave . . . ); other good stuff around, I'll get back to you when my brain is more in gear (and not idling roughly and belching clouds of exhaust).

You're right though Jo, the vast majority of music is in 4/4, particularly stuff usually used for spinning. I'm still relatively novice, but for matching up to 4/4 stuff I've been doing combos of different butterfly variations (mixing in mexican wave, over the head, giant, ttn etc.) in four-beat combos, continuous forward-backward-forward weave transitions (unfortunately leaving you very dizzy) and a few things like that.

And hey, why not just write your own music? You can just change time signature whenever you want! wink

jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
i don't poi on music that often, but i've done it on some raw hip-hop beats and it ROCKS...

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"