Forums > Social Chat > September 11-Current Poll?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
What exactly is meant by the current poll?

"will you be performing these arts on Sept. 11" ???

Is this asking me weather I will refrain from spinning my poi that day out of respect?

...or what?

Az abouve, So below...

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi DFQ,

I think the poll is asking exactly that, I know that from my point of view I will not see this day as any different with regards to spinning. However some of our american friends may choose not to spin as a mark of respect to the people that were involved in the tragedy of last year.

Mark P

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I kinda wondered too...

Probably Malcolm will explain the meaning of the poll... that's why I answered don't know ... because with all due respect I won't refrain from spinning because of the celebration day. Otherwise I'd keep NOT spinning for every memorial day of every tragedy that occured in the world .. and there are oh so many ..

good question though, DFQ

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
I just think it's a rediculous (sp?) thing to ask.

*"Do you get the day off work?"* ..maybe,

but stop spinning? eh?

PhEH!

Az abouve, So below...

4,224 posts

Posted:
::handing DFQ some herb tea so she can chill out and calm down::

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hey DFQ they know it will take more than that to stop most of us spinning

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
its cause the poi could be seen as symbolic of the planes that crashed into the twin towers, so some of the more sensitive americans might break down in tears every time they hit themselves and thats just not fun.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
*gives flow a huge squishy hug*

Miss you sweety. There's not enough sarcasm around here damnit!

*takes long hard gulp of herb tea*

'aaaah...'

Thankyou Beautiful Danae...just what I needed

Love ya'll xxx

Az abouve, So below...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure what spinning has to do with it. Is spinning somehow "un-American" or something?

I mean, seriously, folks. I don't know if I am going to spin that day or not, but if I do, it will be my way of celebrating freedom, not thumbing my nose at the victims and their loved ones.

The only concern that I have is that the police are likely to be on hyper-alert that day and I don't want to spook them.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Right-on Mr Ginny

How could spinning be an insult to the victims of the attacks?
In my opinion, it would be a nice idea to get togeather and have a spin as a mark of respect. Or maybe even as a celebration of the lives that were saved..

Just my opinion though...

Az abouve, So below...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
The question does enter my mind - should that day be a solemn day of remembrance, or should it be a celebration of our strength as a nation? Or both? Of course we must pay our respect to the victims of the tragedy, but is fire spinning disrespectful in any way?

Personally, I don't see fire spinning as something that would be taken out of context like that... but if we light up, it would definitely be best if we tailored it to fit that day. I saw somewhere else on the boards that we might have a burn involving an "eternal flame of remembrance" that everyone lights off of, or other, highly respectful and symbolic gestures involving our arts.

Will I spin on 9-11? If I do, it will be in a context that does justice to the memory of the victims, not a "let's get drunk and forget what today is while we dance around like fools" situation.

Like anything else, fire to us is an art. Art can be used to glorify, demonize, respect or disrespect. So spin respectfully, remember those who aren't with us anymore, and celebrate our unity as one race, I guess. And if you happen to offend someone, just put it out and walk away - can always spin another day.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Don't take it personnaly Brody but that "other day " you are talking about might be some other people's memorial day for a tragic celebration too ...

I know I am in france and with all due respect to any victim from any tragedy i don't mean to offend the memory. i just think that this is slightly "ego-centric" or rather "culturally-centered" if you'll excuse my poor english and please try to understand what I mean by that ...

And again ... i don'tmean to start a whole argument on US is bad etc ... I just try and give every one the same value and therefore respect every people's pain...

If i was somewhere in the states and spinning (or actually doing any kind of artistic / dancing / happy thing) and someone told me what I do insults the memory of ... I'd try and discuss it but most probably I'll stop doing it and move away.
But that's not because it is september 11th only, I'd do just the same in any country if it was the memorial day of some tragedy...

do I make any sense ?

4,224 posts

Posted:
And i must confess, that quite often I don't think solemnity is the expression of pain ...

I've seen people laugh and dance the day after they burried loved ones and I swear that, as non-solemn non-PC as it seems, they too were expressing their pain and respect ...

it is a very intimate thing in the end ...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think any group spin might benefit from a moment of silence and togetherness before and/or after the spin.

I see the moment of silence as a symbol of sadness, paying respect to those we lost, and a promise to never forget.

But I see the spinning as a symbol of our resolve to triumph over these evil acts, to pick ourselves up, and to press onwards. I also see it as a celebration of life. It's a great day to look inwards and realize how lucky we are to be alive.

Yes, keep it somber, keep it respectful, and definately keep it sober. But remember the lesson of the phoenix.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
It would take 2 broken arms to stop me spinning....sorry to whoever thought up the original poll. (Just in case they aren't going to spin and have any issues with me for doing so)

Random hugz for anyone that knew anyone....
((HUGZ))

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
*gives DFQ a big squishy hug back!!*

I just can't believe that there's a lack of sarcasm anywhere in england, but thanks anyways.

is it ironic to anyone else that when spinning poi for freedom you might get hassled by the police? Like throwing a party to celebrate freedom and having it shut down by the police.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Yeah there have been a lot of free parties that have been interupted by the police lately.

We have got permission to do fire in a park in Bath then on Monday we had a record turnout (around 40 people) and a couple of people came with drums. It was really nice to have the drums playing while spinning but the Hotel across the road decided to call the police.

The police were really nice they said there was no problem with s spinning as they knew we did it regularly there but they had to react because of the complaint. Since then Oli(Ithaca) has talked with the police and the council and we are thinking of getting a Public Liability contract drawn up so that they wont be able to hassle us again

Mark P

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
I was about to write some long post then realized I was saying all the same things as Cassandra.

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
i have no idea what this thread is trying to say.. no one in america cares if you do poi on sep. 11th.. thats just retarded.. i think its more of a question of fear. everyone here is gonna do whatever they do normally. i may take a momment of silence for the lost lives and it will be on my mind but im not worried about people being offended by poi.

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sorry to break this mood of reflection etc. But I'd like to know what DFQ means by "There's not enough sarcasm around here . . ."

Am I not sarcastic enough for you?

I could try harder if you like.

Meh

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
quote:
Don't take it personnaly Brody but that "other day " you are talking about might be some other people's memorial day for a tragic celebration too ...
There would be a definite difference between spinning in, say, Europe on 9-11, and spinning in a park in NY that day (where a ton of ppl who lost loved ones might be congregating). Cass hit it right on the head there; I'm sure every day is a tragic one to somebody somewhere on Earth, and if we tried to account for all of them by not spinning, there'd be no spinning.

I think the survey question may have been mostly geared towards Americans, because we're the ones most affected by 9-11, but it is an honest and interesting curiosity whether or not ppl will adjust their fire routine for the day worldwide.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
Sorry to break this mood of reflection etc. But I'd like to know what DFQ means by "There's not enough sarcasm around here . . ."

Am I not sarcastic enough for you?

I could try harder if you like.

I think my brain would implode if you tried to be more sarcastic Cantus

Oh yeah, I won't be spinning on September 11th, just because I don't usually spin on a wednesday anyway, same as Malcolm.
However, I don't think it'd make a difference anyway - I doubt many people would skip a meditation or exercise session if it fell on September 11th, which is what poi spinning is to me.

[ 05 September 2002, 09:36: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
It's an interesting question. In the US almost no businesses are running TV or print adverts that day as a large number of people would see it as a mark of disrespect and think negatively of those companies. In a twist of fate this is causing companies to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, further destabilising the economy.

Personally I believe if anyone who thinks it's disrespectful to have fun on Sept 11th the sometimes painful fact is that life goes on and the living need to keep living. There's better ways to live life and create something positive from loss than sulking and being miserable.

Always interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

Mean not nice guy, that is friendlymember
92 posts

Posted:
i wish they made perfomance flags with the U.S. flag on it.
Wouldn't that be sweet, anywhoo.
Brody man Nooche-noochies. that is tottaly right mabey spinnin' in da park ain't such a good idea......unless it is FOR N.Y.C. man.

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I will in fact spin on the 11th,Isee it as a tribute to those that passed,fighting terrorism by not changing my life because of their actions.
If people break downand cry that is good it means they will never forget,as it should be.
I only wish I had fire poi to properly show my respect to this great nation.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
If you just buy a couple of small flags, and spin them like clubs, you can get pretty much the same effect. If you attach something to the base it'll be easier to grip between your fingers.

The question that REALLY needs to be asked.. Will you refrain from doing drugs on september 11th to show your support of america's war on terrorism. How about avoiding Fallafels until next thursday.. That would also help the war on terrorism right?

Personally, I'll have a cheese burger with bacon on top and I'll smoke only american grown marijuana!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Oh!!

Here's another question for you..

Do you show as much remorse and sadness over the 4000 deaths of 9-11 as you do for the millions of deaths in WW1 on 11-11 (memorial day)?

Personally I think WW1 was more tragic, they were mostly boys of less than 19 years of age, and they were conscripted to die in a war that had nothing to do with them... Waaay more innocent deaths there.

92 posts

Posted:
WARS ARE STUPID!!!
Can't we all just get along.

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
hmmm if we smoked some afgani would it be unpatriotic? I think it would be sybolic of smoking the ragheads(no offence to anyone not involved in the attack)besides most "afgani"that I have seen was grown here.puff it up for freedom,
forget the bomb hit the bong.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

92 posts

Posted:
Very patriotic.......So much it shall bring a tear to thine eye.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think for a lot of America the impact of September 11th is so strong because it's the day that the US perspective changed. The US became the victim and the general public had an alien, outside world forced upon them. Whether or not that perspective change has been used for benefit or harm is another debate.

Another bit of perspective here. Conservative estimates reckon that every day at least 3200 people die in armed conflict across the globe. That's a 9/11 every day of the year, 365 days a year. Across the globe (including the US) tens of thousands people die each day through lack of clean water, food, medical treatment and shelter. I'm not saying this to try to lessen the loss in the US on 9/11, but to point out that on the grand scheme of things 9/11 was just another day. It's what is said and done afterwards in it's name that will be judged by history.

Oh, I really hope that raghead comment was a joke. If so it was a crap one anyway.

[ 05 September 2002, 21:57: Message edited by: Dom ]

Page: